xxxii. we are one

"IF HER CAR is gone, that's where we start

       "IF HER CAR is gone, that's where we start." Sheriff Stilinski begins before turning to his deputies. "Parrish, let's get an APB out on a navy blue Mazda. Cordova, I want a list of any kind of industrial basement or sub-level of any building that she could've gotten into while sleepwalking. It's the coldest night of the year so far. So If she's out their barefoot in just pajamas, she could already be hypothermic. Let's move fast. Let's think fast. The three of you, come with me." Stilinski exits the office with Scott, Stiles, and Isaac following him. "Okay. Is there anything you need to tell me that I can't tell anyone out there?"

"Lydia knew she was missing." Stiles tells him.

"Can she help find her." Stilinski questions.

"Well, she's working on it." Isaac exclaims.

"Anything else?" Stilinski remarks.

Scott sighs. "I called Derek and Allison for help. Now that Derek knows hopefully he can help."

"Can you find her by scent?" Stilinski asks, looking in between Isaac and Scott. Before either boy can answer Stilinski one of his deputies interrupts.

"We got it, sir. We found the car." The deputy tells him.

-

"It's dead. She must have left the lights on." Sheriff Stilinski exclaims as he checks Sabrina's car.

"Why would she come here?" Scott questions, glancing towards the hospital.

"Let's find out." Stilinski states.

-

"She's not here. Not anymore." Derek mumbles when he hears Isaac and Scott approach.

"You mean the whole building?" Stiles questions.

"Gone." Derek growls, worried for Sabrina.

"I'll go tell Stilinski." Isaac mutters. 

"I'll come with." Stiles begins.

"And see if you can find Allison. She's not answering her phone." Scott turns to face them.

With Isaac and Stiles gone Derek begins speaking again. "Notice how strong the scent is up here? Ever hear of chemo signals? Chemical signals that communicate emotion. And just our sweat can give off anger, fear or disgust. Take a deep breath and tell me what you feel."

Scott shuts his eyes, following Derek's instructions. "Stress."

"And anxiety." Derek adds.

"What was she doing up here?" Scott mumbles.

"I don't know. But there was definitely some kind of struggle." Derek exclaims.

"With who?" Scott questions.

"Herself." Derek states.

-

"No, come on." Sabrina cries as she tries to turn her phone on, but it was now completely dead. Slamming the phone on the ground the blonde turns to the animal trap, trying to wedge it open but it only caused it to move on her leg. Sabrina jumps when she sees a figure moving in the distance. "Who's there? Who are you?" Sabrina's eyebrows furrow when the man starts speaking Japanese, her and Lydia had learned a bit of the language but not enough that she could understand the man. "What? I don't- I don't understand."

"Not who are you, Sabrina. Who are we?" The man questions causing Sabrina's eyes to widen. Not only did the man know her name, but she had caught a glimpse of his face, if you can even call it that, he was wrapped in bandages. "It's getting colder, Sabrina. Did you notice that we've stopped shivering? Do you know why that's a bad sign?"

"It's the body trying to conserve energy. It was my fifth grade science report." Sabrina mumbles. "Hypothermia."

"Our speech is starting to thicken. Then comes fatigue. Confusion. We're going to die if we don't get out of here." The man states.

"Stop saying that. Stop saying we." Sabrina snaps.

"We're just trying to keep you from freezing to death. You better get up, Sabrina." The man continues.

"How? There's a freaking steel-jawed trap on my leg!" Sabrina yells, tearing shining in her eyes. The man walks closer to the girl, now standing in front of her. Sabrina begins to cry even more when she sees him, he looked like something from her nightmares.

"Is there?" The man whispers. "Notice something different? It was on your right leg before, wasn't it?"

"No-" Sabrina looks down at her legs, confused.

"Are you sure?" The man questions. 

Sabrina shakes her head, realizing the man was right. "What is this? What are you doing?"

"We're trying to save you, Sabrina. We're trying to save your life." The man states.

-

"It's here. It's right here." Lydia exclaims as they run to the basement of Eichen house. After staying in Sabrina's room Lydia had figured out that the girl was in Eichen house, or at least she thought she was. "Sabrina." Lydia yells as Sheriff Stilinski kicks open the basement door.

"Lydia?" Scott questions as they search the basement.

"I don't get it. This has to be it. Where's my sister?" Lydia shakes her head, tears in her eyes.

"Lydia." Stiles tries to comfort her, but Lydia continues to shake her head.

"I don't understand." Lydia whispers.

-

"So what are you saying?" Melissa questions, look towards her ex-husband as they drive away from the sheriff station.

"I'm saying the real question might be, how do we know she's not still asleep?" McCall questions.

"You mean she's been asleep the whole time?" Melissa remarks, making sure she understands what he's hinting towards.

"Well, people who sleepwalk can do crazy things. One guy goes down to the kitchen and cooks an entire meal. Another guy is found mowing his lawn naked." McCall begins to list.

"Why's any of that matter?" Melissa questions, shaking her head.

"Remember that townhouse apartment we lived in? There was that one night I came home drunk." McCall begins.

"Oh, one night?" Melissa quips.

"Let me finish. So I'm drunk, passed out on the bed. I get up to go to the bathroom. Then all of a sudden I hear you yelling 'What the hell are you doing?'" McCall continues.

"Because you were in the closet peeing into the laundry basket." Melissa laughs slightly.

"Yeah, I thought it was the bathroom." McCall tells her.

"Oh, no, you were drunk off your ass." Melissa shakes her head.

"Yeah, but I was convinced it was the bathroom." McCall states. "So how do we know Sabrina isn't just convinced she's in some kind of basement? And isn't actually there. I think when she called Scott, she was still asleep. And is still asleep right now."

"Then where is she?" Melissa glances towards McCall.

"I got an idea about that too." McCall states.