S I X

I was nervously twisting my hands together and picking off my nail polish in all of my classes on Friday. I had spent my "party years" of high school too depressed to move and completely and utterly friendless. I wasn't prepared for a real party, especially a frat party where I only knew a few people.

I took my time walking back to the apartment. Neither Corinna nor Natalie had classes on Fridays, which meant the second I got home, they'd want me to start getting ready. The walk was sweaty, but soothing. Lydia called me on my way.

"Hello?"

"Hi! How's it going? How are your roomies? Have you made any friends? How are your classes? I was gonna wait for you to call me, but you never did, so I just called you! Wait, are you busy right now?"

"Lydia," I stopped her from speaking as her rambling was seriously impacting my brain. "Calm the hell down."

"Sorry," she laughed from the other line. "I just have been dying here without you. Simon is great and all, but I can't really talk to an nine year old like I would talk to you."

"Aww, you miss me," I teased with a giggle. "I miss you too. And SimSim."

"He has a girlfriend now. Her name's Amanda."

"Ew. Who names their kid Amanda?"

"See, that's what I thought, but I thought I was just being judgmental. That's why I need you here. You validate all my judgments."

"You miss having an extra bitch in the house, huh?"

"Every single day," she whined. She was so dramatic. "You want to talk to Simon?"

"Yes, please."

There was a shuffling on the line, then I heard Simon's soft voice, "Is this Evan?"

"Hi, SimSim!" I almost squealed, not the least bit worried about the other people on the sidewalk staring at me like I was a freak. "I miss you, bud. How's school going?"

"I don't like my teacher. Her name is Miss Calahan, and she's old and fat and ugly and mean."

Leave it to kids to be way too honest.

"You shouldn't say that! I'm sure you'll grow to like her," I tried to hide my laugh so he didn't feel validated. "Is Lydia treating you good?"

"Yeah. She makes me mac and cheese for dinner. I love her," Simon told me. "When do you come home? I play Minecraft alone."

"Make Lydia play with you. I'll probably come home in, like, a month."

"A month?" he yelled into my ear. "That's, like, past Christmas! Are you skipping Christmas?"

"A month is not past Christmas," I explained, smiling when I finally saw our apartment building and I knew I wouldn't be out in the heat for much longer. "You need to learn your months again. I learned mine in, like, preschool."

"Aunt Lydia! I don't want to talk to Evan anymore! She called me stupid!"

There was more shuffling on the phone, then Lyd was back. She scolded me, "Don't call your brother stupid."

"I didn't, but he also doesn't know his months of the year," I raised my eyebrows to myself before I realized Lydia couldn't see me.

"What are you doing tonight? Got a date or anything?" I could practically hear her smirk, as if it was common for me to have dates.

"I think I'm being forced to go to a party with my roommates," I struggled to unlock the door with one hand. "But I already know the spiel."

"Hey! I'm supposed to be a cool aunt. Don't put words in my mouth," she was pouting, I could tell. "Just watch your drink and use a condom. We don't need another little Shepherd."

"Okay, I'm gonna go," I waved at Natalie and Corinna who were sitting on the barstools eating what looked to be Cinnamon Toast Crunch. "I love you. Tell Simon I love him, too."

"Will do! Love you too! Bye!"

"Was that your mom?" Corinna asked, mouth full of cereal.

I cringed visibly. I had done so well the entire week, never mentioning my mother. They hadn't asked anything about my family or my home life. As much as I liked my roommates, I didn't feel completely comfortable airing out my mess of a family with some girls who probably had perfect lives.

"Uh, no. It was Lydia. What are you guys eating?" I changed the subject as quickly as possible.

"Cereal. We don't have your cooking skills," Natalie laughed. "Pour yourself a bowl. You're going to need the energy for tonight."

"What's tonight?"

I was a shitty liar, so I avoided eye contact when I asked the question. Of course I knew the Delt party was that night, but the more I could avoid it, the higher the chance I wouldn't have to go.

"Yeah, right, Evdawg," Corinna chuckled. The nickname Evdawg originated from Todd, but it was quickly spreading around their friend group. I couldn't go a day without someone saying it to me. "You can't trick us. You're coming to the party tonight. I don't feel bad about peer pressuring you."

"I can tell," I giggled. "I don't have any clothes."

"You leave all of that stuff to us," Natalie wiggled her eyebrows at me. "We've got it covered."

Luckily for me, I got to take a shower and a nap before I was forced to start getting ready. I did my makeup myself, but Corinna went back over it and made everything heavier. I had never had so much bronzer, eyeshadow or mascara on, but it didn't necessarily look bad. I just wasn't used to seeing so much on my face. The only thing they kept like me was my winged eyeliner. I wouldn't let them mess that up.

I straightened my hair and tied it half up, half down. They wanted to do more, but I reasoned with them that the humid atmosphere of a crowded house meant I'd be sweaty and disgusting in five minutes anyways. There was no need to be fancy.

I let them do whatever with my outfit. No matter what I chose, I knew I probably wouldn't fit in with the rest of the girls there. As a newcomer, I wanted to blend in as much as possible. Contrary to Dr. Seuss's belief, I was not born to stand out.

They gave me a gold, shiny, cropped tube top and a pair of plain black shorts to wear. I was told to wear my dirty white Air Forces, and warned that they'd be a lot dirtier by the time we got home.

"By the way," Natalie started as they began to lay out the dos and don'ts of the night. "Do not walk home on your own. If we don't leave by the time you're done for the night, go to David's bedroom. He never has girls in there, so it should be fine. We'll show you where it is and where he keeps the key when we get there. I know you don't really drink, but if you do, take alcohol from Todd and Scott's bedroom, not the kitchen. We don't know what happens to the alcohol in the kitchen, but we at least know Todd and Scott's is safe."

"I wouldn't smoke anything from people you don't know either, but if it's, like, David or Matt or someone, you should be fine. You think you'll be okay?"

"Um..."

That was a big, fat no. We went anyways.

I hate quarantine ! At least im tan !!!! But the pollen is so bad so my allergies are awful <3

Please vote and comment. I would die for u all

Xoxo abby