Chapter Thirty Eight

"Did you get it out of your system or what?" Vincent yells down to me as I approach the balcony in front of the house

I look up to him eyeing me as I walk, breathing heavily.

For the past twenty minutes I've been chasing James around.

The moment he told me he was really thinking about making a move on Rory, all I saw was red.

I screamed in his face and charged, Vincent began to die of laughter after yelling for James to run for his life.

That boy took off on his feet within milliseconds. I chased him across the giant cabin before we made it outside, where I ended up tackling him on the beach. He finally stopped fighting me and laid in the sand on his stomach as I straddled his back.

He pleaded and said sorry, but he made it clear that those were his true feelings and he wouldn't even bother if he felt like he was just going to drop her.

His words made me realize he was being completely serious, suddenly I started to feel happy for him rather than angry at the fact he was into my best friend.

I didn't want him to hurt her, I finally got her back and I would just die if anyone hurt her or treated her improperly. I knew James was a sweetheart deep down, but it wasn't a secret that the guy got around more than a common cold.

But if he was serious about actually being into her, than I couldn't help but feel happy over the fact that maybe he could change. People change for love all the time, matter of fact, usually love changes people themselves— into better versions of themselves.

I walk up the stairs to the balcony, panting with each step I take, when finally I made it to the balcony itself, I see Vincent sitting on one of the wicker benches with a cushion on it.

"At least I can say I got a workout in today." I shrug tiredly as I take a seat on the bench next to him.

"I think James could say the same." He motions his head towards the beach. I look down through the glass fencing around the deck and see James sprawled out on his back on the beach.