T H R E E

"Evan, you really don't need to cook for all of us! That's so many people!" Corinna half whined from her spot on our brown leather L-shaped couch. I quickly learned from the living room furniture that Corinna was rich. I had no clue why she was living in such a shitty apartment, but assumed it was all Natalie could afford and they wanted to live together. Needless to say, the areas that didn't come prefurnished were kind of decked out. Even the bathrooms had cute little soap dishes.

"I like cooking!" I told her once again, flipping the chicken in the pan. If there was one thing that calmed me down, it was cooking. There was nothing quite as soul-soothing as smelling something delicious and knowing that your work will pay off. "They'll eat this pesto pasta, right? If not, I think we have the groceries for alfredo."

"They're frat boys, Ev. I think they'd eat anything you put in front of them," Natalie laughed at me.

Yes, you heard that right. Frat boys were coming over. As if my life couldn't be any more stressful, boys that were always labelled as douchebags were coming over when I barely even knew the people I was living with.

"You look worried."

"I'm not," I quietly sighed. "I just think boys who are frat boys now would've bullied me in middle school, so they kind of scare me. I'm fine, though, I swear. I'm not worried about them coming over."

"They're oddly the nicest boys you'll ever meet," Corinna reassured me. "Seriously, some of the Delts are douches, but that's why we invited over the ones we like. Well, actually, Todd's a douche, but he'll be nice to you."

"Todd and Corinna dated," Natalie explained. "It ended... badly. That's all I'm gonna say. We won't delve into the past. But yeah, the boys that are coming will be nice to you. I'll beat their asses if they aren't."

"Speak of the devil," Corinna looked up from her phone. "They're downstairs. I'll go get them."

I was very thankful that she said that. The food was just about done, and I didn't want to burn it trying to keep it warm or anything. My first impression would not be too good if I cooked them a shitty meal after swearing that I loved to cook.

I started putting the pasta with the sauce and the chicken on the plates just as the front door swung open. In walked two brunette boys. The first was very attractive, sharp features and a jawline that made him look like a model. He was pretty tall, compared to me at least, and very pretty. That's really the only word that came to my head: pretty.

The other one was a little shorter and smaller, and was definitely less model-hot and more puppy-dog-cute. They were both wearing frat t-shirts and joggers, something I couldn't understand. I had been sweating since I woke up this morning, and there they were in full pants.

"Oh my god, real food," the shorter one raised his eyebrows at the taller one, who seemed equally as excited. "Your new roommate is going to be my best friend."

"Yeah, so this is Evan," Natalie waved a hand in my direction. "Evan, this one is Todd, and the other one is David."

Ahh. So Corinna dated the model. It made sense; if I saw her gracing the cover on a magazine, I wouldn't blink twice.

"Where's Scott?" Natalie asked. It was then that I realized she told me three boys were coming over, and there were only two standing in our living room.

"He got a girlfriend! That's what happens when you stay for summer classes, apparently," Todd laughed at his own thoughts. "I guess he was lonely without me. Can we eat?"

"Oh, yeah," I responded. We didn't really have a dining table, just four barstools next to the counter and the couch. The group took their plates and brought them to the couch, each one of them saying thank you. I wasn't sure if I got an invite, so I took my time standing in the kitchen, putting some dishes in the sink.

"Evan! Your food's gonna get cold! And you cooked, so it's only fair that we do the dishes! Come sit," Corinna patted the empty spot next to her, and with a for sure invitation, I went to sit, bringing my pasta with me.

"Evan, this is the most magical thing I've ever put in my mouth," David told me in all seriousness. "I think you're my new buddy."

"Technically, Jeff called dibs," Natalie reminded the group, though I had no clue who Jeff was or why he was calling dibs on me.

"Who? What?" I frowned, finally taking a bite of my food. It actually was pretty good.

"He's our friend... sort of. He's one of the douchier ones," Corinna explained. "We showed him your Instagram. He thought you were hot."

"Is he cute?"

"He's hotter than me," Todd raised his eyebrows like it was truly shocking to him, which made me laugh and blush all at the same time.

I asked, "Why would he call dibs on me, then? He could go for either of you!"

"We don't want him!" Natalie laughed. "You don't either. I know I've only known you for a few hours, but it doesn't seem like a good match. Someone like Matt is more your speed. Or David!"

David and I made some extremely awkward eye contact, and I continued eating.

"Sorry. Probably shouldn't have said that."

"I'm not really trying to date anyone..." I awkwardly stated. "I feel like I'm going to flunk out of college, so I should probably focus on that."

"Don't be so worried," Todd instructed me. "Freshman year is chill. Everyone thinks it's such a huge change, but if anything, it's easier than high school. You'll have plenty of time to find a boyfriend. Or girlfriend. I don't judge."

"She should not get an actual serious boyfriend her freshman year," Corinna argued. "It's a waste of fucking time. Freshman year should be hoe city."

"Someone's bitter she wasted her freshman year going back and forth with Todd," David joked. Corinna rolled her eyes, and Todd and Natalie just chuckled.

"Yeah, actually, I am," Corinna snapped. "I didn't live up my freshman year because I spent every other weekend crying about what girl Todd would be kissing at the Delt party that weekend. That's bullshit. Evan should not feel like she needs to go through that."

"Maybe Evan has better taste than you," David countered, Corinna lifting her middle finger in response.

"Hey, I think she has pretty good taste," Todd looked himself up and down. "What do you think, Evan?"

"Stop flirting with her," Natalie slapped him on the arm. "She just said she didn't want to date."

"Who said I wanted to take her on a date?" Todd mumbled, causing all three of us girls to gasp.

"Todd! This is why we don't invite you over anymore," Corinna yelled, then turned to me. "I'm so sorry that he's a Neanderthal. I wish Scott would've came instead."

"On that note," I giggled, standing from my spot. "I'm actually gonna take a shower and go to bed. It's been a long day."

The group let me go after saying their goodbyes and goodnights, and I took a quick shower and climbed into my bed. With my mattress topper and my many cozy blankets, my bed was actually very comfortable, and I was almost asleep when the door slowly creaked open, light spilling in quickly. I opened my eyes, confused when they focused on David.

"Can you keep a secret?"

A secret. Not THE secret. Just so we're clear

Im really bored and daydreaming of the ways that im going to make the boy that ive been trying to make fall in love with me for 5 years fall in love with me <3 quarantine is very bad

Please vote and comment and distract
Me. Literally say anything about this chapter

Xoxox abby