Chapter 23

The others had found a cave to rest in for the night and headed back out the next morning, trekking through the woods once more.

As they walked the forest became less and less dense, the flat ground becoming more steel and forming into hills.

Jordan gave a sigh of relief and smiled a little. "See? I told you guys this was the right way!"

"You sure?" Tyler asked, wiping the sweat off of his brow. "For all we know this could just be another trap..."

"Well, at least we can see better." Jordan huffed.

"I guess." Tyler smirked and rolled his eyes.

Behind them Jerome was still carrying a half-asleep Mitch on his back. "Race you guys to the top?"

"I think I should pass or I'll hurt myself..." Jordan responded but Sqaishey grinned. "Sure thing!" and took off.

"Wh-Wait a min-" Mitch bolted awake as Jerome suddenly began running over the hill at a surprising speed despite the extra weight in his back.

Tyler perked up at the others and was about to run until he looked back at Jordan, still seeing the state that he was in, and decided to stay back with him.

Jordan chuckled. "You can go if you want. I'll be up there in a second."

"No it's fine." Tyler gave him a smile. "I don't wanna leave you alone here."

He smiled. "Thanks." He replied and were the last ones up the hill.

Jerome had his hands on his knees, looking down at the ground and breathing heavily. Mitch was no longer on his back and was sitting on the ground, jacket now tied around where he had been attacked the night before.

Jerry was placed around Jordan's side, determined to protect it. Jordan laughed at the sight. "Maybe you shouldn't have run."

"You know what..." Jerome huffed and frowned at Jordan, causing a chuckle to come from Mitch.

Sqaishey was laughing as she kind of panted too. "And I beat you!" She grinned.

"Yeah but that's because I was carrying Mitch!" Jerome argued. "I woulda beaten you otherwise!"

"Uh, huh! Sure!" She giggled.

"Wow, Jerome, you gonna take that from her?" Jordan teased.

Jerome sighed and flopped down onto the ground next to Mitch. "Ugh fiiiine, you win."

Sqaishey beamed, laughing.

Jordan chuckled and joined them on the ground.

Tyler smiled and looked over the hill into the distance. "Uhhhh guys? Do you see that?"

Sqaishey turned and gasped. "Is that... A beacon?"

Mitch turned around and squinted, a faint beam of light was barely visible in the distance. "Hm, I guess it is..."

Jordan made a small "huh" noise. "Should we start heading towards that?" He asked.

"I mean... Jason did mention a beacon..." Tyler wondered aloud.

"So maybe we can find them there." Jordan pointed out.

"What are we waiting for then?" Tyler grinned. "We just woke up! No time for sitting around!"

Jordan stood up and carefully stretched. "Alright then, lets get going!"

Sqaishey beamed. "Race ya down hill Jerome!"

Jerome bolted up and look over at Sqaishey. "Oh you're on." He scoffed before running down the hill.

"H-hey!" Mitch called after Jerome, getting up onto his knees.