F I F T Y - T H R E E

Me: good luck on all ur tests today!!!! ur gonna do awesome!!!!!! i love you!!!!!!!!!!!

David: its wayyyyyy too early for all those exclamation points

David: but thank u i love you too

David: good luck with nicolette today lmao and alyssa

Me: i probably wont see either of them that much i dont think im allowed in the room

Me: guess ill be bonding with grandma

David: jesus ur day is gonna suck lmaooo

David: ill see u later at the hospital okay?? u want ur usual mcdonalds order??

Me: yes love ya good luck honey bunny

David: ill see u later love u toooooooo

"Are you texting David?" Nicolette smirked from her spot in the driver's seat. She had just picked me up to take me to the hospital because she needed emotional support and Gabriel was too much sometimes. I could see both of those points, which is why I agreed to go to the birth in the first place.

"How could you tell?"

"You were smiling at your phone," she grinned at the road. She was a very proper driver, hands at ten and two and back up straight. It was kind of funny. She was also dressed as she usually was, a knee length dress, tights, and heels. A little weird for the hospital, if you asked me. It definitely didn't match my fit of cotton shorts and a plain crop top. "Evangeline, I'm so glad you could come with me. You might even be better than David. He likes to start problems on purpose sometimes."

"I did notice that. With you guys, I mean. He doesn't do that with me, but that's kind of a family thing," I told her. "I think he'd be sweet today, if he was here. I don't care what he has to say about Alyssa and her choices; I know he's really excited to be an uncle. Don't tell Alyssa, but he has this whole little gift that we spent forever buying because he didn't know which onesie he liked best, and he didn't know the gender so he needed a nice gender neutral one."

"He's excited?" that information seemed to please her. "He doesn't have to live with the baby, so he probably is. I mean, not that I'm not excited to be a forty six year old grandma, but... I'm excited. I'm excited, yeah."

"You don't have to be happy with her, you know," I tried to drop some wisdom in the conversation. Nicolette was always doing it for me, so it was my turn. "She still made a bad choice, and now you have to live with it. Not saying that you won't love the baby, because I know the second they're here you will already be obsessed, but you don't have to approve all the time. You can be mad at her and still be excited for everything to come."

"You know, Evan, I say this all the time, but I seriously think it'd be impossible not to like you," she said in a matter of fact tone. "You just sound so smart. I can't believe you're only 19. You sound like you've lived ten different lives."

"I feel like I've lived ten different lives," I joked with a laugh. "I'm just glad that it finally feels like my life is slowing down. This summer is going to be good."

"I think so, too. Hopefully you'll be over a lot," it sounded like a joke, but I knew she was serious. "And hopefully you're free the second week of July to come to California with us."

"Oh," I got a little shy, my cheeks turning red. "Well, David hasn't really invited me, so I don't know."

"I'm inviting you."