Chapter 30

Sqaishey stirred awake a while later and looked over to check on Mitch. She seemed content to see he was getting rest now instead of trying to stay awake.

Mitch was fast asleep, his jacket wrapped around him like a blanket. Jerry still rested on his stomach and was also dozing off.

She chuckled and smiled. She came over and tapped his shoulder gently. "Mitch?"

"Mmh...?" He slowly opened an eye.

"How are you feeling?"

"Better." Mitch moves up and leaned on his arm, rubbing his eyes. "I think the bleeding has stopped."

Jerry made a noise of agreement as he woke.

She smiled. "Good! Just take it slow and we should be able to get looking for the others."

Mitch nodded and frowned. "I feel like they should have found us by now..."

"Yeah..." She offered her hand. "Ready?"

"Yup." He reaches out and grabbed his hand, slowly getting on his feet and stretching.

"Great, Let's get started." She turned and headed into the forest.

Mitch followed her. He looked down at Jerry and gently nudged him, telling him that it was okay if he moved off of him.

Jerry hesitated before slowly moving off his side and wrapped around his arm instead making a small noise.

Sqaishey looked around for any sign of the others. "Should we call for them?"

"Maybe... who knows how far away they are though..."

She nodded and cupped her hands around her mouth. "Jerome? Tyler? Jordan?! Can you hear me?" She called.

"HELLOOOOOOOO?!" Mitch yelled, his voice echoing amongst the trees. "Anyone there?!"

Birds chirped and flew away from the noise but that was all that answered them.

Sqaishey sighed. "Guess not..."

Mitch sighed. "Guess they're further than we thought." He stepped over a crack in the ground.

She nodded. "Yeah..."

"I'm sure they're still out there though!" Mitch smiled at her, trying to be as positive as he could.

She smiled and nodded. "They have to be."

"Yeah!" Mitch reached another crack, this time having to hop over it. Were they getting bigger?

Sqaishey looked at the cracks as she followed him. "I wonder what caused this..."

"I'm not sure... Probably Mr. Demon or something." He had a mocking tone in his voice.

She giggled. "Probably."

"Looks like the ground is getting worse though."

"Yeah... that's a bit concerning..."

Mitch continued to jump over the cracks and holes in the ground, each progressively getting more difficult.

Sqaishey was struggling a little more than he was but was doing her best to keep up.

It wasn't long until they reached a large pit in the ground that they wouldn't be able to cross.

"Well... Now what?" Sqaishey asked.

"I don't know..." Mitch looked over the large gap. "They couldn't have gone across here!"

"I don't know... Jordan can apparently teleport..."

"You got me there... But what about the others?"