T W E N T Y - T H R E E

"Hi," Natalie looked up from her laptop as I walked into the apartment alone. "I need your help. I want to tell Corinna."

"Tell Corinna what?" I asked, dropping my bookbag on the floor by the door to pick up later.

"Everything," Natalie closed her laptop. Oh. Everything. With all of my drama happening, I had almost forgotten that Corinna had no clue about Todd and Natalie's secret relationship. "Seeing you and David together made me realize that not being able to show affection to your boyfriend ninety percent of your time together is stupid."

"Um... okay. How do you want to do it?"

"Well, I was thinking I should just sit her down on the couch and say it. I kind of wanted you to help me make a cake or brownies or something, so if she's mad, it's like a peace offering," she explained, and I nodded. That somewhat made sense. "And I'd like you to sit in here with me, if that doesn't make you uncomfortable. For moral support."

"It definitely makes me uncomfortable," I told her. "But I'll do it. Do you think she'll be mad that I knew the whole time and didn't tell her? You know, it kinda feels like I chose a side."

"I genuinely have zero clue how she'll react. Don't worry about you, though. I'll tell her you only kept it a secret because I guilted you into it."

"Are you sure you want to?"

"I'm positive," she sighed. "This needs to be over."

And so we set to work. Natalie wanted to make something a little easier like brownies, but she mentioned that Corinna's favorite dessert was strawberry shortcake. It was also one of my favorites, and it wasn't too difficult, so I decided that'd be a better option.

Natalie somewhat helped, but she was mostly stress ranting about how Corinna was going to kill her. I didn't mind doing it all by myself anyways. That was what baking was for, to calm me down. I was a little nervous about how Corinna was going to react, but I kept that to myself. I didn't want to stress her out any more than she already was.

It felt like hours until Corinna came back. She went to the gym after her classes, so her hair was a little sweaty and her cheeks were flushed pink. She smiled as she walked in, saying, "Something smells good!"

"We made strawberry shortcake," I held up the pan with a smile on my face.

"Oh my god, that's literally my favorite!" her face brightened up immensely, and I immediately got nervous. What if we were about to break her heart?

"Um... before we eat, we need to have a roommate meeting," Natalie spoke up, her voice softer than usual and a little shaky. Corinna didn't seem confused or suspicious; she dropped herself on the couch, stating at Natalie. Natalie finally said, "Um... so there's no easy way to say this."

"Spit it out, bitch! I want my strawberry shortcake," Corinna laughed. My chest grew tense.

Natalie quickly, and I mean very quickly, spit out, "Me and Todd have been fucking since May."

Her eyebrows dropped, and her smile vanished. "Excuse me?"

"Um... yeah," she nodded, trying to decide if she should repeat herself. "I'm sorry. I'm really sorry."

"Are you fucking with me?" her face looked absolutely disgusted. "You've been fucking my ex-boyfriend for six months and you didn't think you should tell me? You thought that was okay?"

"Corinna, if I would've known that it was gonna be more than a one time thing, I would've told you the first time it happened. We just kept getting deeper, and... I don't know. I was scared. I'm so sorry."

"And you knew, I'm assuming, since you don't look confused?" she waved her hand towards me, and I very slowly nodded my head. "Wow. So I have three backstabbing best friends. Lovely."

"Rin, you know it wasn't like that, but I understand that you're mad. I'm really sorry."

Corinna looked between us in dead silence, then started laughing, "I'm just fucking with you guys. I've been knew."

"What?" mine and Natalie's jaws both dropped in complete shock. "You knew?"

"I'm sorry, but Todd sleeping with you just because David slept here made no fucking sense. You're also not as quiet as you think you are."

Natalie and I looked at each other, still not really knowing what to say. Corinna continued, "I mean, you are aware that my room is right across from Evan's, right? The first day David went in there and asked her if she could keep a secret, I heard him. I've just been waiting for you to nut up and tell me."

"Are you mad?" Natalie asked after another awkward, heavy moment.

"No?" she seemed genuinely confused. "You can have Todd. Good luck, that's all I've gotta say."

"Group hug!" I cheered, knowing Natalie was still a little shocked and uncomfortable.

It was soothing, in a way, not having to be so worried about their secret anymore. It felt like I could finally breathe in my own apartment.

It also brought up some anxiety for me. I was never one for relationships. Friendships with people for my high school were easily broken whenever I even halfway felt like they did me wrong. It was easier to stay back from the action so I wouldn't get hurt, so I did. By the time I graduated, I didn't have one solid friendship, but I was okay with that. I didn't have to deal with the pain of them leaving.

In the middle of a group hug with two of my favorite people in the world, I realized that I was fucking terrified to lose them. Not only that, but I was terrified to be in a relationship in general. Not because it was David, and I was worried David was going to leave me. I didn't have the best track record when it came to making people like me and, most importantly, making them stay.

How could I possibly give David everything, knowing he could be just like everyone else?

I didn't know the answer. Truth be told, that was something I'd have to figure out, and there's a strong possibility I never would.

The thing about David was that he was just so lovely that he made me want to try.

This is short okay i get it dont yell at me its been a longgggggg day and i needed to clear up natalie and todd before i forgot about it and it became a plot hole like half the little details in every single one of my books lmao

Xoxo abby