xxix. broken mask

"THERE WAS SOMETHING almost ritualistic about it

       "THERE WAS SOMETHING almost ritualistic about it. Like it was looking right into his soul." Argent explains as Allison cleans his wounds.

"That's the same thing it did to me." Sabrina speaks up, thinking about last night. She hadn't told anyone about the dream she had while she was knocked out, not even Derek. Mostly because she didn't know what it was, she didn't even know if it was a dream.

"That's what it did to everyone." Allison comments.

"Not everyone." Scott speaks up. "They only came after the werewolves. And Sabrina and Lydia."

"Anyone with a connection to the supernatural." Argent explains.

"Then who was the guy they went after in Japan?" Isaac questions.

"A kumicho. A yakuza boss. It was my first gun deal." Argent begins. "I was only 18 and it was supposed to be a simple exchange. Except Gerard left out the minor detail of the buyers being yakuza. He wanted to see if I could adapt in the moment. Testing my ability to improvise."

"Or your ability to survive." Allison adds.

"The moment the sun went down it was like they just materialized out of the shadows. They had swords, not curved like katanas but straight, black steel. Like ninjatos." Argent states.

"What did they want?" Sabrina questions, listening intently to Argent's story.

"To get to the kumicho. They cut down every living thing in their way." Argent tells them.

"Did they mark him like they did all of us?" Isaac mumbles, reaching for the number behind his ear.

Almost all of us, Sabrina thinks to herself. After the figures had disappeared the group learned that the wolves and Lydia all had small numbers behind their ears, but Sabrina did not.

"Not exactly." Argent answers Isaac.

"What was he?" Scott questions as Argent continues his tale.

"I don't know. But there might be someone who does. There were a few others who survived that night. One of them was a man named Katashi. They called him Silverfinger because of an unusual prosthetic. And it looked like he was getting ready to take them all on himself. I've known for a while Katashi was in the country. I spent yesterday tracking him down." Argent explains.

"Didn't look like he wanted to be found." Isaac comments, pointing to Argent's bruises.

"Not particularly, no." Argent exclaims.

"You think he knows what they are? Or what they want?" Scott questions, leaning forward on the desk.

"Maybe." Argent mutters.

"What if he doesn't want to talk? What if he doesn't even remember you?" Sabrina asks as Argent gets out of his seat.

"He''ll remember this." Argent states, opening up a wooden box to reveal a broken mask on the inside, like the ones the figures had been wearing last night. "I know I didn't kill it. I'm not sure you can. But I slowed it down long enough for us to get out of there."

"What was behind the mask?" Scott mumbles as he picks up a piece of the broken mask.

"Darkness." Argent tells them causing a chill to run up Sabrina's spine. "Absolute darkness."

-

"So then she starts talking about phosphors and the key having chemicals on it, right? And so that made me think of the chemistry closet and the fact that someone had to let Barrow in." Stiles rambles as the trio walks into the chemistry classroom. They follow Stiles to the chalk board as his eyes widen. "It's gone. Okay, it doesn't matter though. It doesn't matter. I've still got the key."

"The key you were talking about last night?" Sabrina questions as Stiles tries to get into the chemical room.

"What the hell?" Stiles whispers, flipping through his key chain. "I had it I had it here. I had it here this morning, I swear to God, I had it this morning."

"Stiles." Scott tries again as Stiles whispers to himself. "Are you talking about the key you were telling us about."

"Yeah, I showed it to you guys, right? Didn't I show it to you two?" Stiles begins to question scared he imagined the entire thing.

"No, Stiles you just told us about it." Sabrina tells him. "We never actually saw it."

"I was here a couple of hours ago." Stiles begins, walking towards the chalk board. "And the message left to Barrow spelling Kira's name was right there on the board in my handwriting and I had the key to the chemistry closet."

"So you unlocked the chemistry closet so Barrow could hide in it from the cops and then you wrote him a message to kill Kira?" Scott questions, making sure he was understanding everything Stiles was telling them.

"I know how it sounds." Stiles mumbles before turning to his friends. "But look at this. This is the news report that came out about Barrow when they caught him, okay? About the shrapnel bomb that he used. See this? See what he did? He put nuts, bolts and screws. And then he hid the bomb and the detonator in a box that he wrapped as a birthday present. What does that sound like to you?"

Sabrina's face scrunches in confusion as she remembers something Scott told her. "Didn't you do that to Coach on Mischief night?"

Stiles nods as he turns to Scott. "The joke we played on Coach. That was my idea. You remember? That was my idea. That's no coincidence. It can't be."

"I don't want to sound like I'm trying to tell you that you're wrong. But I don't think you're trying to kill people either." Scott shakes his head.

Stiles glances back to the chalk board as he begins whispering. "It was here. It was all here."

"Dude, are you feeling okay? You're looking really tired." Scott exclaims, concerned that Stiles was seeing things again.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just haven't been sleeping really." Stiles tells them.

"Ok, well if we are going to talk about crazy visions I have something to tell you guys." Sabrina begins as the boys turn towards her. "Last night after Lydia and I saw those things I woke up and I don't know how to explain it, I wasn't here."

Scott and Stiles both look confused at Sabrina's statement. "What are you talking about Sabrina?" Stiles questions.

Sabrina sighs. "I don't know if it was a dream or if I was imaging it, but when I woke up I was surrounded by snow. I couldn't see anything, everything was white, just snow on the ground, snow falling from the sky. And in front of me there was this mirror, and so I walked towards it and I just looked in it for a moment."

"Is this going to go anywhere or..." Stiles trails off.

Sabrina glares at him. "Yes, you asshole. When I was looking in the mirror this voice called my name. I looked around for someone, but it was still just me. It started telling me that I needed to let the power take control of me, that I needed to let it swallow me whole."

"What is this 'power'." Scott questions, air quoting around the word power.

Sabrina shrugs. "I don't know, but something about it, the entire thing, the snow, the mirror, the voice. It made me feel awful inside. Like something was going to swallow me whole at any minute, I had to use all the power in me to stop it from happening."

"Are you still have nightmares?" Scott asks, concern written on his face. Sabrina nods slightly, they had only been getting worse.

"You were probably just imaging it." Stiles tells her. "You subconscious could have been just doing it. I mean the snow could be from the cold outside, the mirror could be because you were with Lydia, and the voice... I don't know about that one."

"I don't know." Sabrina mumbles. "I just know that I never want to feel that way again."

Scott sighs, worrying for both of his friends. "Why don't you both go home? Take a sick day or something."