T W E N T Y

David broke apart from Madison, who was practically in his lap, when he heard the door open, and upon spotting me, his face fell. We both stood in shock for a moment, staring into each other's eyes. My brain finally kicked in, then I huffed out a stuttering apology, then quickly turned on my heel to leave the house.

"Who wouldn't lock the fucking door?" I mumbled to myself as I hurried down the steps, pushing past people in an attempt to get the fuck out of that house. I could hear David calling my name, his voice distinct over the bass of the Drake song playing, but I kept moving. "Why wouldn't he lock the fucking door? Fucking asshole. Lock your fucking door. Who doesn't lock the door?"

"Hey, woah," Todd grasped my arm as I flew past him, pulling me back. "Are you tweaking, Ev? You're talking to yourself. Was your shit laced?"

"Todd," I looked up at him with watery eyes, hoping he'd get the message to leave me the fuck alone. He was way too far gone. He didn't pick it up so quickly. "I'm fine. Let me go, please."

David was on my heel, I knew it, and the longer I stayed stuck with Todd, the closer he was to finding me. I tried to pull away from his grasp, but he just held me tighter.

"Are you crossed? Something doesn't look right."

"Todd—"

"Oh, shit," Todd leaned down so he could get a good look at my face. "Evan, you're crying! What happened? It's your birthday!"

"Please just—"

"Evan!"

And I was caught. David's hand was on my waist. It was all too much. He continued, "Can I talk to you? Alone?"

"David, I'm going home," I tried to pull away from both of the boys holding me, but they were much stronger than I ever realized. "Let me go home."

"Let's talk, please. Upstairs."

"I don't want to go upstairs with you!"

When I first snapped at David, I think Todd realized what was truly wrong. He didn't know what happened, but he knew something had finally happened between David and I. Even in his well-past inebriated state, he could see this was a serious matter. He let me go immediately and left us alone, probably to go tell all our friends that shit was going down.

"Ev, please."

"Please just let me go," I carelessly swiped my tears away with my thumb.

"Listen, Ev, that was all a mistake. Everything you saw was a mistake. She kissed me. I don't even like her, I swear. I would never do this to you on your birthday."

"David, I don't care," I shrugged, knowing I was lying. "I don't. You're not my boyfriend. I was stupid to even think that there was anything between us. You don't owe me anything. Actually, you owe me one thing. You need to let me leave because I feel so stupid crying over you in front of all these people. I don't want to look like that girl. It's my birthday. Let me go. Consider it a present."

"Let me drive you home. I'm pretty sober," he almost pleaded with me. "I don't want you to walk back alone at night."

"I'm not getting in a fucking car with you right now," I snapped. "I'm going home. Let me go home."

"Can I come talk to you tomorrow?" he asked, his eyes sad as his hand slowly slipped from my waist.

"I don't care. Do whatever you want," I shrugged. "That's kind of your specialty."

With that slap in the face, I twisted on my heel and pushed people out of the way until I reached the door. By the time the fresh air hit my face, I was sobbing, my chest rising and falling remarkably fast. It felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest with each step I took. The pain got stronger and stronger as what I saw really sunk in. He chose someone else. I was pretty sure I loved him, and he chose Madison.

It was sad that I couldn't even blame him. I was average at best, no curves, just a basic girl. I wouldn't turn heads as I walked down the street like I know Madison does. Except for tonight. Tonight, I was most definitely turning heads.

The walk back to the apartment was fifteen minutes of pure embarrassment, every drunk person passing me staring at me like I was insane. Surprisingly, I didn't even care at the time. I was hurt, and I deserved to be. Kind of. Maybe.

Did I? I was always the one turning David down. I was always the one who called him my friend and told him I wasn't interested. Was it even right for me to be upset with David?

Todd must've relayed the message to our friend group, because not ten minutes after I got into bed with a half gallon of birthday cake ice cream and my sad Taylor Swift playlist going, Natalie was walking into my room.

She was drunk, but not nearly as drunk as Corinna had been earlier. She could fake sober if she tried. I knew that because she was doing it while trying to talk to me.

"Hi, my sweet little Evangeline," she climbed up onto the end of my bed and wiggled her way in beside me. Her sparkly mesh top was scratching my poor skin, but I didn't say anything. "I heard what happened. I'm so sorry."

"It's fine," I shrugged, taking another bite of my ice cream. With my mouth full, I continued, "it's not like he was my boyfriend."

"He should've never treated you the way he's been treating you if he didn't want to be exclusive," Natalie backed me up. I wanted to start screaming that yes, I agreed, she was right, he can't treat me one way then do things to prove differently, I can't be in his bed one night and out of it the next, he can't throw me a damn surprise party if he doesn't want to be with me.

I didn't say any of those things, though. I sat quietly for a minute, and finally said, "He owes me nothing. He wasn't my boyfriend. I read into our friendship too much."

"You are in the right, Evdawg," she laid her head on my shoulder.

"I just want to be the person he loves," I sighed, tears pricking my eyes once again. "He picked someone prettier, though."

"Oh, no, we're not doing that," Natalie shook her head. "I don't know exactly what happened, but I do know that David is the one that sent me here to come check on you because he was worried about you. He at least cares."

I didn't mention that he sent her to make sure I didn't kill myself, not because he thought I needed cheering up. He probably thought me being alone and crying meant I was going to attempt suicide again. He just didn't want my death on his conscious.

"Yeah. Whatever. I don't even care. It's just a stupid crush. Now I know, you know?"

"Do you want me to sleep in here?"

"Can you change first? Your shirt is itchy. And can you throw this away? If I eat anymore, I'm going to puke."

I was asleep before she even came back.

Hi so just a little FYI for yall, i have a chapter that COULD go next already written, but im not entirely sure i want it to go next so i need to do some serious thinking. If the next chapter takes over a day to upload, just know i had to write something to go between this one and the one already written

If yall write, hopefully u understand knowing what direction u want the book to go in but not exactly knowing how to get it there!!! Thats all a part of the fun!!!

Lemme know what u think: does evan have a right to be upset when shes been friendzoning david all this time?? Do yall believe david when he says it was nothing???

Xoxo abby