F I F T Y

we haven't spoke since you went away
comfortable silence is so overrated
why won't you ever say what you want to say?
even my phone misses your call by the way

from the dining table - harry styles

"I'll call you tomorrow when we leave," Lydia hugged me for the last time that day in the hospital parking lot. David had stayed with me all day Saturday, but we both had finals early Monday morning, so we needed to get back to campus. "I love you, Evan. I don't know what I'd do if you weren't here."

"You'd be fucking screwed," I laughed. "I love you too. I'll see you as soon as I'm done with my fucking tests."

"Don't worry about Simon. You're going to rock those tests, baby," she patted my head like a toddler and sent me on my way. "Take care of my girl, Dobrik."

"Of course," he hugged her quickly. "Good luck."

"Thank you," we climbed into the car and she waved us off with a sad smile. It had been a rough day. I was starving and sad. And now we had to have the talk, which I was both excited for and dreading all at once.

"You want to get food? The only places open this late are McDonalds or Taco Bell or Cookout."

"Are you hungry?" I asked, not wanting to be a bother.

"All we ate was a bag of chips from the vending machine. I'm starving," he said, and I nodded.

"Okay. Wherever you want is fine with me. Thank you for driving me, and staying with me."

"Evan," he said, then got quiet again like he was trying to find the words. "If we're going to talk, then you need to be completely open and honest. I know you get scared. I know you do, but if we're actually going to try to do this, you need to be able to be open with me."

"If we're going to try to do what?" I asked, just to confirm my suspicions.

"Get back together," he answered, and my heart slowed in my chest. I felt at peace for once in the past couple of months. "Is that what you want?"

"Yes," I answered honestly. "I don't like being broken up."

"Me either," he chuckled. "I have missed you so much. We need to talk about it, though."

"I know."

It was quiet for a moment.

"This is exactly the problem," David huffed. "I can practically feel the wheels turning in your head, but you sit there and wait for me to say shit. I want you to say shit. I want you to tell me how you feel so I can figure out what to do with that information."

"Okay. I want to say something. I know that I can be a lot, and I'm sorry. I'm really working on it, because I know that you genuinely love me and care about me and want what's best for me. I know you do, and sometimes I forget, but I'm really trying not to do that," it didn't feel strange to be vulnerable with David. I always felt like I was pretty open with him, up until the end. "And also I love you. A lot. And these past months have been the worst ever, and I don't want to do that again."

"You're not a lot, Ev," he sighed, then corrected himself. "Well, actually you are a lot. But I like a lot. I can handle a lot. You think that I don't understand you, but I do. I always know what you're doing. I'm gonna try to be more forward with you, though, because I think that will make it easier for us. You want reassurance? I can give you a whole lot of reassurance."

"I am friends with Jeff now," I told him. It felt necessary, getting one of the biggest issues in our relationship out of the way. "Good friends. So I'm going to hang out with him still. And I understand that you and Madison have to hang out for the Greek stuff."

"We'll discuss that later."

He wasn't happy with that.

"David, come on. If I had any interest in Jeff, I would've made him my rebound first thing. I just don't. I only have interest in you. But I like him as a friend and he's a good running buddy, so I'm going to keep being around him, just like you're going to keep being around Madison... who you slept with," I added that last past in as a slight dig. He laughed and rolled his eyes.

"Okay, you can hang out with Jeff as many times as your heart desires," he told me, and I nodded happily. "But if I see anything bad, I will fuck him up."

"He's sweet. I really don't understand where all the Jeff hatred came from. I mean, not just you, but Corinna and Natalie told me he was a douche when I first moved in. Jeff is nice."

"Stop complimenting him."

"He's not even here, and that wasn't a compliment. I want nuggets, okay? With ranch and honey mustard," I said as we pulled up to the empty McDonald's drive thru.

"I know what you want."

"I'll change it up one of these days. You won't even know what hit you."

"I'm waiting for it, babe."

We ate our food in the parking lot (because David hated cold fries) and then he drove us to the frat house. He didn't even ask if I wanted to stay with him, but he didn't have to. He just knew.

Todd and Scott and a few of the other boys were all in the living room playing video games when we walked in. Todd's jaw dropped as we walked in together, hand in hand. He smiled, "Evangeline Shepherd, do my eyes deceive me or are you holding hands with your ex-boyfriend right now?"

"Remove the ex."

"Shut the fuck up," Scott rolled his eyes. "I've had to deal with his whiny ass since the beginning of March just for you to get back together?"

"Did you expect anything less?" David wrapped his free arm around the front of my shoulders and pulled me into his chest. "No way I'm letting this one get very far."

"Have you told your roommates?" Todd asked, and I shook my head.

"It just happened. I'll tell them tomorrow when they get home. We're gonna go to bed, okay?"

We said goodnight to everyone and escaped as quickly as possible. I had been up for almost twenty four hours, and I could definitely feel it.

I don't think I've ever fallen asleep faster.

The next morning, I got up pretty early because I had to study during the day so that I could make the boys their last supper that night. I patted David's sleepy little bedhead before I left, but didn't wake him.

I arrived back to an empty apartment and immediately set up my study stuff in my room, knowing it was going to be a long day.

David texted me about an hour after I left: no cold feet?

I texted back: nope wearing socks

He said: i'm serious

I said: i'm studying honey

no cold feet

He said: you'd tell me if you had them?

I said: yes but from now on i wear socks!!!! no cold feet!!!!!!!!!!! ever!!!!!

He said: i love you

I said: you better

just kidding i love you too

<3

Hey folks i had a dream that i was pregnant and the man im in love with asked me for nudes (he didnt know i was pregnant) and so i took pics trying to hide the fact i was pregnant and then he was like...... are u pregnant? and i was like ...... yeah and he blocked me

xoxoxo abby