T W E N T Y - F O U R

"Okay, we're gonna need all hands on deck to make this work," David clapped his hands together as he stood in front of the group. Most of the fraternity, along with the honorary members (me and my roommates), were crowded into the living room of the house as David stood in front, presenting something to us. "As we know, winter formal is this Saturday."

The crowd cheered. I sat awkwardly, not even knowing what winter formal was.

"I'm sure we all also know that our composite photographer fucked us over and stole our money."

Cue the booing.

"I've hired a new one, the same one that did Phi Mu's composites, so we know they're trustworthy. We're taking the new ones before formal. You have to be at the house at noon dressed up and ready to take the pictures. We should be done before two, which gives you fellas plenty of time to freshen up your looks and pick up your dates," David joked, and we all laughed. "I need you two to take Evan to get a dress. Here."

He thrusted a credit card towards Corinna, and she didn't blink twice before accepting it. I scoffed, snatching it from her manicured hands and giving it right back. "I'm not taking your money, and I also don't know what I'm getting a dress for."

David glanced at the boys, then back at me. He instructed me to go upstairs so he could finish with the group then he'd come and explain to me. I didn't understand why I had to be split up from the group, but I felt uncomfortable fighting in front of fifty boys who would no doubt bring up whatever I said for the next four years, so I listened.

It took forever. I sat in David's room staring at the ceiling fan, focusing on one of the blades going around and around in circles. My phone had been broken since I went home last weekend and I knocked it into the sink. The screen was fucked, so the only thing I could really do is call. I was going to get a new one soon, but I didn't have a job. I got an allowance every month put in my bank account from Lydia, a quarter of the money she got from my dad each month to take care of us. It used to be half, but I told her a million times that I didn't need that much money. Simon deserved it more.

But that did mean I had to save three months worth of allowance to afford a decent phone. It also meant I stared at ceiling fans while I waited for my boyfriend to finish his fraternity meetings.

I ended up falling asleep on his floor before he came back. He shook me awake, his hand on my shoulder as he laughed at me, "I've never met someone who could fall asleep at any time and any place like you can."

"I'm special," I sat up with a shrug, carefully wiping under my eyes to remove any smeared eyeliner. "What's the news?"

"I just wanted you to go upstairs so you didn't make me look like a pussy in front of all the boys," he explained, and I nodded. That made sense. It was what I assumed anyways. "I want to pay for your dress because formal dresses are really expensive, and I'm forcing you to go. You don't need to waste your money."

"I mean, technically, you haven't even asked me to go," I raised my eyebrows at him in a suggestive manner. I knew I was being stubborn; he was my boyfriend, and that meant it was my job to go to whatever a formal was. "So what do I need the dress for?"

"I have to ask my girlfriend to go to a formal with me?" he raised his eyebrows back at me. I stayed silent until he huffed and asked, "Evangeline Grace, will you go to Delt's winter formal with me?"

"I guess," I casually shrugged, only smirking when he rolled his eyes at me, pulling me in for a hug and a kiss on the forehead. "But I'm still buying my dress."

"Evan, you don't even have a working phone. I'm not letting you waste your money on a dress."

"To be honest, I might go home and see if Lydia has one I can borrow. She was a big time sorority girl, you know?" I explained. "Saves us both the trouble."

"That makes a shit ton of sense. What sorority?"

"ADPi."

"I wanna go ADPi! Boom boom!" David mocked their little chant with a laugh, clapping his hands together to the beat. "Call her and ask. I'll drive you up there one night this week if she does."

"Okay," I agreed because I knew he wouldn't take no for an answer. "Is it okay if I go now? I've got a ton of homework, and my bag's at the apartment."

"Yeah, of course. I'll walk you if you want," he offered, and I shook my head.

"It's fine. I like solitude, you know? Except Corinna and Natalie might walk back with me."

"On Saturday, can you come here when we're taking the composites?" he asked as I made my way out his bedroom door. I turned around to stare at him, confused.

"I mean, yes, but why?"

"The boys like you, and they listen to you. If you're here, I feel like they're less likely to be dicks who don't want to get anything done," he explained, coming towards me to kiss me one last time before I left. "It'd mean a lot."

"Okay," I smiled softly, patting his cheek with my hand. "I'll be there. See you tomorrow?"

"Or tonight, if I miss you too much," he kissed me again. "Bye, lovely."

I giggled, sending him a wave as I made my way down the steps. After a quick glance into the living room, I decided Corinna and Natalie had already left.

My walk actually was one of solitude, which I was thankful for. Sometimes you just need some time alone in nature.

Calling Lydia was a nightmare, not because I hated Lydia, but because she loved all things dress up. I was barely started into my spiel about needing a dress for formal when she was squealing in my ear, so excited that I was going.

"Of course I have a dress for you! I have a million dresses for you! When's the formal?"

I explained all the details to her. She was way too overjoyed to speak to; every sentence ended with a squeal that nearly bursted my eardrums. I knew she was popular in high school and college and really into the whole dance and sorority thing, but I never thought it would make her this happy.

"Jeez, I feel like your sensai right now."

"Well, this isn't Kung Fu Panda, but sure," I laughed. "I'll be there one night this week to try stuff on, as long as you're not busy."

"Oh, I'll clear my schedule for you, baby doll."

And so, our plan was scheduled.

I took a melatonin then wrote this. No clue if its any good tbh but ive been doing things today like reading an ACTUAL paperback book and hanging with a friend and doing homework so i felt like i needed to write

Xoxo abby

ALSO Shoutout to karmen this ones for u adpi queen