Chapter 27

Jason and Stampy wandered the halls of the palace for what felt like hours, the layout of the building seeming to have changed. They were tired and lost, not knowing which way they even came from.

Stampy groaned and slumped to the floor, leaning on a wall. "Ugh, it's been hours! Where is she?"

"I don't know!" Jason let out a heavy sigh and sat beside him. "Everything here is different!"

Stampy looked at him. "We don't even know how to get back to the room, do we?"

"Nope." He put his head in his hands.

"Great..." He sighed softly, ears lowering. "...Now what?" He muttered.

"I guess Penelope doesn't want us to find her yet."

"I-" Stampy stopped, raising his ears. "Shh, there's someone coming..."

Jason froze and fell silent.

Footsteps clicked against the floor as faint humming reached their ears. It was quiet and barely auditable.

Then someone came around the corner.

A sharp gasp filled the hallway.

Stampy looked up, ready to flee or fight but froze when he saw the newcomer.

Soft purple skin, purple hair flowing against her back, revealing pointed ears and purple eyes. She was wearing an indigo dress.

Jason looked up at the girl, a look of surprise and confusion on his face. She seemed familiar, yet he was sure he'd never seen her before. It wasn't until he locked eyes with her when he realized. He took a sharp breath, covering his mouth with his hand as his eyes widened.

"S-Stella?!"

She looked surprised before quickly letting it vanish and her face became void of emotion except mild resentment. "I'm sorry, who?" She asked. "Stella?" She repeated the name before realizing. "Oh. You must mean the little android girl. I'm sorry to inform you, but she was killed."

Stampy's eyes widened and he looked at Jason in fear.

"W-what?!" Jason began to tear up, feeling utterly defeated. However it didn't take long for it to turn into anger. "WHAT DID YOU DO WITH HER?!" He practically screamed, having to stand up to reach her level.

She looked down at him. "I? Nothing." She replied. "She was murdered by some foolish mortal boy who shattered her fragile glass heart." She told him coldly.

"N-no..." Jason seemed to shrink. "T-that's not true! ... r-right?"

"You tell me." She replied.

Stampy looked at Jason, confused.

Jason nervously looked at the ground and didn't say anything.

"That's what I thought." She replied, watching him. "There's only so many cracks one can try to repair," with a flick of her wrist, heart made of crystal like glass hovered above her hand. Cracks ran across the whole thing but they were lined with glue to try to hold it together, but the center by far looked the worse. It looked like nothing but cracks. "Until there is nothing left to break." She lightly tapped the center and it spiderwebbed and the whole thing collapsed in her hand. She frowned at it before dumping the shards at Jasons feet. "Her heart shattered from being broken far too many times."

Stampy's eyes widened, staring at this strange lady who Jason had thought was stella. "... If... If you aren't Stella... who are you?"

She turned to him. "... Phoebe."

For the first time since Jason had been in the palace he had a look of genuine terror on his face. He just couldn't hold it in anymore, his whole body began to shake and tears began to fall down his cheeks.

Stampy stared at her before moving beside Jason, placing a hand on him to let him know he was here before glaring up at her. "You could at least so some sympathy!" He growled.

"Why should I? He's the one who broke the last piece." She replied coldly. "Such a shame too. She really seemed to like you." She sighed. "I suppose you could say she was in love with you."

"Wh-what...?" Jason choked back a sob.

She rolled her eyes. "How else can I say it? She was head over heels for you, smitten over you, cherished her time with you, was infatuated with you. She did whatever she could to make you happy, whatever you asked, she did her best to do. She was naively and blindly in love with you." She scoffed. "And you never even noticed."

"I-I didn't... I'm... an idiot..."

Stampy sighed. "It's not like you could tell! She was supposed to be your AI. You were her captain. It could have easily come off as that!"

Phoebe watched them, her eyes still angry and cold.

"No... It was obvious..." Jason admitted. "And I just... ignored it."

Stampy's ears flattened. "Jase-" he tried.

"What?! You can't just tell me that everything is okay at a time like this!"

Stampy flinched back, watching him with a sad face.

Phoebe simply scoffed again.

Jason looked back at her. "Is that it?"

"I wasn't expecting you to be here so," She shrugged.

Jason frowned and looked away, still trying to process everything.

"Well, I'm going back to what I was doing." Phoebe started to walk off once more. "Goodbye... Captain." She told them coldly before disappearing around the corner.

Jason felt a chill run down his spine and shivered before collapsing to his knees.

Stampy stared after Phoebe looking confused before turning back to Jason, his eyes landing on the glass shards and frowning.

Jason swore under his breath and banged a fist in the ground, the shards slightly vibrating.

Stampy flinched. "Careful, Jase..."

"It doesn't matter... being dead would hurt less at this point..."

"Jase..." Stampy stopped just sighing and sitting next to him. "I'm sorry..."

Jason shook his head and looked away. "Don't be..."

Stampy stood after a moment. "Come on... Let's find the room..."

Jason nodded but stayed on the ground, unable to move.

He sighed and offered his hand. "Here."

Jason took it and slowly stood up disoriented.

He pulled his arm over his shoulder the best he could and helped him continue on.

They reached the room in only a few minutes, the halls of the palace seeming to have moved yet again.

Stampy led him inside and to the bed. "Here..."

Jason immediately fell onto the bed, hiding his face in the pillows.

Stampy's ears laid back and sat in a chair.

It wasn't long until Jason was sobbing again, his cries muffled by the bed.

Stampy felt terrible. He didn't know what to do...