Part 1: Justus

"Justus, what's wrong?"

The long touch down Justus's spine felt like a snake. Squeezing his shoulders together, he held in a shudder.

"Justus."

Yustus, he thought, feeling tension knotting in his chest. Yustus. Yustus. He knew the English "jay" and the German "yot" looked the same, but how hard was it to learn the difference in one letter? How can she still not get my name right? I learn all of English and she can't learn one letter?

"Ich bin müde. Bitte."

He felt her sigh on his shoulders. "You know I don't understand that."

You don't try to. "I am tired."

"You said that last time."

Justus hugged the body pillow closer, looking into the darkness in the room, silent.

Kelly sighed loudly, turning over. "Date a muscley German and you expect to get laid once in a while."

Justus opened his mouth, about to ask her—again—but stopped. Again. She'd never understand... that. She won't even learn my name. "I am going back to Germany next week."

"Why?"

"I must talk with Anton about the app."

"Can't you just call him?"

"Nein."

"Fine. How long?"

"I come Thursday."

She snorted. "Better late than never."

#

Ten hours across the Atlantic felt like ten years with her body scorched into his mind.

"Hallo, süßer."

Her deep voice calmed his soul and warmed everything else. He exhaled for what felt like the first time in months. "Hallo, Katrin."

"Kommst du um mich zu sehen?"

"Ja. Heute Abend?" Justus hoped tonight. Katrin was always busy, but he had to try. Striding through the Cologne airport, the passersby, the tap of his boots on the tile, the gaudy ads, everything faded away beneath the sound of her voice and the strum of his pulse. He should've been thinking of Anton or the app—hell, he should've been thinking of Kelly. But every thought came back to her. And what she did to him.

"Okay. Bring mir ein Geschenk. Etwas sexy."

A smile crawled across his lips. "Ich werde."

"Tschüss, süßer." She kissed into the phone, a sound like a spark, and hung up.

Pausing in the sterile airport terminal, he pondered her request. "Ein sexy Geschenk..." Looking around, a storefront lit in pink and black caught his eye. Sculpted mannequin legs displayed tantalizing rainbow hosiery in the window. He bit his lip. "Hmm."

XXL--the largest size in the one he preferred, the lacy red stockings making him half-hard just on the mannequin. It would work well enough. The saleswoman with the smokey eyes and purple lips raised her sculpted brows at him as he swiped his credit card through the machine. Justus didn't look at her again.

#

His feet knew the route to Eiskalt Erwischt better than his mind. All of his body knew it better.