T H I R T Y - S E V E N

"Y'all have got to shut your fucking mouths if you want this to work," I told the two boys helping me decorate. It was six in the morning, way too early to be dealing with both Todd and David's antics. We were trying to make the place cute and girly and glittery because it was both Natalie and Corinna's birthday.

Yes, you heard that right. They were best friends because they had the same birthday. They sat next to each other in their first class of freshman year, and during the icebreaker portion of the class, they discovered they were birthday twins. They had been best friends ever since. If that's not fate, I don't know what is.

"Natalie felt me getting out of the bed. She knows we're up to something."

"Obviously they know we're up to something; it's their birthday," I took fistfuls of silver confetti out of the bag and started chunking them around the room.  It was definitely a college student's birthday party. The only expensive thing we had was the champagne. It wasn't even going to be expensive bottles, but David forced me to let him pay so that we didn't ruin their birthdays. I bought them some of those pink feather boas and glittery, plastic birthday girl crowns, and we had a few happy birthday banners strung around the room. Other than that, the main focus would be the french toast I was going to make and the overflowing mimosas.

It was only a Wednesday, and although we were just a few short weeks into classes and skipping them probably wasn't ideal, we all made a pact that their birthday would be a skip day. We were going to get hammered and have fun (except David, who took on the role of designated driver) and worry about all our classes tomorrow.

"I think we're done, babe," David wrapped his arms around me from behind, his head resting on my shoulder. "Besides the food. But we should probably wait a little, since it's early."

"I'm not doing all this couple shit with you two," Todd spoke up, and I rolled my eyes, flicking him off.  As if he wasn't all over Natalie at any chance he got. "I'm serious. Evan is too much like a sister for me to watch this."

"She's not your sister."

"She basically is. I'm about to puke."

"Is it worse than when you saw me naked?"

"He what?" David spun me around so fast I saw stars, and it was then that I realized I had been keeping that from David, just in case he got mad. I stared at him for a second, trying to find the words. "So you were worried about me cheating on you a couple weeks ago because you were cheating on me?"

I laughed when he made the joke, thankful that he wasn't going to seriously yell at me. I said, "I thought I was here alone, so I walked out of the bathroom naked. It was... bad."

"Bad," Todd repeated, and I immediately frowned.

"Okay, I hope it wasn't that bad for you," I stared at him in shock. "I'm not that ugly, Jesus. I'm literally offended."

"I couldn't look at her for, like, two days. It was bad."

"Don't insult my girlfriend," David warned, but the smile on his face was less than intimidating. "Let's watch something before we cook. And by we, I mean Ev."

We watched two episodes of New Girl (Todd's request), then I cooked french toast and little sausages while Todd and David "supervised", AKA sat there and pointed out everything I was doing wrong without actually trying to help. We woke the girls up separately with some terrible singing, and started drinking at seven in the morning.