T H I R T Y - S I X

"You're definitely living with us," was the first thing Corinna said after I told the group the story. Todd, Natalie, Corinna and I were reunited for the first time that Monday that classes started. We were getting lunch in the student center. I saw Todd the night before at the frat dinner, but I was busy and he was talking to Jeff, who I decided to stay away from. He was nothing but sweet, but I decided it was maybe a bad idea. "He can't just steal you from us because you're fucking."

"We aren't fucking, but yeah," I agreed. "I just think it's a little weird. I get that by the time our lease is up, we'll have been dating for nine months, but... I just don't know these days."

"You don't know if you're gonna be together?" Natalie raised her eyebrows, confused. "Or... what?"

I looked at the three people who were staring at me like I'd grown three heads. I finally sighed, "I don't know. He's my first boyfriend. All of this is new to me."

"I feel like you're gonna get married," Todd said. "I'm not one to throw that shit around, but... you just seem right. You've really been inseparable since you got to know each other."

I didn't mention that David became my friend because he was trying to sway me from killing myself. I also didn't mention that I didn't believe in marriage. I just awkwardly laughed and said, "I don't like the idea of being inseparable. I feel like I'm too independent for that."

"You may not like the idea, but you are."

"Wait... can we reverse back a little?" Corinna requested, her face painted with confusion. "Did you say earlier that you and David weren't fucking?"

"Yeah," I shrugged like it was no big deal, because it wasn't, but everyone at the table just looked even more shocked. "What? We've only been dating for two months. That's not bad."

"You sleep with him every night. You don't have sex?" Corinna appeared bewildered.

"No. We sleep," I laughed. "Maybe I'm just a little more wholesome than you guys."

"You definitely are, but David isn't. I can't believe he hasn't brung it up."

"To me?" I frowned, suddenly losing the appetite for my shitty sushi that I wasn't really enjoying anyway. "What would he possibly say to me?"

"I think he meant to us," Natalie tried to fix her boyfriend's mistake as if she could tell I was getting angry. "But he hasn't said anything to us, so Evan has nothing to worry about. Let's not stress her out for no reason. Let her make her decision on her own time."

I smiled at her, even more grateful when she changed the subject to what she should do next with her hair, but I couldn't focus for the rest of lunch. I wasn't a virgin. I had some... less than healthy coping mechanisms when Maddie and Mom first died. Not that my coping mechanisms were healthy now, but at least it wasn't like it used to be. I had been around town a few times in the past. I hated that about myself. I hated that I let shitty teenage boys define my worth for so long. That's the main reason I didn't want to rush into anything with David.

That, and I didn't think it was that weird to not have sex after only dating for two months. Yeah, we were in college, but still. I was sure some people went a little slower than that.

I spent all day half dazed, wondering if David was cheating on me and if the fact that I didn't want to have sex just yet was going to be too much for him.

He could tell something was up that night. I was working on homework on my floor, David sitting on my bed slinging his legs back and forth, when he finally asked, "Are you mad about last night?"

I looked up at him and sighed. I decided now was not the time to focus on homework that wasn't even due until the end of the week. I said, "No. Are you?"

"No. I can't make you do anything you don't want to do." He was very obviously still a little mad, that snarky little comment just cementing the idea. "What's wrong then? You've been quiet all day."

"You're probably cheating on me," I smiled at him, knowing it was fucking insane but still feeling the need to talk about it. "Kinda put a damper on my mood."

"I'm cheating on you?" David raised his eyebrows and held back a laugh. "Why the hell would I ever in a million years cheat on you?"

"Because I don't want to have sex," I blushed as I admitted it. David and I had never really had the sex talk. I just yanked his hand back up from below my waistband for the first few weeks of our relationship, and he eventually caught on. It was embarrassing to talk about.

"What brought this on?" he jumped off the bed to sit next to me, his hand finding mine.

"I don't know. I just barely brought up today that we don't do that, and Todd and Corinna acted like I was insane. They acted like you were depraved or something. So now I think you have to be cheating on me. Because you haven't said anything about being depraved."

"Babe," he laughed, leaning over to kiss my cheek. He kept close to me as he continued, "I love you. I don't say anything about being depraved because sex isn't my only relationship concern, unlike Natalie and Todd. I respect your decision. I wouldn't lose you over some pussy."

"Not even Madison's?"

He rolled his eyes, leaning away from me since I made him mad. "You know good and well I want nothing to do with Madison."

"But let's just say, hypothetically speaking, you were really horny one night, and she offered to have sex with you. Would you do it? And don't lie."

"I'm not doing this bullshit with you."

"So you would is what you're saying."

"Evan," he gave me a look that told me I should shut up. "I don't give two fucks about Madison Beer. I care about you, okay? I love you."

"Would you still love me if I made a witch mad and she cursed me to have a really big nose and bushy eyebrows and a big head and a weird body?"

"Can you still talk?"

"Yeah."

"Is it your same personality?"

"Yeah."

"Then yes."

"You are such a liar," I rolled my eyes with a laugh, standing from my spot. "The bullshit that comes out of your mouth is ridiculous. Are you telling me that if I got transported into Danny Devito's body, you'd date Danny Devito?"

"I'd date Danny Devito if you weren't in his body," David joked, eyes bright and amused.

"So you are cheating on me?"

"Yep, you caught me. I've been seeing Danny Devito behind your back. I hope that's okay."

"Only if we can do a threeway," I grinned, and David raised his eyebrows in excitement.

"Now we're talking."

I hope yall are all healthy and happy!!! And having a good weekend!!!! I love yall!!!

Xoxo abby