Part 33: Essa & Erika

Essa waited in the lobby, running her hands along the fuzzy cat ears and black mask she held. Normally, the incoming guests to the hotel would've given her odd looks—she was dressed in a dark green fishnet shirt, black bra, long purple jacket, purple slacks and grinning red and white makeup. But the other guests were all dressed in their costumes too. Two Batman cosplayers, one man and one woman, had already asked to take a picture with her. Their reactions confirmed what she already knew—the hard work on her costume had paid off.

Being a part of the fantasy atmosphere was a thrill. But there was one other thrill that was more on Essa's mind; the beautiful woman she hoped would be on her arm soon.

The front door to the hotel opened. Essa looked up. And beamed.

Erika was even more striking than her picture. Her leather skirt, bustier and gloves made a perfect frame around her finely muscled, dark brown stomach. She strode in, tall and strong, with the heels of her boots and the whip on her hip making a rhythmic cadence. Even without a mask, she was the spitting image of Halle Berry's Catwoman.

Essa knew it immediately; she wanted Erika.

Erika's eyes lit up. "Are you Essa?"

Essa nodded. "Yup. And you—look amazing."

Erika laughed. "First time wearing this in public. Do you have a--"

Essa extended the mask and ears.

"Perfect." She placed the ears over her short, curly hair and tied the ribbons on the mask. "Do I look like Catwoman?"

Erika beamed. "Oh yeah."

"I've never been to one of these things before. Am I supposed to, like, act like her?"

"You can if you want to, but you don't have to. People might want to take pictures with you, though. But you can say no, of course."

"Nah, it's okay. So, should we go in? Where is this event?"

Essa couldn't stop smiling. "Just up here, let's go." Essa started down the hall, unconsciously extending her arm as she went. Erika linked her gloved arm through Essa's, sending a surge of warmth through her. "There's, um, there's shops where you can buy nerdy stuff—not sure if you're into that, but I am—and there's some costume contests, games, we have two tickets to dinner, there's a chocolate fountain and—" she opened the doors to the conference hall.

"Oh, wow."

A crowd of colorful, costumed cosplayers crossed the room and through the long aisles of booths. Capes and cloaks twirled, giant robots and living trees stomped past, rainbow anime hair and fuzzy boots glowed like bright flames. Some stopped to take pictures, throwing up peace signs or taking up poses. Through the aisles, Essa saw hundreds of paintings, shining jewelry pieces, swords, armor, costumes, t-shirts, and more. At the edges, cosplayers and plainclothes event-goers played tabletop games and card games at tables, video games at massive flatscreens, and even tested VR headsets. Towards the back of the room was an elevated stage with blue curtains, vacant, for now.

"Isn't it cool?" Essa grinned.

"I didn't think the costumes were this—much." Erika laughed. "This is really cool."

"Should we check out the stuff? This is one of my favorite parts."

"Yeah, for sure."

Still arm-in-arm with Erika, Essa joined the crowd and started down the first aisle. "Anything you want, let me know, I'll get it for you."