T W E N T Y - O N E

I woke up when Natalie got out of my bed to take a shower, but my heart was heavy in my chest, so I went back to sleep. That happened a few different times that morning. Every time I woke up, I was just reminded of what I saw. I always went back to sleep.

Corinna came and knocked on my door. She opened it, and in a calm, motherly voice, she said, "Hey, Ev? Just checking on you. It's almost one in the afternoon, so."

"I can't move," was my only answer.

"Okay, that's fine. Are you hungry?"

"I can't eat."

It may have been a bit dramatic, but it felt true. I couldn't even imagine having an appetite at that point. All I could think about was David's hands on Madison's chest, and that thought made me want to puke.

"Okay. Will you let me know if you need anything?"

"Yes."

She left, but I could still hear her talking to Natalie outside. She told her, "Call David."

"Are you sure?" I imagined Natalie's confused face. It was very similar to my confused face. "She's kind of sad."

"David will fix it," Corinna seemed confident in that statement. "I mean, he was upset last night. He obviously cares a little bit."

I tried to go back to sleep so I wouldn't have to deal with the mess.

"You know I'm only letting you in there because I think you're going to fix it, right? If you come out and she's crying, I'm going to end your fucking life. Do you hear me?"

Natalie's voice shook me awake. She was outside my door, and I could only guess who she was talking to.

"She'll be fine with me, Nat. Trust me."

And with that, my door creaked open. I pretended to be asleep because I didn't want to cry anymore, and if we talked I knew I would cry. I didn't want him to tell me we were just friends and I was a little delusional freshman who thought she'd tame the frat boy. My ego couldn't take that.

David kicked his shoes off and climbed up into the bed, settling behind me and wrapping an arm around my waist. We laid in silence for thirty or so seconds before he mumbled, "I know you're awake, Evangeline."

"How?" I groaned, knowing there was no use in faking. He'd probably throw me off the bed to prove a point if I didn't answer him.

"Are you forgetting you sleep in my bed, like, five times a week? I know how you breathe when you're asleep."

"That's fucking creepy," I told him, hoping if I was mean enough, he'd just leave me alone. It didn't turn out that way.

"Ev..." he breathed into my hair, his arm growing tighter on my waist. "Can we talk about last night, please?"

"What is there to talk about?" I refused to turn around. He didn't deserve the satisfaction of seeing me cry. "Madison's super pretty. You bagged a good one. I'm happy for you."

"I didn't bag Madison," I could practically hear the eye roll in David's voice. "I don't want to fuck Madison. I went to my room to wait for you to come sleep with me. Madison came into my room, like, a minute before you did, and she kissed me. I was going to stop her, and you walked in."

"You were going to stop her by grabbing her tits?" I scoffed. "Never seen that move before."

"Shut up. Jesus Christ, you make everything so difficult. You know good and well my hands were basically on her shoulders. I was nowhere near her tits."