N I N E T E E N

There were probably one hundred and fifty people standing in the living room, lining the stairs, and even trailing into the kitchen, but my eyes settled on the person at the front of the group, the sweetest smile on his face. I just knew he couldn't have forgotten about my birthday.

"David!" I squealed, running up and giving him the biggest hug in the world. He wrapped his arms around my waist, lifting me up off the ground.

He spoke into my ear, "Happy birthday, my Evangeline Grace."

I leaned my head back, still being held in the air, and yelled over the chatter of the crowd, "I thought you went home this weekend!"

"You didn't seriously think I'd miss out on throwing you the best birthday party of your life?" he looked at me like I was crazy, which only made me smile.

"You did all this?" I glanced around the room. Once everyone dispersed from where they yelled surprise, it looked about as crowded as a regular Delt party, but I knew David had to have been cleaning all day to get this place in good shape after the party last night. There were those colored party streamers hanging from the ceiling and the railing on the stairs. Balloons were scattered around the floor. There were a few different happy birthday banners hanging around the house. Confetti was everywhere, and I knew that'd be a disaster to clean up.

"Yeah. It's your birthday," he shrugged, finally setting me down on the floor. "I'll give you your present when we go to sleep. It's in my room."

I kissed him on the cheek, smiling as I said, "Thank you, David. You're the best friend I've ever had."

It took a second, but he eventually smiled back at me. He said, "I could say the same about you."

"Look what I have for us," I pulled the bag of weed out of my bra, waving it in front of his face. "It was a birthday present from Zane, Erin, and Carly."

"I know," he laughed. "I sold it to them. They got a fucking deal 'cause I knew it was for you."

Of course he did. My plug was their plug.

"Can you go get your bowl, please?" I pouted my bottom lip out, and he nodded, rustling my hair. I didn't care, but Corinna would, so I sorted it back out.

"Meet me by the bonfire," he told me. I followed his directions, being stopped every few feet by people I only knew in passing wishing me happy birthday. It was so weird. A lot of the girls that usually came to the parties didn't even like me because I was always keeping one of the boys busy, but here they were telling me how pretty I looked and wishing me happy birthday.

After many fake (and a few real) smiles, I finally made it out the back door. Todd, Scott, Kristen, and Natalie were in their usual spots around the fire. Corinna was nowhere to be found.

I took a seat in the remaining plastic chair, smiling at the group. Natalie spoke, "Didn't get a chance to talk to you while you were macking on David. Were you surprised?"

"Yeah, I was," I laughed, completely ignoring her statement about David and I. "I didn't expect this at all."

"You're friends with all the boys in the frat, you make them food, like, every night of the week, and you didn't think they'd throw you a party?" Kristen looked at me like I was stupid. I didn't take it personally. She wasn't very nice ever, so I just assumed that was her personality. Scott always gave me apologetic looks after she spoke, but it didn't really bother me.

"Well, the boys didn't throw her the party," Todd countered, a look on his face so smug I could slap him. "David did."

"David did what?" David asked as he came up from behind me, lifting me up off the chair, sitting down in it, then resting me back on his lap. He handed me the bowl. "Here."

"Threw me the party," I answered before anyone else could put their two cents in. "Thank you, by the way."

"You've said that a million times already."

"I know. I'm just really happy," I leaned back into him, smiling as he wrapped his arms around me. David and I smoked together, laughing the entire time. Everyone eventually abandoned the dwindling fire, and I could've gotten up to sit on one of the newly empty chairs, but I didn't. I stayed in David's lap for hours.

He eventually got up to go to the bathroom, and I told him not to come back to the fire. I needed to mingle with people, especially Zane and friends who were nowhere to be found, probably drunk on the sidewalk in the front lawn.

I stayed outside for a little after he left, staring at the fire alone. I was so happy. For one of the first times since I moved to college, I genuinely felt like this was where I belonged. Everyone cared about me. Everyone wanted me here.

I also noted that I had, not once that day, thought about my dad's stupid wedding. I had the best friends in the world. I was finally living the life I'd wanted to live for the past two years.

I stayed outside for longer than I thought. The fire died out, and I started shivering so I headed in. Right in the doorway, I was caught by Jeff, who was way too interested in hooking up with the birthday girl.

It took me twenty minutes, but I finally got away from Jeff, who was talking my ear off and smoking too much of my birthday weed. The house was still full, so I pushed through people looking for Corinna, Natalie, David or anyone I could stand with and not want to shoot myself.

"Evdawg!" Corinna spotted me first, her arms falling around my neck as she squealed. I had never seen her this drunk. I was worried she was gonna pass out and die. "Girl, where the hell have you been? I fucking missed you!"

"I was outside," I chuckled, grabbing her shoulders to help her stand upright. "Are you okay?"

"Totally chillin', bro," she smiled the easygoing smile that always made me believe her. "I was talking to Heath before I saw you. I'm horny."

"Oh, lord," I wiped the sweat off her forehead and straightened out her blonde hair. "Okay. Go get 'em, tiger. I'm gonna go find David."

"I think I saw him go upstairs. He might be asleep," she told me, wiggling her eyebrows as she added, "or he might be waiting on you to join him."

"He's so fucking lame," I pressed a kiss to her cheek and let her return to her man of the night. I was feeling pretty proud that I introduced the two; he was Zane's friend. Maybe I had brought something to the friend group after all. If Corinna got a boyfriend, she maybe wouldn't be so mad about Todd and Natalie, who were still fucking behind her back.

I made my way up the stairs and to David's bedroom, not even bothering to knock before I swung the door open.

I guess truthfully, I had probably liked David for a long time. I had just never fully come to terms with it until I caught him on his bed, making out with Madison Beer, quite possibly the most beautiful girl to ever walk in the doors of the Delt house. I felt my heart shattering in my chest, like all the dreams I had never fully realized had died instantly. He was still David Dobrik, and I was still Evan Shepherd.

He was always too good to be true.

And i hate to do this to evan on her biiiiiirthday...... happy birthday by the way

Vote if u want the next chapter hehehehe

Xoxo abby