S E V E N T E E N

"Hey, maybe you should slow down."

That was David's line of the afternoon apparently. Every time I added some more vodka to my cup, he would suggest I slow down. I appreciated his concern, but I also was traumatized as a teenager. It wasn't my first time drinking to forget. I knew my limits.

"Calm down," I frowned, adding an extra splash of alcohol into his cup as well. "You didn't make them strong enough."

"Because that's your fifth cup," he sighed. He was still on his second or third and was being one hell of a party pooper.

"You're not being any fun."

"Because you're stressing me the fuck out!" he almost snapped at me, and I frowned at the slight, but noticeable raise of voice. "You haven't even told me what happened, but you want me to feed you alcohol until you black out."

"Yeah, I'm going to find someone else to drink with," I grabbed the bottle of vodka and my cup as quickly as possible and shot out of the room like a rocket. I pretended I couldn't hear David calling after me as I teetered down the stairs and into the living room. The two who were guaranteed to put me on my worst behavior, Jeff and Ilya, were sitting on the couch playing a video game, but they glanced up at me and smiled when I entered.

"Ah, Little Miss Goody Two Shoes is finally having a little fun."

"You wanna insult me, or you wanna drink with me?" I held out the half empty bottle to the boys. Ilya took it, turning it back and drinking straight out of the bottle.

"What has gotten into you?" Jeff seemed shocked, but in a good way, the smile never leaving his face.

The day quickly got hazy. The next thing I remembered was waking up alone in my bed, David curled into a ball on the floor using a bath towel as a blanket. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why he was on the floor. I whispered, "psst. David. Wake up."

"What do you want?" he groaned, clearly not all too happy with me.

"Why are you on the floor?" I asked, ignoring the headache that was killing me the longer I hung over the edge of the bed to look at him.

"'Cause you fucking kicked me off," he told me. "You weren't very happy with me last night, apparently."

"I don't remember any of that. Can you explain? You can come get in the bed if you want."

I could tell he was mad at me, and I could only wonder why. Maybe getting black out drunk on a Thursday afternoon wasn't the best idea, especially with David who was always nice to me. He slowly got up off the floor and joined me in the bed, unable to hide his small smile when I turned over to face him. I said, "Gimme a recap."

"Are you sure you want to hear it?"

"Of course. I need to know how to act when I see whoever I interacted with yesterday."

The way David told it, he let me leave his room thinking I'd go find Todd, Scott, Matt or any of the decent boys who would cut me off eventually. He didn't follow after me because he thought it'd make me more upset, and he knew I was teetering on the edge of losing my shit.

He only came to get me thirty minutes later when Ilya posted a video to his snapchat story of "Delt's favorite stoner" making out with Jeff. Yeah, that happened, apparently. David came downstairs and picked me up off of Jeff. I yelled at him and told him he was ruining my life, and he yelled at Jeff and told him he was clearly taking advantage of a sloppily drunk girl.

David then threw me over his shoulder and decided it was time to take me home. I was punching him in the back the entire time, screaming that I didn't want to go home. I told people walking by that he was kidnapping me, and one girl even said she would call the cops for me, so David forced me to say he was my friend.

He got me all the way home while I was being an asshole, held my hair while I puked, then got Corinna to help me change out of my clothes and put me to bed. When he tried to get in with me, I apparently started kicking him, told him he was the worst friend ever, and asked him to call Jeff to come sleep with me. He didn't do that, and instead slept on the floor.

"David..." it was all I could say. I was trying to find words better than I'm sorry, because a basic apology wouldn't cut it for all I put him through the night before. "I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry that you had to deal with that. Thank you for not leaving me with Jeff, though. I'm glad you knew I'd regret that."

"I knew you'd regret everything," he pushed some of the hair that was covering my eye behind my ear. "That's why I stayed with you. You didn't mean any of it."

"I feel like shit," I whined. "For you and for me. I feel so bad."

"Don't feel bad, Ev," he reassured me. "You should probably call Lydia back, though. She's called you a few times since last night."

"My dad's getting married. On my birthday. I feel like he's taken everything from me, and now he puts his wedding on my birthday. He didn't even know it was on my birthday. That's how much he doesn't care about me."

"Oh, my god."

"That's what Lydia called and told me, so. I got really angry, but I shouldn't. I mean, I know he doesn't give a shit. I've known he didn't give a shit since he left, but... I don't know. I just expected he'd give me that much."

"Evangeline Shepherd," he grabbed my head and pulled me into his chest. He joked, "Every time I think your life couldn't get any shittier."

I giggled and nodded into his chest, "I know, right? Bullshit all the way around. Let's go back to sleep. I'll call Lyd later."

I was half asleep when I heard the door open, and Corinna's voice whisper-yelling, "Nat! Come look at this! They're like hugging in their sleep!"

The shuffle of footsteps sounded, and I heard the quietest squeal Natalie had ever let out. They were really trying not to wake us up. Natalie said, "Now, ain't that cute. I'm just waiting for it at this point. It's coming eventually."

Corinna sighed, a content but confused sigh, and asked, "Why do they even fight it?"

I couldn't answer her question, so I drifted off to sleep in David's arms.

Uh oh someone seems a little jealous of ev and jeff..... but evans only his friend....... hmmmm

Vote and comment

Xoxo abby