F O R T Y - N I N E

E V A N G E L I N E

Simon's eyelids fluttered, and the whole room stilled. The three of us had been relatively silent for the past hour, minus my ten minute rant about how stupid my dad was and how I would shoot him if I could. It probably didn't help my case for not being psycho like my mom, but David just laughed and nodded as I spoke.

Simon stared between the three of us. It was clear he didn't know what to say. It wasn't a comfortable conversation.

"What's up, Simon?" David smiled, easing the tension in the room. Simon smiled back at him, so I considered that a good sign.

"Feel like shit. My throat hurts."

"Simon, no curse words," Lydia warned. "Your dad is just down the hall."

"I'm in sixth grade. Everyone says shit," he explained in a very matter of fact manner. "Actually, I'm about to be a seventh grader."

"Are we just not going to discuss this?" I finally asked because the pain of not knowing was eating me alive. "What the fuck did you do? You could've died. You could've never came back. Is that what you wanted?"

Apparently, I was the only one curious in the room, because the other two stared at me like I was insane. Simon sighed and dropped his head onto the pillow, "I don't want to talk about it."

"Simon, are you kidding? You can't just act like this didn't happen. That is so s—"

I was pretty sure David knew where I was going with that one, because he put his hand over my mouth before I could continue. I glared at him, but he just shook his head at me. He suggested, "Why don't you and Lyd go get your dad?"

"Good idea. You can apologize to him so he doesn't try to take Simon away from me," she sent me a sarcastic smile that showed she was very unhappy with me. With the pressure of their stares all on me, I got up and followed her out of the room.

D A V I D

"Can you keep a secret, Simon? A huge one. One that would be horrible if it got out," I asked as soon as the girls left. I knew it'd be a while. Lydia was for sure lecturing Evan right about now.

"Yes," he nodded.

"I mean, are you sure? I would be in serious trouble if anyone ever finds out you know this."

"I promise I won't tell anyone."

"Okay," I sighed dramatically, hoping it'd bring a smile to his face. It did. "Evan tried to do what you did. That's how we became friends. I caught her."

"She did?" he seemed totally confused. "But... she's always happy."

"That's what I thought, too," I nodded. "She did, though. I think that's why she's upset with you now. Because now she knows how you guys would've felt if she actually followed through with it. I think it's messing with her head a little bit."

"The kids at my school found out about our mom. They didn't know until now," he explained. "They've been really mean."

"Kids are evil," I nodded in response. "That doesn't surprise me. Kids say anything and don't feel bad about it. You shouldn't worry about what they say about you. You know who you are, not them."

It was quiet for a second like he was trying to process things, then he asked, "Are you and Evan gonna get back together now? She's kind of mean without you."

"I don't know," I shrugged. "I hope so."

"Me too."

Evangeline and Lydia came back with her dad and his wife in tow, a frown on her face. I smiled at her, and she just rolled her eyes to show me she was done with the situation.

She sat at the end of my knees so everyone else could have a chair. She was hesitant in her movements, so I grabbed her by her hips and pulled her farther up my legs to let her know it was okay. She sighed and leaned into my touch.

It was a little uncomfortable once her dad got in the room, mainly because he asked the same questions as Evan did, but Simon felt obligated to answer them. He told us he got called a murderer in school, and David said he would be talking to the principal first thing Monday morning to try to get the kids suspended, though Simon refused to name names.

My mom called me once it got later in the morning. Though I was twenty one, she still tracked my location every waking hour to make sure I was safe. I guess seeing me at the hospital with no explanation freaked her out because she called and texted three or four times within five minutes before I finally stepped out in the hallway to answer one.

"Yes, your highness?" I laughed as I brought the phone to my ear.

"You think this is funny? Why are you at the hospital? Are you okay? Why wouldn't you tell me?" she started her ranting quickly.

"I'm here with Evan."

"Evan?" I knew I would've heard a smile in her voice if we weren't at the hospital. "What's wrong with Evan?"

"Her little brother... he tried to overdose last night," I explained. "She doesn't have a car, so she asked me to drive her here."

"Oh, my lord," she gasped, and I could see it now: Nicolette, dressed to perfection though it was barely eight in the morning, hand over her heart and jaw dropped in shock. "Oh, my poor angel. I love her. Is everyone alright?"

"He's okay now, I think. They're probably gonna put him in therapy and keep him in the hospital for the next few days. Evan's... upset, but I think she'll be okay too. She's tough."

"She's tough... yes, she is," I could hear her nodding against the phone. "Is there anything I can do? Bring food or anything like that? Anything to help?"

"I don't know, Mom. I don't think a casserole is going to fix this," I told her.

"You're sweet for staying with her. She really loves you. She really, really does."

"How do you know?" I laughed, leaning back against the wall.

"I still talk to her! She's my favorite of all your girlfriends. She understands things. I call her from time to time. She loves you. You guys need to work it out."

"I know. I think we're going to, not that it's any of your business."

"I'm your mother. Everything's my business," she made a strong point. "Get back to her. Tell her I love her, and if she ever needs anything, she knows who to call. I'll know if you don't tell her, because I'm going to call her later."

"Okay, Mom. I'll be sure to tell her," I rolled my eyes. "I'll call you if there's any updates, and if not, I'll see you Tuesday for the baby."

"Don't remind me."

The line beeped. She hung up.

i am literally a whole nother level of dead rn but i wanted to feel productive and write (its summer for me now so i literally have NOTHING to do all day)

That being said if this chapter makes no sense i apologize

Xoxo abby