You are doing what now?

My name is Amelia Smith and my life was meant to be normal but it wasn't. Things don't work out the way you want them to be but what can you do. So now I help at Spare Time bowl with Regina. The Jackson are my second family but I would never tell them that. Today was no different or so I had hoped for.

I was washing the tables when Regina came to see how I was going.
"Looking good Mia."
"Yeah well Wade was here so gotta make it look cleaner then usual."
She gave a chuckle and went back to spraying the shoes. She began to dance and accidentally spayed the popcorn that was there, but before she could get rid of it Wade grabbed it and out some in his mouth.
"Taste tingly." He said before he continued to walk off.
'Well we won't be seeing him for awhile.'
"Is it rude to say I worry about his stomach?" I asked as I walked over to Regina.
"At least you care about something." She said before heading to do something else
We heard a bunch of footsteps and Teddy appeared in the stairwell looking annoyed.
"Mum. I'm trying to do work up there, so can you please tell these guys to keep it down?" He asked
"Well, this is a bowling alley...so no." She said.
He raised his eyebrows at her and she just walked to stand next to me on the other side of the counter.
"Honey, you've been up in your room all day. Why don't you take a break? Have fun. Go play in the arcade."
"I don't have time for fun. I have one week left to finish my break-dancing robot project. Now does that sound like fun?"
"Maybe if you had no emotions and didn't know what fun actually was." I said causing them to give a concerning look before Regina continued.
"Kinda. Oh, can it do the Millie rock?" She asked before she began to dance before she continued "or the Nae-Nae? Or the Cat Daddy."
"I say the technique is quite superb but it's just not there yet. So I give it a 7/10." I said showing my score.
"Mum." He cried making her wave him off. "Right now, my robot can't even do the robot."
"Wow that robot sucks." I said earning another concerning look from them.
"Which is why I have to finish it." He said giving me a look making me shrug. "Look mum, this is all a very important part of the Year of Teddy."
"Teddy every time you say that it makes you sound egotistical." I said as I placed a hand on his shoulder.
He swatted it away and began to go on about the year of Teddy once again.
"Everything in my life has been building up to this year, and all of my hard work is going to pay off when I get into MIT's summer robotics program."
"Honey. I am sure you...."
"But that can only happen if I win the State Junior Tech Fair. And that can only happen if I get the top grade in my robotic class. And that can only happen if my robot is shaking his tiny tin booty by next Tuesday! YEAR OF TEDDY!"
I covered my years and gave him a glare.
"Mind not shouting in my ear. Don't need to add my hearing to things that aren't in my life anymore."
"Like what Mia?" Regina asked
"My will to live." I said dryly making Reginas eyes go wide in shock.
"Mia you worry me."
"Regina I am just joking."
"Anyway. Teddy, I am glad that you are so focus on your future, and I know that you've had a lot of growing up to do since your dad passed-"
I gave a grieving look knowing what they were going through but quickly covered it up before they noticed. "- but you're only a kid once, and you should have friends."
"Well, I have...."
"Who aren't robots." She said cutting him off.
"Amelia is my friend."
"Oh I feel honoured that I'm the only human in your robot friends."
"You are also in question missy. You have no friends as well."
"That's because I don't really like interacting with people. You become friends with people, get attached to them and then when they go some way or another then you are left alone. Too much work for that so why bother."
"You are making me worried about you again."
"Hey if Teddy can be friends with robots I can have no friends."
"She has got you there mum."
"Well long story shot, you both spend all your time here...."
"I work here and Teddy lives here."
"Which is why I signed us up to host a foreign exchange student. YAY!" She cheered as she held her hand up for Teddy to high five her.
"But mum, this is the year of Teddy!"
"Yes, you've made that very clear." She stated.
"Teddy if you say it one more time, imma punch you. But also that means I have to interact with another person." I whined.
"You work at a bowling alley."
"Don't judge me wannabe robot."
"Come now it will be great." Regina said trying to get us to see the positive side of things.
"You know what? I can't even deal with this right now. I have really important work to do. Like teaching my robot how to Juju on that beat." He said before turning around and heading up the stairs.
"Welp I gotta clean another table." I said before I began to head off.
"Hold it."
I stopped and turned around to look at Regina.
"Yes the mother of Teddy the boy who loves robots and will probably make a robot girlfriend."
"Now I know you don't live her but you are here a lot cause you do work here. And I think having another kid around your age will help you both open up more."
"I know but like Teddy I don't really need to have friends. Too much pain when they leave." I told trying to leave the conversation but she pulled me back in.
"Sweetie. I know it's hard with your brother in uni now but this will be good for you."
'Yeah uni.'
"I will try and act like a kid if it lets you allow me to do my job that you pay me for."
"Thank you."
She walked off and I let out a sigh.
'It gets harder and harder to keep my brothers death a secret from them.'