T H I R T Y - T H R E E

"Pssst. Hey. Wake up."

I was surprised when both David and Nicolette insisted I slept in David's room. I thought for sure with their high Christian values, I'd be stuffed into a guest bedroom with the door locked behind me. Then I considered Alyssa and her crazy ass pregnant self and realized that me and David possibly having sex in their house (which I would never, ever do) was the least of their worries.

"What time is it?" David grumbled, rolling over so I couldn't stare at him and make him get up. It was a smart move, but I was a little more persistent than that.

"Almost eight. I can't sleep. Let's go make breakfast for your family."

"Why do you want to make them breakfast? They can cook for themselves," he groaned, his hands going to cover his face as he stretched.

"Because they invited me into their home and fed me and it only seems fair that I cook them a meal. Especially after you've been telling them how good of a cook I am," I added that last part in solely to embarrass him. It was cute the way he looked at me when I teased him, annoyed but still blushing. "I mean, I would go on my own but I don't want to run into your little sister. But if you really don't want to come, then I can just do it all by myself..."

"You're really good at guilt tripping people, you know that?" he did not seem too happy, but he still threw the blankets off his legs and sat up. "Can we brush our teeth first so we can kiss while it's cooking?"

"I'm an attentive chef. I don't know if I need the distractions."

"Then you shouldn't have woke me up," he replied pointedly, grabbing the shirt he wore yesterday from the floor and slipping it on. I decided to stay in my pajamas (sweatpants and a big sweatshirt that I stole from David), but I did dig through my bag for the plastic bag with my toothbrush and deodorant in it. Once we got ourselves together, I followed David down the stairs so we could start cooking.

"What should we make, my love?" I smiled. I was being extra nice because he looked dead tired, sitting on a barstool with his head in his hands just to stay upright. "You don't even have to help. You just have to keep me company."

"Just make eggs and bacon and stuff you usually make at the house," David told me. "Melissa usually goes to the grocery store on Thursday afternoons, so we should be stocked."

"Who is Melissa?" I asked as I rummaged through the cabinets and fridge. I found bacon, eggs and english muffins and decided that would be a decent enough breakfast for everyone. I didn't know if I was cooking for Eli and Alyssa too, so I took out a few extra just in case.

"She was our nanny. Now she's just the housekeeper," he explained.

"Why do you drive that car if you're rich?" I asked the question that had been weighing on my mind since we first pulled into the driveway. It was like he was trying to trick people.

"I got a Mercedes for my sixteenth birthday, but that was the car I crashed into the tree when I was drunk," David laughed. I remembered he told me that story the first day we met, the first time he sat on the floor of my bedroom and waited for Todd to finish his business with Natalie. "They bought me a shittier car as a replacement. I could get a new one, but I've got drunk college kids in my car all the time, so it's honestly just easier to keep the older one. I like it."

"Me too. I feel like it fits your personality. I can't believe you hid from me you were rich."

"Me either, love," David chuckled. "I bought you a 500 dollar necklace for your birthday, and I give you free weed all the time. You'd think you'd pick up that something was off."

"You paid five hundred dollars for this necklace?" my eyes nearly bulged out of my head, and I immediately abandoned the eggs I was supposed to be scrambling. "Are you kidding?"

I knew Tiffany's jewelry was expensive, but Jesus Christ... that seemed unreal. I would've never accepted it if I knew it was that expensive. I estimated it to be worth one hundred dollars... maybe.

"Don't worry about it," he shrugged me off. "Let's make mimosas."

"You do it. Your bad spending habits almost made me burn the eggs," I instructed, smiling when he actually listened to me. We looked like a married couple. It was both heartwarming and painful.

"You guys made breakfast?" Gabriel came down the stairs, looking like a normal person, clothed in a white t-shirt and flannel pajama pants. He looked nothing like he did yesterday in his fancy suit. "That's nice. Did Evan convince you to, David?"

"She convinced me to sit here and watch her cook," he laughed. "I can't cook. We know this."

"He made the mimosas," I had to give credit where credit was due, even if mimosas were only two ingredients. "Breakfast is almost done, so David, you can go get your mom and Alyssa, if she's here."

I directed the statement at David because I didn't want to seem rude ordering Gabriel around, but I really didn't want to be left alone with him in the kitchen. Luckily, he saved us both by offering to do it himself.

Alyssa wasn't there for breakfast, thankfully, and it was actually nice to sit with them. They felt like a real family, something I hadn't felt in a long time. It was warm.

Gabriel offered to do the dishes, so David and I went upstairs to get ready for the day.

The rest of the weekend we spent at his parent's house was more of the same. I guessed Alyssa switched houses between their house and her boyfriend's house now that she was pregnant, because I didn't see her all weekend. We ate and watched movies and talked and laughed and I was pretty sure they didn't hate me.

David confirmed that suspicion in the car on the way home early Sunday morning, "This isn't good. They're gonna want me home, like, every weekend now."

"Why?"

"Because they're obsessed with you. I can tell."

"I wouldn't say obsessed," I blushed, fiddling with my necklace.

"I would," he countered with a laugh. "I guess it's a common theme amongst Dobriks."

I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

Just had to let yall know im back on my bullshit with the same exact boy thats hurt me 100 times........ some lock me in a fucking psych ward and throw the key away bc im literally insane

Hows yalls lives going

Xoxo abby