F I F T Y - T W O

"Speech! Speech! Speech! Speech!"

I couldn't avoid the sea of cheering men. I had already embarrassed myself with one speech at one of our many dinners together, so I figured another couldn't hurt.

"Okay, Jesus!" I chuckled as David helped me climb onto my little fold out chair. "You guys are so obsessed with me; it's creepy."

Ilya yelled out true, and even David laughed at that one.

"Okay, let me talk Ilya, before I beat you up," I threatened with a laugh. "I can't believe we've already reached the last supper of the year. I have been so blessed to be able to get to know all of you and hang out with all of you. You are seriously the best guys in the world, and that's saying a lot coming from a girl who hates men."

They all laughed like I knew they would. They were too easy to please. That's why I loved them.

"Thank you for making me your sweetheart and giving me the best freshman year ever. I will seriously remember you guys for the rest of my life," I smiled, knowing I was getting a little too cheesy and also a little emotional. "Hand me my cup, babe."

They all freaked out over the babe, hooting and hollering like I called him Daddy or something. I raised my red solo cup and yelled, "To the best frat in the entire fucking world!"

Standing and raising their cups, they all crashed their cups together. It was a sweet moment. It was an unforgettable moment. I finished with, "I love you all! You're going to crush your finals!"

David grabbed me by the hips and lifted me off the chair so I didn't fall. That was smart considering I had been sipping wine while cooking and was definitely a little tipsy. He said, "perfect."

"You think?" I smiled and he nodded.

"Straight out of a movie, babe."

"That's what I was going for," I admitted.

We ate and laughed and took a bunch of pictures for both the frat instagram and just our memories. It really struck me that night how lucky I had been.

David and I were laying in bed—pretty early since we both had exams the next day—when I told him.

"You know I almost didn't go to college?" I asked, and he shook his head against my chest, where he was laying. "Yeah. I thought that I should stay with Lydia and take care of Simon since we'd kind of been forced on her. I was going to go to cosmetology school at night."

"You would've been good at that. You seem like a hair dresser."

"Let me cut your hair, then," I slightly yanked on his long shaggy hair that I was just stroking before.

"Okay, not that good," he laughed.

"I almost didn't live with Corinna and Natalie either. I wanted to live in the dorms because I thought that's what all freshmen did. I was convinced that they were going to hate me because they were older than me, and I was going to be friendless," looking back, it was stupid. Girls were usually pretty nice. "Lydia was the one that convinced me that I should live with them. Probably because it was cheaper to live in the dorms, but she did some social media stalking and was, like, sure that they were going to be my best friends."

"They loved you from the moment they met you, Ev," David replied. "Seriously. It's so weird that they went all last year without you. I don't even remember them as a duo. They had Liza, but she was a buzzkill. No one will admit that, but she was."

Liza was the girl who bailed on living with them, I remembered. She was the whole reason they had a room open in their apartment.

"I'm just saying it's all so crazy, you know? I went to a random college because I committed last minute and picked random roommates because I had no one else and I literally found the best people in the world. Not just them, but you and Todd and all the boys. Like, I thought I was going to kill myself when I moved. I was convinced that I was just going to do it, and then I had the best year of my entire fucking life."

"Ev," he looked up at me, his chin digging very uncomfortably into my sternum. I didn't move him. "I don't know what I would've done without you. I don't know what I would've done if I didn't show up that day."

And then I was crying, because everything in my life was too much and I was so thankful that I had the stability of David back.

"Don't cry, babe," he wiped my tears. "I love you so much. You didn't do it, yeah? I wasn't there every second, but you still didn't do it. You're a lot stronger than you think you are. You always have been."

"I'm not—I'm happy crying," I patted his head. "I'm happy crying because I'm just now realizing that none of this was random. None of it. If I hadn't cooked for everyone the day we met, you would've never came over so I could make you dinner. I would've been dead, and I would've missed out on the best people and the most fun. This all just happened for a reason, you know? It's weird. Good weird."

"The universe works in mysterious ways," he nodded. "And I don't know about God and all of that stuff Gabriel's always ranting about, but I do know that something bigger than us made this possible. I just know that I'd be lost without you."

"Do you think Simon's gonna be okay?"

"Yes," he told me. "Because if he's anything like you, I know he can get through everything life throws at him. There is some resilience in the Shepherd genes that I don't think many other people got."

"I don't think that came from my mom or my dad, so," I joked and David smiled, laying back down on me.

"It's just in your heart. The universe put it there because it knew you would need it," he said. "My lion. I've missed you."

"Thank you for making this year the best of my life," I sighed. "You don't know how bad I needed someone like you."

"You made my year, too. Don't forget that."

I could never.

Stopppppp theyre so cute i could literally die. And i might cuz i got left on read again! Hehe! Hehe! He !

Heart been broke so many times iiiiiiiii

Xoxo abby