I'm Trying, I'm Trying To Sleep

"Red hair in messy braids."

I bullshit all the endings uwu

Edge tossed and turned feverishly in his bed, unable to feel even the slightest tug of sleep. His father's words raced through his head, and he was lucky not to be beaten that night.

This was normal, so why couldn't he get it out of his head today?

It took him a while to finally fall into some form of restless sleep, in which he encountered hell.

He woke up in cold sweat, Lance's name on his lips. Sitting up, tears slipped down his cheeks. His hands shook and he had no other desire than to sprint towards Lance and smother him with affection and let him know how much he loves him.

He couldn't risk calling him, and he'd probably be asleep anyway, so no use waking him.

He snuck into his parents room, gently waking his mother. She drowsily stroked his cheek, asking what was wrong.

"Nightmare..." he whispered, squeezing her hand and starting to sob softly.

Janna slipped out of bed, taking her son back to his room. "I'll be right back," she promised, kissing his forehead. She returned with a glass of water which he drowned quickly, thanking her.

He set the glass down on his bedside table and hugged her. "Mama..."

Her arms were so warm, they were what true home felt like. Her soft, ginger hair was braided loosely and tickled his cheek. She smelled so fresh, and he began to calm down. She rubbed his back, letting him cry quietly but openly.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" she asked kindly, in a low voice as not to wake Fairy in the bed on the opposite side of the room.

Edge nodded. "It was... Lance..."

"Go on."

"...Father... killed him..."

Janna tensed slightly. She wasn't sure that her husband was capable of murder, but she knew from what Edge experienced from the man, his fears were valid.

"Mama... he made me watch! He tied me up and made me watch him hurt Lance... Over and over and over again... Mama he killed him so slowly..." Edge broke down into helpless tears again.

Janna held him closer. "That's awful... I promise I won't let him hurt Lance. If that man so much as looks at that sweet boy in a nasty way I'll stop him. You deserve such a good person in your life."

Edge only hugged her. "I love you, Mama..."

She smiled at her second son, stroking his soft ginger hair, the same as her own. "I love you too, Edge."