S E V E N

"Don't be so tense, Ev," Corinna rubbed her hand up and down my shoulder a few times. Her hair was wavy, and she was wearing one of those black lingerie-esque body suits with fake leather shorts. I had to applaud her; I would not be able to handle the sweat that would happen in those. "We've got you."

"I'm fine," I shrugged, hoping that the strategy of faking it until I believed it would work.

Natalie led the way. I followed her red heels through the crowd of people at the door. We eventually broke through to a staircase, and I followed my roommates up. They pointed out a random white door and said, "That's David's room. If you feel under the bottom on the door, the spare key is taped there. Lock the door back and put the key back under if you go in."

"Okay," I nodded, noting to myself that it was the third door on the left once you reached the top of the stairs. "He won't be mad, right?"

"No, David's chill," Natalie shrugged. "Just leave room for him to get in the bed with you if you sleep in the bed. If there is one thing David values, it's sleep."

"Probably not the best idea to live in a frat house, then," I mumbled to myself, but continued down the hallway to Todd's room. They filled up cups with Tito's and stuffed the bottle back into the closet, presumably so no one would find it if they wandered in. I didn't understand why Todd wouldn't like his door like David. He had some valuable stuff that could be completely ruined by a random drunk man barging in.

"Follow us! We're going outside," Corinna led the way this time. I sighed in relief at the news; I didn't know how much longer I could stand in the stuffy, crowded house. It was grossing me out.

I almost lost the two girls a few times, but we eventually made it to a sliding door that led to the backyard. There was a fire pit at the back with a few plastic chairs around it. There sat Todd, David, and a man I didn't recognize.

"Oh, Lord," Corinna and Natalie shared a knowing look that I didn't understand. "Hey, Ev?"

"Yeah?"

"We're going to sit on their laps. You sit on David's, okay?"

"Um... okay."

I didn't understand any of it. I didn't get why I couldn't sit on the ground, or why they were clearly uncomfortable with the other guy there, but I followed them over to the boys anyways.

"You're here," Todd raised his eyebrows in fake shock. "Finally."

"Ever heard of being fashionable late?" Corinna immediately dropped onto the stranger's lap, presumably so he couldn't call me over. Natalie sat at the very end of Todd's bent legs, feeling uncomfortable with Corinna right there. I stood for a second, unsure of what to do. I tried to play it off like I was watching the fire, but I knew I looked awkward. "Jeff, this is our roommate Evan."

I recalled the first night at the apartment, one of the girls told me that there were some... douchier frat boys, and Jeff was one of them. He was also the one who called "dibs" on me, which just made me uncomfortable.

"Let Evan sit with me," he stared at Corinna, waiting for her to get up. I felt extremely uncomfortable.

"Evangeline," David reached over and grabbed my wrist, tugging me towards him. "Sit down."

"Evangeline?" Natalie raised her eyebrows. "What?"

"That's her name," David shrugged, his hand moving from my wrist to my hip and pulling me down on top of him. I tensed a bit, realizing David was about to give away Natalie and Todd's secret. How else would he know my middle name if he didn't spend three nights a week sitting on my floor while waiting for them to hook up? "I had lunch with Evan the other day."