T W E N T Y - N I N E

"Are you good?"

"Just nervous about tomorrow. I haven't seen her in person since she started showing," David explained, his leg bouncing over and over again. He hadn't said much about his pregnant little sister, I assumed because he was so upset that it was even happening. He went back home a few times between the day he told me and December, but she still looked like the normal Alyssa. She was now well into her fifth month pregnant and was definitely packing a little baby belly... at least from the pictures I've seen. "If that fucking dick is there, I'm gonna lose my mind."

"You have every right to," I nodded supportively, patting him on the back. "You'll be fine. Everything's gonna be fine. Everyone grows up eventually."

"She's sixteen."

"I know. I'm really trying to help."

"You're sweet," he grabbed my legs, which were draped over his lap, and yanked them until I was in his lap. Cupping my face with his hands, he smiled and proposed, "You should come with me."

I stared at him for a moment, trying to gauge if he was serious. He took that as a no, and dramatically sighed, "Well, damn, you don't have to."

I rolled my eyes, unable to stop my smile. "Shut up. I mean, if your parents are cool with it, then I can. I was supposed to have a girl's night with Corinna and Nat this weekend since winter break starts next week, but I'm sure they'll be fine."

"Oh, no, they won't miss you," he teased, leaning in to kiss me. "You gotta study a lot for finals this weekend?"

"Some," I shrugged. "My finals don't start until Wednesday, so I'll have Monday and Tuesday to do nothing. Or study. Whichever I decide."

"Study, babe," he laughed. "If you flunk out of college, we're gonna have to break up. I can't be seen with a dropout."

"The fact that you think I'd fail all my finals by not studying is sad. I'm smart! I don't need to study!"

"Study."

"I know..." I trailed off with a sigh, disconnecting his hand from my face so I could stand up. "What do you want for dinner? I guess I'll make something for Natalie, too, if she's done napping."

"Where's Rin?"

"Doing homework with Zane. Did I tell you they, like, just discovered they were in the same class because Corinna was searching the class list to find the name of a cute boy?"

"You did not tell me that. That doesn't surprise me at all."

"Dinner?" I raised my eyebrows as I stood in front of the empty cabinets, staring at a whole lot of nothing. "What do you want?"

"You to get back in my lap," he smirked smugly, and I stared at him until he added, "Whatever you make is fine with me."

"We don't have anything. We need to go grocery shopping, but I guess that'll be their job this weekend. Do you want to go pick something up?" I asked, pouting out my lip to let him know that I was asking him to leave and get food alone. It was rainy and I had makeup on and straightened hair and I didn't want to brave the elements again. "Please? You can call your mom while you're gone and make sure it's okay for me to come this weekend. I don't want to intrude."

"It'll be fine, babe, but yes, I'll call them," he stood, a loud huff leaving his lips so I knew he was tired and didn't want to go. "What do you want?"

I just smiled because I knew I had him wrapped around my finger.

The next day went by rather quickly, all of my classes just being a last day review before finals, and I found myself being yelled at like I was in the military to pack faster.

"Come on! You're better than this! We need to get out of here before rush hour!"

"Okay, Grandma, what's wrong with rush hour?" I frowned, shoving random articles of clothing into a duffle bag. I never understood the hatred of traffic, but I think I always liked it when I was younger and driving without a license because everyone was going slow. I was less likely to crash.

"I'd just like to get there before midnight," he sighed dramatically, as if I wasn't trying my hardest to pack quickly. I threw a black tennis shoe at him, cringing as I heard it knock over the things on my desk, which was about six feet away from him. I had terrible aim.

"Can you actually give me that shoe back?" I sheepishly smiled, squealing when he chucked it back at me. He had good aim. It hit me on the hands that were covering my face. "Dickhead. You know, you should've let me pack last night instead of begging me to sleep with you, if you were this worried about it."

"I did not beg."

the night before

"Why are you doing that?" David groaned, rolling over in bed so he could watch me neatly tuck a few pairs of jeans and leggings into my bag.

"So I can be ready tomorrow. Duh. I don't want your mom to hate me for making us late."

"She won't hate you. Come get in bed, please. I'm tired."

"Just let me pack," I laughed. "It'll take twenty minutes max."

"Evan!" he whined, hands going to cover his face like he was truly exhausted. "Please just come to bed. Please? Pleeeeeeease!"

"I wouldn't necessarily consider that begging."

The blush across his cheeks and nose said otherwise.

"Does my outfit look like a good meet the parents fit?" I stood as I finally zipped my bag closed and gestured to my pale pink sweater and my lightwash mom jeans. If I wasn't in sweatshirts and leggings, I was in something like this. I hoped they didn't hate my style. I also hoped Alyssa was a little weird, not a popular high schooler who was going to be mean to me.

"You look like an art major," was all he said with a small laugh, which definitely killed my confidence. I stared at him, displeased. He added, "What? You do. Still look pretty, though."

"You say that about everything, so it doesn't even count anymore. Are your parents going to hate me?"

"Why are you so worried right now?" he couldn't help but laugh at my despair. He cupped my face in his hands and smiled down at me. "Evan, if I love you, they'll love you. You were so calm last night."

"I was actually in deep emotional turmoil last night," I joked, but it was kind of true. I was awake most of the night worried what his family would think about me or say about me. "I was just keeping it to myself so you could sleep."

"Didn't we discuss last week that you shouldn't do that?"

"Didn't we discuss last week that I am crazy?"

"Yes."

"Bitch," I rolled my eyes, ripping out of his hands. "Let's go, Lightning McQueen. We're wasting time just standing here."

"I don't think that reference makes sense."

"I don't think that reference makes sense," I mocked in a high pitched, whiny child's voice, grinning even wider as David laughed. "Let's go, let's go! We've gotta beat rush hour!"

"I'm gonna beat you the fuck up if you keep bullying me," David grabbed the bag from my hands as we made our way to the door, waving goodbye to the girls who were watching a movie on the couch.

"You wish. I may be little, but I'm fast. Like Mantis from Kung Fu Panda."

"The fact that you know enough about Kung Fu Panda to reference that seriously disturbs me."

"The fact that you don't makes me want to break up with you."

"You would never."

"Don't test me."

I literally fucking love kung fu panda xxxxx

Anyways vote and comment cuz i should be studying for my test this afternoon but instead i wrote this

Xoxo abby