xxii. night terrors

SABRINA SHOT UP, letting a loud gasp fall from her lips

       SABRINA SHOT UP, letting a loud gasp fall from her lips. She placed her hand over her quickly beating heart as she looked around her room. The nightmares she had been having lately always felt so real they scared her awake. "You okay?" A familiar voice questions. "Sabrina?" Derek sits up, placing his hand on his girlfriends shoulder.

"Yeah... I was just dreaming. It was weird-- it was like a dream within a dream." Sabrina explains.

"A nightmare?" Derek asks.

"Yeah." Sabrina mumbles, placing her hand over Derek's. A thought suddenly struck her, Derek wasn't sleeping over. He had told her just a couple of hours ago that he couldn't come over tonight. "Wait a second... Derek what are you doing here?" Before Derek could answer Sabrina's bedroom door creaked open, causing her to turn. "Hang on." Sabrina mumbles, getting up to close her bedroom door.

"Sabrina, where are you going?" Derek questions, trying to keep Sabrina in bed.

"I'm just gonna close the door." Sabrina exclaims, not being able to take her eyes off the door.

"Just go back to sleep." Derek states laying back down.

"No, no, I should close it." Sabrina comments, getting out of bed.

"Don't worry about it." Derek tells her, sitting back up. She wanted to listen to Derek and go back to sleep, but something inside of her was screaming at her to close the door.

"What if someone comes in?" Sabrina asks as she makes her over to the door.

"Like who?" Derek questions. "Just go back to sleep, Sabrina."

"No... But what if they get in?" Sabrina whispers, a feeling of dread washing over her body as she got closer to the door.

"What if who gets in?" Derek frowns. "Sabrina, just leave it. Sabrina... Sabrina, come back to bed." Sabrina continued to ignore his commands as she placed her hand on the doorknob. Without letting the fear she was feeling stop her, Sabrina opened the door. Derek's voice became a distant memory as Sabrina walked through the doorway, stumbling not into her usual hallway, but into the woods. Her eyebrows furrowed as she began walking closer to the nemeton. Before she could fully reach it the lights that usually lit up the lacrosse field turned on, completely surrounding her.

"This is just a dream... It's just a dream..." Sabrina began to mumble. That overwhelming feeling of dread was back, and it felt like it was going to swallow her whole. "Get it out of your head, Sabrina. You're dreaming, all right? So, wake up, Sabrina. Wake up, Sabrina. Wake up!"

Slowly Sabrina opened her eyes, the sunlight from outside poured into her bedroom as she looked around. "Sab, get up. It's almost time to go." Lydia exclaims, opening her sisters bedroom door. As Sabrina watched her sister walk away she let out a sigh, happy to be awake.

-

"And you couldn't wake up?" Scott questions as him, Sabrina, and Stiles walk towards school.

"Nope, and it was beyond terrifying. You ever hear of sleep paralysis?" Sabrina asks, hoping she wasn't the only one going insane here.

"Uh, no. Do I want to?" Scott questions.

"I have." Stiles exclaims.

"Have you ever had a dream where you feel like you're about to wake up, but you can't move or talk?" Sabrina asks, turning towards Scott.

"Yeah. Yeah, I've had that." Scott mumbles.

"It happens because, during REM sleep, your body is basically paralyzed. It's called muscle atonia- that way, if you start dreaming about running, you don't actually start running in your bed." Sabrina explains,

"That makes sense." Scott states.

"But sometimes, your mind can wake up before your body does. So, for this split second, you're actually aware that your body is paralyzed." Sabrina continues thinking back to her dream last night.

"And that's the terrifying part." Stiles adds.

"It turns your dream into a nightmare. You can feel like you're falling, like you're being strangled, or, in my case, like you're at the center of a grove of magical trees where human sacrifices took place." Sabrina sighs.

"You think it means something?" Scott questions as they walk into school.

"What if what we did that night... What if it's still affecting us?" Sabrina asks turning to look at both Scott and Stiles.

"Post-traumatic stress?" Scott suggests.

"Or something." Sabrina mumbles as they turn into their classroom. The three of them sit in their usual seats, forming a triangle so they are able to talk to one another easier. "But, you want to know what scares me the most?" Sabrina questions leaning forward. "I'm not even sure this is real."

Sabrina suddenly sat up in her bed, letting out a scream. "Sabrina! Sabrina, honey!" Natalie Martin yells as she runs into her daughters room. Grabbing ahold of Sabrina, Natalie shushed her, trying to calm her down. Sabrina continues to scream, this nightmare being one of the worse ones she's had.

"Sabrina!" Lydia calls as she runs into her sisters room. Lydia's eyes widening as she watches her mother rock her crying sister. "It's okay! It's okay!" Lydia mumbles, taking Sabrina from her mother. Lydia squeezed her close to her body, knowing that human contact can help in situations like this, and honestly Lydia was scared Sabrina may accidentally hurt herself. "You're okay!"

-

"Hey! Hey, you all right?" Stiles questions grabbing ahold of Scott. Sabrina watches in confusion as Scott takes a deep breath once he sees its Stiles. Scott nods quickly, checking behind him like he was being followed.

"You don't look all right, Scott." Sabrina speaks up.

"I'm okay." Scott mumbles.

"No, you're not. It's happening to you, too-- you're seeing things, aren't you?" Stiles questions causing Sabrina's eyes to widen as she quickly looks between her best friends. So she wasn't going completely insane. That was good to know.

"How did you know?" Scott questions, shocked that it wasn't just happening to him.

"Because it's happening to all four of you." A familiar voice states. The trio turns around to see Allison and Lydia walking their way. Sabrina quickly pinches her hand to make sure she isn't dreaming. She lets out a sigh when she opens her eyes and sees that they are still at school. Though the look Lydia gives her is making her feel anything but good.