T W E L V E

I woke up at six in the morning, laid silent and still for almost two hours, then decided to get up to cook breakfast. Whoever these boys' house mom was, she was pretty good. The fridge was fully stocked; I just didn't think they knew how to use the ingredients.

I started with pancakes, one of my favorite foods, then ended up making bacon and eggs to go along with it. The smell of actual food cooking brought several boys to the kitchen, including Jeff and Matt.

"I love waking up to see a pretty little thing in my kitchen," Jeff leaned against the counter with a flirty smile that made me uncomfortable.

"Behave yourself," Matt defended my honor by slapping him on the shoulder. This was why Matt was one of my favorites. He didn't come over too often, but his accent was cute and he was always nice to me. "Not that I don't appreciate you going out of your way to make us breakfast, but what are you even doing here? It's barely eight in the morning."

"I know. I—"

"She's fucking David," Ilya, who wandered into the kitchen at just the perfect moment to objectify me, said.

"I am not fucking David," I said so all the boys knew. Usually, I wasn't one to entertain gossip, but I was likely going to be in this house multiple times a week now. I didn't need them believing a lie. "David is my friend. We just like to cuddle."

"That's a boring ass friend with benefits," Jeff and Ilya laughed at Jeff's bad joke. I stared at them until they apologized.

Matt kept me entertained as I passed out plates of food. The boys were much more respectful when they got to taste that I was actually a good cook.

"Let her do whatever she wants with David," a boy named Alex shrugged. "If she's here every Sunday, we'll be the most blessed frat on campus."

"Anyone else can serve themselves," I told Matt as I fixed two plates for me and David. "I'll see you later!"

I opened Todd's door to let him know that there was food. Scott was the only one in there since Todd was in the shower, but he got up immediately to go get himself some.

David was sitting up when I came back in. I raised my eyebrows and said, "Wow. You didn't even come looking for me. I could've been dead."

"I smelled bacon," he shrugged, extending his arms to take one of the plates from me. "I knew you were just whipping me up a meal."

"Mmhmm," I frowned. "You think I'm your damn nanny or something."

"You chose to cook."

"Your brothers at least said thank you."

"Thank you, Evangeline," he patted me on the thigh. His voice was just sarcastic enough that I couldn't call him out. "You're my hero."

"That's what I needed to hear."

After breakfast, David helped me clean up the kitchen. He told me multiple times that I didn't need to do the dishes since I made breakfast, but I was pretty sure they would sit there for the next two weeks if I didn't.

He let me walk home, after much convincing. I needed the exercise, and the morning was the perfect time to take a late August walk. Any later and it was just too sweaty to survive.

Natalie and Corinna were back, sitting on the couch when I unlocked the door. They looked up at me, smug smiles on their faces like they had just caught me redhanded. Corinna asked, "Where you been all night, Evdawg?"