F I V E

"Evan!" Natalie cheered as I walked in the door after the longest day on my life. She was laying on the couch, eating Takis. "I've been so lonely here for the past hour. How was your very first day of college?"

"My brain is not fully functioning," I whined, setting my bag down at the bench by the door and moving to sit next to her. "I don't know if I can handle college. I got lost ten times."

"Yeah, Todd told me he saw you walking by the frat houses, and they aren't even considered on campus," Natalie laughed. "I wanted him to go help you, but he was busy."

"Busy watching me walk around like an idiot?" I raised my eyebrows. "That's cool. I found everything, anyways. I was only late to one class."

"Speaking of Todd," Natalie paused her episode of Friends, rolling over so she could look at me. She was wearing denim shorts and a t-shirt for a rock band I was sure she didn't listen to. "I just want to say that I am well aware that I'm a bad friend for getting with him. Todd has never treated me like he treated Corinna though, so I don't feel stupid. I'm gonna tell her eventually... I just want her to move on a little more first. I promise I'm not the worst person in the world."

"I get it," I shrugged in response, knowing life was extremely complicated. I stopped judging the second my life turned to shit. "You don't need to worry about me. I know how to keep my mouth shut."

"Was David cool with you? I didn't really want him to go in your room, but he kept saying it would be fine, so I let him."

"Oh, yeah, he was okay," I told her. "He didn't, like, try to rape or murder me, so... he was nice."

"I think you'll like them all," she said, laying back down the way she was before. "We're so glad you're chill. We were a little worried you were going to be uptight."

"What happened to your other roommate?" I asked, just curious to why I got the room. Corinna and Natalie seemed to be girls with plenty of friends.

"Well, our friend Liza was going to live with us," Natalie sighed. "But she ended up transferring to a school closer to home last minute. All the boys live at the house, and we really don't have a lot of girl friends. We just went with whoever could take the lease quickest. Do you want some wine or something to celebrate your first day?"

"Uh, no, I don't really drink," I explained, and Natalie turned her head, eyes wide in surprise.

"You don't drink?"

"No. I just smoke."

"Oh, you smoke," Natalie nodded to herself like that meant something. "I'll have David bring you some later."

"Oh, they're coming over?"

"Yeah, they're bringing pizza. Don't worry," she eased my head a bit. "They're probably gonna be over a lot. I hope that's okay."

"I don't care," I shrugged. "The more, the merrier."

Since it was only the first day of school, I had no homework. Natalie and I watched Netflix for a few hours, and when Corinna came home, she convinced me to teach her how to make cookies. We made chocolate chip, the simplest recipe I knew. They were just cool enough by the time Todd, David, and two new boys arrived at our front door.