xxiv. when is a door not a door

"IT SOUNDS LIKE your subconscious is trying to communicate with you

       "IT SOUNDS LIKE your subconscious is trying to communicate with you." Deaton comments.

"Well, how do I tell my subconscious to use a language that I actually know?" Sabrina mumbles as they walk through the animal clinic.

"Do you remember what the sign language looked like? The placement and movement of the hands?" Deaton questions as they stop in the back room.

"You know sign language?" Scott asks.

"I know a little. Let me give it a shot." Deaton exclaims.

"Okay, the first one was like this." Sabrina begins to explain, showing Deaton what she said saw.

"That's 'when'." Deaton tells her.

"Then, there was this, twice..." Sabrina continues trying to remember what she had seen in her not dream.

"That's 'door'." Deaton mumbles.

"And this in between it." Sabrina finishes, doing the final movement.

"That's it?" Deaton questions. Sabrina nods. "'When is a door not a door?'"

"When is a door not a door?" Sabrina repeats, confusion lacing her voice. Why were they signing that to her.

"When it's ajar." Scott exclaims.

Stiles scoffs. "You're kidding me. A riddle? Sabrina's subconscious wants to tell her a riddle?"

"Not necessarily." Deaton begins. "When the four of you went under the water, when you crossed from consciousness to a kind of superconsciousness? You essentially opened a door in your minds."

"So, what does that mean? The door's still open?" Scott asks.

Deaton nods. "Ajar."

"A door into our minds?" Sabrina questions, feeling completely unsettled with this new revelation.

"I did tell you it was risky." Deaton states.

"What do we do about it?" Scott asks.

"Well, that's difficult to answer--" Deaton begins before he's cut off by Stiles.

"Oh, no! Wait a second, I know that look-- that's the 'we know exactly what's wrong with you, but we have no idea how to fix it' look!" Stiles says.

"One thing I do know is that having an opening like that into your mind? It's not good. You each need to close that door, and you need to do it as soon as possible." Deaton tells them.

-

"Here's where we found the den. It's right in the middle of the hiking trails." Stiles explains to them. Apparently Sheriff Stilinski had been digging through old files since finding out about the supernatural and he found one that he thought had something to do with a werewolf. Wanting to help his father, Stiles and Scott went out last night and looked for this missing girl.

"Well, that could narrow it down. Coyotes travel in fixed trails. But, I think you're right about her not going back to the den. Coyotes don't like wolves, and they're really smart-- if they don't want to be heard, they actually walk on their toes." Allison tells them.

"Coyotes tip-toe?" Stiles question.

Allison rolls her eyes at the comment. "They tip-toe. I gotta go, but send me the pinned location." As Allison left the bell rang, and the trio took their seats.

"All right, everyone, let's get started! We were just talking about internment camps and prisoners of war. There's a passage in our reading that I'd like to go over in more detail. Who would like to come up and read aloud for us? Miss Martin?" Mr. Yukimura asks, looking towards Sabrina. Any other time Sabrina wold be fine with reading aloud, but ever since she started getting her nightmares it had become harder for her to read. Any time she tried the letters in the words would scramble and she wouldn't be able to make them out.

"Oh, maybe someone else could?" Sabrina questions trying to get out of it.

"Everyone participates in my class, Miss Martin." Mr. Yukimura states.

"Okay." Sabrina mumbles as she gets up. Standing in front of the class Sabrina looks down. For a second she thought she could do it, the words didn't seem jumbled and she could read them. But then they started moving, flipping around, and Sabrina was no longer able to understand any of it. "Okay, okay... Come on, come on." Sabrina looked closer at the page as if that would help. It only caused her to get more worried that this was a dream. The fear hit her like a train and she began swaying on feet.

Scott and Stiles both looked up noticing Sabrina seemed like she was going to pass out any minute. "Sabrina? You okay?" Scott questions, getting up from his desk.

When Sabrina didn't respond Stiles jumped out of his seat as well. "We should take her to the nurse's office." Mr. Yukimura nods his head, watching the two boys drag Sabrina out of class. Scott and Stiles decided to take her to the boys locker room since they knew no one would be in there at this time of the day.

"Sabrina? Look at me. Is this a panic attack?" Scott asks as Sabrina stumbles into the locker room, trying to catch her breath.

"It's a dream, it's a dream, it's just a dream." Sabrina begins rambling.

"No, it's not-- this is real. You're here. You're here with us." Scott tells her as Sabrina grabs ahold of sink. When Sabrina doesn't respond Scott continues. "Okay, what do you do? I mean, like, how do you tell if you're awake or dreaming?"

"Your fingers-- you count your fingers. You have extra fingers in dreams." Sabrina breathes out.

"How many do I have?" Scott begins, holding up his hands. "Hey! Look at me. Come on, Sabrina. Look at my hands and count with me."

Sabrina did her best to turn towards him, her vision was now becoming blurry. "One. Two." Sabrina begins counting, stopping every couple of seconds to breath. She was hyperventilating so it was hard for her to talk.

"Keep going." Scott presses.

"Three... four...five...six... seven...eight...nine... ten...ten. Ten." Once Sabrina hit ten she took a deep breath of air realizing that she wasn't actually dreaming. Slowly she slid down the wall feeling like she was about to start crying. "What the hell is happening to me?"

"We'll figure it out. You're going to be okay." Scott tries to reassure her.

"Am I? Are you?" Sabrina questions. "Scott, you can't transform... Allison's being haunted by her dead aunt... Stiles is seeing things that aren't actually there...And I'm straight up losing my mind. We can't do this. We can't- We can't help anyone."

"We can try. We can always try." Scott sighs, taking a seat next to Sabrina. Stiles followed Scott, sitting beside Sabrina. Even now when she felt like she was truly going insane, Sabrina was happy she had friends she could count on.