xxxviii. stay awake

"STILL NOTHING?" ARGENT mumbles

       "STILL NOTHING?" ARGENT mumbles. "Derek."

"Hold on." Derek tells him, trying to listen in on the conversations in the police station. "You were right. They're moving all the evidence."

"Was there anything about the murder itself? Any other details?" Argent questions.

"Just about putting Katashi's things in a Federal Lockup." Derek states, starting at the wall of the holding cell he was in. "You know, if all of this is true, people are dead because of Sabrina."

"But is it really Sabrina?" Argent exclaims. Neither man could see one another, but they knew better. "We know who Sabrina is and remember, we've had this problem before."

"But we got lucky with Jackson." Derek mumbles. "What happens when you don't get lucky? I can't lose her."

"I guess it depends on how much or how little of Sabrina is left." Argent sighs. "You ever heard of the Berserkers?"

"Germanic warriors." Derek exclaims. "They wore the skins of bears to channel their ferocity."

"You know, a couple of years ago, a family came to us for help with their son. This group of teenagers, they were doing all sorts of rituals with animal skins. Somehow they tapped into it. But with Berserkers, the human side doesn't last long. They're not tempered by the moon." Argent explains.

"He killed people?" Derek questions.

"He tore them apart. Eventually, I had to tell the family their son was gone. It took three of us to take him down. Almost every bullet we had. And when it was over, I felt no remorse. None. I knew that kid was long gone." Argent states.

Derek is quiet for a moment before he speaks up. "Would you feel any remorse putting Sabrina down?"

"Sabrina? Yes." Argent declares. "But not a Nogitsune."

-

"I want to go back to the topic of guilt today." Morrell says as group therapy begins. "It might surprise you to hear me say that guilt is a good thing. It's a rather mature emotion. Malia, you said something about guilt the other day. You said it came with a visceral reaction."

"I said it made me feel sick to my stomach." Malia states as Sabrina narrows her eyes at the girl. The blonde wanted to know what the hell her problem was.

"Guilt often becomes physical. You feel it in your gut. It's not just psychological. How does guilt make you feel, Sabrina?" Sabrina blinks a couple times when she hears her name being called. Turning away from Malia she looks towards Morrell.

"I'm sorry, what?" Sabrina mumbles.

"Guilt. What does it make you feel?" Morrell repeats herself.

"Nervous." Sabrina sighs.

"Like a sense of urgency?" Sabrina nods. "You feel an urgent need to make up for something you've done. To apologize. These are healthy responses. Does anyone know what we call someone who doesn't experience guilt?" As Morrell speaks something in the corner of the room catches Sabrina's eye. The girl sucks in a deep breath when she sees the man from before, the same one who had been taunting her, asking her about riddles.

"Sociopath." A boy speaks up.

"That's right, Oliver." Morrell nods. The older woman glances over to Sabrina who is holding her head down, trying to stay calm. "I'm sorry, everyone, but we need to take a break." As the group disperses Morrell walks over to Sabrina. "Come with me, Sabrina. I'd like to talk to you for a minute."

"What is it?" Sabrina questions as they walk into an empty room.

"Raise your shirt up." Morrell instructs.

Sabrina's eyes widen at the command. "Is there like a reason? Or-"

Morrell rolls her eyes. "Just do it." Sabrina turns around, lifting her shirt up. Lightly, she feels Morrell's hand run down her back.

"What is it?" Sabrina questions, getting a glimpse of the irritated, red lines running down her back.

"It's called a Lichtenberg figure. They appear on lightning strike victims. The fact that they're appearing on you after a shot of Wolf Lichen is both significant and strange." Morrell examines.

"By significant and strange do you mean hopeful and optimistic?" Sabrina questions, releasing her shirt. She turns to face the older woman as Morrell shakes her head.

"When the marks fade, the Nogitsune's grip over you will return." Morrell tells her, handing the girl a bottle of pills.

"What are these? Sleeping pills?" Sabrina questions, taking ahold of the bottle.

"Amphetamines." Morrell tells her. "Sleeping is exactly what you don't want to do. You're vulnerable when you're asleep."

"So all I have to do is stay awake?" Sabrina questions.

"For now. If your friends haven't figured out something by the time those marks are gone, I'll come find you." Morrell states.

"To tell me what to do?" Sabrina's eyebrows raise.

"No, to give you an injection. Pancuronium Bromide. It causes respiratory paralysis." Morrell exclaims.

Sabrina's eyes widen as she shakes her head. "That sounds a lot like death."

"It's used for lethal injection, yes." Morrell nods.

"So when the Nogitsune takes over, you're going to kill me?" Sabrina confirms, making sure she was hearing the woman correctly.

"I'm going to do what I've always done. Maintain the balance." Morrell remarks.

Sabrina sighs as she makes her way to the door. "Okay then. I've missed our talks. Thanks for the illicit drugs."

"Sabrina." Morrell calls. "Stay awake."

Following Morrell's instructions Sabrina walks through the halls of Eichen house, searching for anything to do. She tilts her head to the side when she reaches a hall with a door at the very end of it, the basement she thinks. Walking up to the door she tries to open it, but it's locked.

"What are you doing?" The boy from group therapy, Oliver sneaks up on her.

Jumping slightly, Sabrina whips around. "I need to get through here. To the basement."

"Doctors don't even have a key to this door. Only Brunski." Oliver tells her.

"Is that the head orderly?" Sabrina questions.

"He's got keys to everything in here." Oliver exclaims.

"Does he keep them on him all the time?" Sabrina presses, waiting for the boy to answer her.

"If you want them, you'll probably have to figure out a way to trick him." Oliver states.

Sabrina rolls her eyes at the boys wording. "Well, part of me is getting very good at playing tricks."