Chapter 26

Meanwhile, Sqaishey had fallen asleep, leaned up against a tree and Jerry was still wrapped around Mitch.

Mitch stayed sitting on the ground, his eyes darting around the now destroyed forest. The sun was beginning to set by now, engulfing the forest in an orange hue.

Jerry looked up at him and made a small noise.

Mitch looked down at the slime and smiled, giving it a small pet. "It's okay... We'll find them soon."

He rubbed against his hand, making a content noise.

Mitch sighed and continued to pet him.

Jerry suddenly tensed up and made a concerned noise, looking over into the shadows close by.

"What is it?" Mitch followed his gaze, freezing as his eye caught something strange.

"Well, well... Hello again." Kala's voice rang out as he stepped forward.

"Y-you?!" Mitch's eyes widened.

He laughed. "Yes, me... My, my. I did quite the damage, didn't I?"

Mitch didn't say anything and nervously looked down at his chest.

Kala stepped closer and Jerry made a small warning sound, trying to make him stay away which he laughed at. "Oh! How cute!" Kala chuckled. "You really think you can protect him from me, little slime?"

Jerry hesitated, making a small uncertain noise.

Mitch turned to the side, placing an arm around Jerry.

Kala just grinned wider. "And here I thought you might be a worthy opponent. Yet you almost died so quickly..." he taunted Mitch.

Mitch frowned and looked up at Kala. "S-so?! I'm still alive!"

"I could change that... No one is here to protect you..."

"What do you mean?! I'm not alone!"

"You're friends aren't with you, and without them, you're nothing." He snarled.

"Shut up!" Mitch's voice rose.

"Heh, you know it's true..."

"No it isn't! You're lying!"

"Am I? Prove it! Fight me." He challenged.

Mitch began to sit up. "Oh yeah?! Bring it- AH!" Mitch clutched his stomach and cried out in pain before slinking back to the ground.

Kala howled with laughter. "You can't even stand on your own!"

Jerry squeaked at Mitch in concern.

"Yes I can!" Mitch tried to get up once again but to no avail.

He continued to laugh. "No, you really can't..."

Jerry squeaked louder in protest.

Mitch was shaking now. Grunting loudly he pushed himself back up onto his knees. Slowly he stood up, the blood rushing to his brain and making him dizzy. His stomach ached even more, and he was nearly on the verge of tears. When he got up he slightly swayed to the side, unable to stay still.

Kala chuckled as he watched him. "You... You really won't quit, will you?" He asked watching him, not moving to attack.

"Not until... Not until I get out of here..." Mitch panted.

"I don't even have to do anything, if you keep pushing this way... You'll end up dead rather quickly..."

"No I... won't! I'm living no matter what you say!"