Chapter 43

They walked through the rain as it poured down hard. They were completely soaked in seconds, and could barely see a few feet in front of them.

Sqaishey covered her eyes wincing. "I can't see anything!"

"Don't worry, he can't be too far." Jerome sniffed the air, he grabbed onto Sqaishey's arm and continued to walk.

It wasn't long until they could see a silhouette in the rain.

"Mitch?!" She called out, shivering from the rain.

Mitch was standing still, his face tilted towards the sky and his eyes closed. He flinched when he heard his name, but didn't move.

Sqaishey opened her mouth to call out again but stopped and glanced away.

Jerome laid a paw on Sqaishey's back and nodded before he walked up besides Mitch.

"Biggums? You're going to get sick if you stay in the rain."

Mitch shook his head. "And...?" His voice was very quiet, and was nearly drowned out by the sound of the rain.

"Well there's really no way to get you better if that does happen here."

"Why does that matter? Maybe it's best if I just get sick and die, all I've done is cause you guys trouble..."

"Mitch... We need you to come back..." Sqaishey admitted softly.

Mitch turned to her. "After everything I've done? I threatened you all, made a deal with the devil, and almost killed my friend. It's just like you said, I'm a traitor." It felt as if he should be angry, but he wasn't. His face was filled with regret, and he wished he was anywhere else at that moment.

"I... I know but..." She sighed. "We've all made mistakes... I have made mistakes... I was angry and hurt by what happened... but I shouldn't have treated you like that either."

"Almost killing someone isn't a mistake! Trust me, I know. That's a choice that you make! Even if I was hearing things I still chose to listen to it!"

Sqaishey looked down, unable to respond to that.

"Mitch that demon was manipulating you. He didn't cause me to go all 'feral' or whatever. That was all me... I did something I promised you I'd never do, I'm sorry." Jerome stood in front of Mitch now, a paw firmly gripped on the other's soldier.

"W-what...? That can't be possible!" Mitch looked at Jerome in disbelief.

"Even if I was raised by your kind I still can't shake my roots. No matter how human I may seem, I'm still just a big, dumb animal inside."

"N-no! If you really reverted back then you would be vio-"

"They found me when I was young, My animal instinct wouldn't know hunting. Everything I know about combat came from you."

"Bu-but..." Mitch was crying now.

"Why do you think I seemed so timid? I had completely forgotten my ability to fight. But..." Jerome gave a small smile. "You still protected me, even if you were a bit harsh to the others. You were really willing to make a deal with an enemy just to save me, even if it cause you to do something horrible in return."

"O-of course! I-I'd do anything for you! I'd die for you, even!" Mitch's voice cracked.

"Please don't ever say that, Biggums. Never put yourself before me." Jerome looked down, the large scar across Mitch's chest still visible. "You've already hurt yourself enough for me while we've been here."

Mitch glanced away, his face slightly red. "He could have killed you..."

"He could have killed you too."

Mitch fell silent.

"Look Mitch, I love you, we all do... I don't know if I could handle it if anything happened to you. Please come back... we need you."

Mitch only continued to cry as he suddenly pulled Jerome into a hug, wrapping his arms around the bacca's waist. Jerome looked surprised, but complied and set his head on top of the other's.

Sqaishey watched and gave a small smile as they talked, but stayed out of it. She didn't belong in this conversation...