F O U R

"Can you keep a secret?"

"Um..." I had no clue how to answer that. All I knew is he was standing in my room, shutting my door, approaching my bed. Was he coming in here to rape and kill me? I thought he was supposed to be the nice one. "What are you doing in here?"

"Well, I can't tell you until you confirm you can keep a secret," David sat down on the white, stained tan, carpet, criss cross apple sauce with his hands folded in his lap like a little kid. He looked up at me with his eyebrows raised, waiting for my response.

I finally sighed, turning onto my side in the bed so I could look at him and nodded. I said, "Yes, I can keep a secret. Seems like you can't, considering you're in my room about to tell me someone else's business."

"How do you know it's not my business?" David scoffed, hand over heart. "I mean, it's not, but I'm still offended."

"Just tell me," I laid my head on my hand to keep me sitting up slightly. I didn't want to fall asleep with a random man I just met a couple hours ago in my room.

"Natalie and Todd started hooking up because they both stayed during the Maymester this summer," David explained. "She stayed at the house so she wouldn't have to pay for an extra month at the dorms. Corinna doesn't know yet."

"What does all that have to do with you sitting in my room right now?" I asked, not following. I also noted that that was sort of a shitty thing for Natalie to do to one of her friends, especially a friend living in a piece of shit apartment when she could afford way better just so they'd stay together.

"Corinna thinks we left. If she wakes up and I'm chilling in the living room, Todd and Natalie are screwed."

"So you're assisting in helping your friends get away with something evil, and now I've been dragged into this mess as an accomplice," I sighed, letting my head flop back onto my pillow. "Great. I met them today, and I'm already being a shitty friend."

"Life is complicated, Evan," he shrugged like he didn't really care that this would hurt Corinna's feelings. "She's not an angel, either. She'll be okay."

"I guess."

"I've never met a girl named Evan," he commented after a moment of silence.

"It's Evangeline, technically," I explained to him. "Evan is just a bit more... fitting."

"Evangeline," David hummed in response. "That's pretty. I like Evan, too. It's unique."

"Thank you," I half chuckled, my tiredness overcoming me. "How old are you?"

"Twenty one. I'm a junior. You're eighteen?"

"Yeah. I turn nineteen in November. Throw me a big party," I joked.

"That won't be a problem. We have parties pretty much every weekend. You should come. Do you drink?"

"Um," I tensed up for a second. Act cool, Evan. "Not really."

"Oh. You smoke?"

"Yeah, actually," I nodded, even though he probably couldn't see me from his spot on my floor.

"I don't drink much either. So what happened to you?"

"What do you mean?" I immediately felt self conscious. He knew. How did he know? We just met.

"I mean, usually people who don't drink are either squares or had a bad experience with alcohol. You smoke, so you're not a square," he explained like it all made perfect sense. "My bad experience was that I drove and crashed, so I don't really drink anymore."

"You crashed?" I tried my hardest to focus my attention on him, so he wouldn't ask me any more questions. "Did you hurt someone?"

"Myself," he sighed, shuffling so he could lay down on the floor. "And the tree I hit. I was only seventeen, and it's off my record now, but... yeah. Pretty scarring. Broke two ribs and got a super bad concussion."

"I just got really sick one time," I lied. "Thought I had alcohol poisoning. Smoking is a lot more chill."

"I'll smoke you out sometime," he told me, and I almost laughed. That was what my dealer back home always said to me, and it always lead to him trying something a little more than just smoking.

"That's an offer I'll take up any day of the week," I laughed. "I was a little worried coming to college that I wouldn't be able to find someone to buy from."

"Are you kidding? You just hit the motherload. Every other person you meet is a dealer," David sat up when we heard a door shut, then my bedroom door opened. Todd entered, his hair looking a little sweaty and his skin tinted pink.

He smiled, "Hey, guys. You have fun?"

"Yeah, Evan's chill. She can cook, too. Might be my new best friend," David stood to leave. "We'll see you sometime. Oh, you coming to our party next Friday?"

"Maybe," I shrugged. "It depends. I may make a whole big group of friends that want nothing to do with you."

"Yeah, good luck with that," Todd chuckled like my words were all a joke to him. "The people love us."

"Goodnight," I waved them off, sighing in relief when they shut my door and I was finally alone.

I would consider myself an ambivert, but too much extroversion made me want to crawl into my bed and sleep for forever. Meeting so many new people in a day was way too much extroversion.

I fell asleep almost immediately after they left. A full day of moving and talking and living was too hard for me.

The next few days were easy. All we did was hang out at the apartment, go shopping for our school supplies, watch movies, and chill. It was nice. It was easy. I liked it.

My first day of classes? Not so much.

I was the freshman that had the campus map pulled up on her phone, running into people and wondering why the map was slightly off and why I was getting lost. I was late to my first class and blushing the entire time I walked in, forced to sit on the very front row next to a man who kind of scared me.

Luckily, we started talking, and I realized he was very nice.

"This is going to be the most boring class of all time,"  he said. Our professor made us turn to the person next to us and answer the icebreaker questions on the board, but it was clear he wasn't interested. "I'm Zane, by the way."

"I'm Evan. Nice to meet you," I smiled. "I'm bad at math, so I really hope you're good."

"Oh, you're gonna cheat off me?" he raised his eyebrows, and I nodded. "Good luck, sister. I don't know shit."

"You know, Zane, I think we might make a pretty good team."

Im bored. Just cancelled my spring break. Could cry. Not going to

Xoxo abby

Vote and comment or die