Chapter 20

Kala seemed rather pleased with this as he stuck him across the chest, thus tossing him to the side with the force of the blow and to the ground. He ignored Jerome and pounced on his target, pinning him to the ground, jaws open, ready to kill him.

Jordan's eyes widened. "Mitch!" He cried out and tried to get up but cried out in pain and collapsed again.

Sqaishey covered her mouth in shock as she stood back like Jordan had told her too.

"N-no!" Tyler cried out, tears welling in his eyes.

Mitch weakly looked up at Kala, the fire drained from his eyes. Everything was blurry and we couldn't move.

"LEAVE HIM ALONE!" Jerome ran at Kala. As if it were magic his strength was restored, and he relentlessly swung his axe at the beast. His face was filled with pure hatred, his primal animal instinct taking over.

Kala howled when the axe hit him and back off slightly, dodging the mad Bacca before moving and biting into the handle of his axe, snapping the wood between his jaws, breaking it. He was growling in anger that he was interrupted again but another glance at Mitch laying on the ground seemed to snuff his anger out and he stepped back and vanished into the shadows.

Jerome growled in Kala's direction before he dropped his axe and ran over to Mitch, collapsing to his knees beside him. Mitch was lying on the floor, a large cut diagonally across his chest. He was knocked out cold, having passed out from blood loss. Jerome lifted up Mitch's head and set it on his lap, his breathing quick and heavy. Jerome quietly sobbed, his back turned to the others.

Jordan moved to where he was leaning against a tree for support, quietly watching Mitch and Jerome, eyes worried and fearful.

Sqaishey slowly moved over and handed him his glasses then hesitated, unsure if she should approach the others.

Tyler stayed frozen, his sword still in hand. He looked down at the ground and shut his eyes.

"B...Benj...?" Jerome whispered. "Buddy...?" He set a paw on Mitch's cheek and looked down at his chest. The cut was big, but thankfully it wasn't too deep. Blood stained his ripped shirt, pooling on the grass around them.

Jordan looked down at Jerry before sighing. "Jer, go do your thing." He told him. The slime looked at him, hesitating but Jordan nodded and Jerry let go of him and hopped over to Jerome and Mitch, hesitating before spreading himself across the wound on Mitch's chest, suppressing the blood flow.

Jordan winced, feeling the warm liquid start to flow from his own wound again but shed his jacket and tied it around it instead.

Jerome looked up at the little slime, giving him a faint nod. Under the slime Mitch's breathing began to slow to a normal rate. His hands slightly twitching.

Sqaishey came over slowly. "... Is he waking up?"

Jerome's ears perked up, noticing his small movements. Below him Mitch's eyes slowly began to open, Jerome's image just faintly visible.

"Jerome, I can't see anything from here, you gotta communicate." Jordan told him.

Tyler went over and placed a hand on Jordan's shoulder. "Give him a moment..."

Mitch blinked, his eyes opening even wider. He gave Jerome a small smile.

"Mitch...?" Jerome's eyes widened.

"H-hey Biggums..." Mitch whispered back.

Sqaishey gave a sigh of relief seeing him wake up.

"Benj!" Jerome pulled him into a hug, sobbing into his shoulder. "I'm so sorry bud!"