Never Off the Hook

Silence. Staring.

It was the longest and most agonizing ten minutes Lisa and Jisoo had  ever experienced.

When no one spoke, Lisa decided, out of frustration, to stand up, pulling Jisoo up with her. The older girl looked at her with questioning eyes.

"Let's go."

Then she looked at her mom, seemingly with a less stern facial expression, and calmly said, "Mom, Dad, if you're not okay with all of these, then me and Jisoo would be staying in a hotel. Don't worry, I would still attend the monthly staff meeting and finish all reports."

And with that, Lisa again nudged Jisoo. Jisoo, deeply saddened by the turn of events, started to rise from the couch.

"Lisa sit down, please.", Tisha ordered. Her tone is now calm and without any trace of anger or disappointment.

Lisa stopped in her tracks and gritted her teeth, but nonetheless went back to sit, so as with Jisoo.

A few seconds of silence again, then Marco, in her baritoned voice, laughed, which made both Lisa and Jisoo furrow their brows.

"Hohoho hoho! I guess I have to prepare dinner now."

It's just what he said before standing up, walked closer to where Jisoo and Lisa are, and gave them each on top of their heads a gentle kiss. It confused the two but they did not have the chance to ask the big guy what was that all about when Tisha spoke.

"That's all I need to hear from you two."

Lisa and Jisoo are now more confused at her words, but nonetheless waited for anything she might add.

Tisha exhaled deeply and smiled at the two young ladies in front of her.

"I'm sorry if I said harsh words. It wasn't my intention. I wanted to know how much you love each other, in a very sincere manner. And I couldn't count on both of you to do that in your normal and happy-go-lucky selves, because from the beginning, both of you were never sure of your feelings. I have no objections on your relationship, but all I wanted was to know how sincere you are with your feelings for each other. More than your words, I saw your sincerity and how deeply and madly in love are you two with each other. I have to hurt you with words because the people around you will do the same. How you deal with the words I said would show how much you would do for your relationship and how far you would go for it to survive. I'm happy to see you both finally got together.", Tisha finally said.

Lisa and Jisoo are wide-eyed with their jaws dropping almost to the ground.

"You mean you were just testing us??!", Lisa asked.

"Yes, I guess I just did!", Tisha said, now fully smiling.

"Mom!!! You almost gave us a heart attack!!", Lisa exclaimed.

"I'm sorry! I just wanted to be sure.", Tisha explained.

Jisoo was still in shock that she was just looking wide-eyed with mind boggling alltogether at what just happened. She just snapped out of it when she heard Tisha, who was already on her feet, called her name.

"Jisoo?", with open arms. Jisoo though still dumbfounded, stood up and tearfully walked towards Tisha's embrace.

"Forgive me for the harsh words, Jisoo", Tisha whispered in Jisoo's ear the moment they embraced. Tisha felt Jisoo shake her head and said, "It's okay Mom. I understand and thank you so much!"

Eventually, Lisa joined the hug and gave her two lovely ladies a tight hug.

While still hugging, Marco peeked out from the kitchen.