Chapter 29

Penelope led him down the halls until reaching another room and knocking on the door.

A moment passed before a faint, "Come in..."

Penelope smiled and opened the door. "Hello darling!" She greeted, dragging Jason in behind her and letting the door shut before she let go of him and went to greet Phoebe. "I brought you-"

"If it's him, I don't want to see him." She replied coldly, keeping her back to them.

Penny sighed. "Phoe... He has something he wants to tell you."

Phoebe sighed. "...You told him, didn't you?"

Penny nodded. "I did."

Phoebe groaned softly before muttering, "Fine." and turned around to face Jason. She was wearing a dress similar in style to the one he saw in the mirage where the sleeves revealed her shoulders but was a dark navy blue. Her hair was all the way down and she ran her hand through it, bringing it to lay on her shoulder but her ears still poked through. "What do you want?"

Jason stared at Phoebe with wide eyes, unsure of what exactly he was to say. He knew just the smallest slip up could get him killed.

Phoebe crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow. "Well?"

Penelope nudged Jason forward a little. "Go on."

"I um..." Jason was visibly sweating a bit.

Phoebe huffed. "If you're going to insist on wasting my time, you can just leave." She told him, turning away.

"Starlight, come now, must I tell her for you?" Penelope asked him.

"W-what do you want me to-?"

"He told me that he still loves you, Phoebe!" Penelope interrupted.

Phoebe froze.

"N-no I didn't!" Jason objected.

"What are you talking about? Yes, you did, Starlight!"

He shook his head and turned to face Phoebe. "Listen St- Phoebe, you're my best friend.... You've helped me through this entire nightmare... please come back... I need you..." He nervously held a hand out to her.

She stood still, back still to him but slightly turned to see him. "... you know I'm not her anymore, right?"

"She's still in there! I know it!" Jason still had a hint of fear in his voice.

She frowned. "No. She's not. She was me the whole time. Stella never truly existed."

"Yes she did! To me she was real!"

"Well she's gone now!" Phoebe snapped. "Because of you!"

"I didn't mean to!"

Phoebe huffed. "Sure, but you want her back now, but it's kind of late for that now. It's not like I can just... Switch between the two of us... It doesn't work like that." She told him coldly.

"I know ok! I just made a mistake, I'm sorry!"

She sighed. "Alright... But I'm telling you, she isn't coming back... Does... Does that change your view of me?" She asked.

Penelope watched them.

"I..." Jason seemed lost in thought for a moment. "I'm not sure..."

"Then you don't 'love me'... Do you?" She asked.

Jason fell silent.

She scoffed. "That's what I thought." She turned away from him. "Get him out of here." She told Penelope.