Chapter 60

Tyler shook awake and bolted up into a seated position. His heart was racing and sweat dripped down his face. He had no idea why we woke up. His arm didn't hurt, and he didn't have a nightmare. When he looked around we realized everyone was asleep, even though it was the middle of the day and they had promised not to.

"Well hello there." Kala's voice spoke smoothly but quietly as not to wake the others. Though he knew it wouldn't if he were louder.

Tyler's body immediately tensed up, and he refused to turn and face the demon.

"Oh come now. It's not nice to ignore people."

"G-go away!" His voice shook.

"Make me."

Tyler didn't respond and stayed where he was, finding himself not able to move.

"That's what I thought." He smirked. "I see your friends are all taking a cat nap... and speaking of cats..." He grinned wider. "I know where one is..."

"W-what?!" Tyler finally turned around to face him, gripping tightly to his broken arm.

Kala was grinning as he leaned against the wall. "Oh, you wanna know where the kitten is? Perhaps you also want to know where the space ranger he belongs to is as well?"

This got Tyler to stand up. "Jason?! He's here?!"

"Both he and his kitten." Kala confirmed.

"Then I really did see him get pulled in..." He thought of that night with the portal. "WHERE ARE THEY?!" He yelled, not noticing the fact that the other's around him didn't budge from his screaming.

"Like I'd tell you." He replied. "And besides, you don't seem to be in the best shape to get there even if I told you..." He replied, looking at the arm. "Maybe I should," He bared his sharp, blood stained teeth and growled. "finish the job."

Tyler's eyes widened and he stepped back, tilting his body so that the injured arm was hidden from view. "H-haven't you d-d-done enough alr-ready?!"

"I don't think you'd like that answer."

"You-!" Tyler frowned, though it still didn't hide the fear in his eyes.

He laughed. "You wouldn't even be able to fight back against me!"

"Even if I can't fight back..." Tyler mentally prepared himself to pull out his sword. "Just don't touch them..." he glanced around at the others.

"Like you could stop me."

"I know I can't." Tyler admitted with a sight. "But all of us could." He looked nervously around this time, finally realizing the lack of movement from them.

"And who says they will wake up before they're dead?"

"W-what did you do to them?" Tyler's hopeful attitude quickly drained.

"Nothing harmful. Just a simple mind trick I know, they'll sleep until I leave or will them awake."

"But..." He looked back at the demon, realizing that now he was alone. Alone just like he had been these past few years. "W-why me! Why do you have to torment me like this?!" Tyler's voice cracked, and he sounded like he was about to cry.

"Simple. You're one of the weakest links in this group."

"I-I'm not weak! R-right...?" He stared off.

"Depends who you ask I suppose..."

"W-well... I-I'm certainly not asking y-you!"

"You are the weakest of this group. Even the girl is stronger than you."

"That d-doesn't matter! She can be just as strong as everyone e-else!"

"Clearly."

Tyler fell silent and looked away, still trying his best to not cry.

"Aren't you the least bit curious why I haven't attacked you yet?" Kala asked.

"I can guess. You like to see us like this. Killing me now would just ruin your fun." Tyler quietly responded. "Unless you have yet another reason."

"Hmmm.... no. That's pretty much it." He grinned.

"D-don't look at me like that!"

"Why not?"

"You d-don't deserve to have fun out of this!"

"Are you gonna stop me?"

"I-" Tyler looked away again, his body shaking.

Kala chuckled. "Point made."

"S-SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP!" Tears began to roll down the other's cheeks.

"Why should I?"

"You know you h-have nothing to d-do! Y-you're just h-here to mess w-with my head!" Tyler cried.

"Maybe I am." he replied.

"D-don't be so v-vague! Y-you totally are!"

He just smiled back at him. "Are you sure?"

"Y-Yes!" Tyler's face was somehow a mixture of fear, frustration, and hesitance.

He chuckled. "Well, my job here is done." He stood up and turned towards the entrance. "Unless there's something else I need to do?" He looked at him slyly.

"G-get out." Tyler scowled, still holding onto his broken arm.

Kala chuckled and walked towards the entrance of the cave before suddenly wiping around, transforming into his beast form and lunged at Tyler, snapping at him, inches from his face.

Tyler screamed and took a step back. He let out another cry as he tripped over a sleeping Sqaishey, falling to the ground with a loud thud. His already damaged arm hit the ground first, pain searing through his body and bringing him to tears.

Kala howled with laughter. "You really are a weakling." He taunted as he stood over him.

The pain in Tyler's body made him unable to move. He tightly shut his eyes and looked away, afraid to see what the demon was going to do to him.

"I could just finish you here and now and when they wake up they won't know what happened to you. And they'd never find out unless I told them."

"P-please don't k-kill me..." Tears streamed down his face. "Don't d-do that to them..."

"Would they even care? It's not like I'm killing the cat or the little slime."

This caused Tyler to open his eyes. "They'd care!" He responded, mostly in an attempt to convince himself.

"Would they? Are you really sure about that?"

"O-of course!" The sound of uncertainty could be heard in his voice.

Kala looked down at him, not saying anything, seeming to debate whether or not he was really going to drag him off. Of course he'd enjoy that but he was here to play with his head and the others.

He reluctantly stepped back. "I'd keep an eye out from now on. I have unfinished business with you." He then vanished from sight.

Tyler's heart raced in his chest. The cave turned completely silent for a few seconds before he loudly choked back a sob. He slowly sat up, every movement causing more pain, and leaned against the wall. Pulling his knees up to his chest Tyler buried his head and began to cry.