F I F T Y - F I V E

six years later

"Here it comes! Here it comes!" I quietly whispered to David, patting his thigh because I just couldn't contain my excitement.

"Simon David Shepherd," the announcer's monotone voice echoed throughout the stadium, and our entire group stood and cheered like lunatics as Simon walked across the stage in his cap and gown. He shook his principal's hand, then the school superintendent's, then shot us a thumbs up as he walked off the stage. The names kept going, but I stopped listening after that. My brain was going in circles.

Simon had made it. He had a horrible childhood and a messy life, but he made it. I made it. We both were going places, happy and normal. Our lives finally felt somewhat normal. It was something to celebrate.

I graduated college a few years ago, and David and I packed up and moved to LA. It wasn't too far from where we started, and it was where I could start my career. Simon ended up moving with me and living with us once I got a stable job, which meant he could finally escape his past. He finished high school pretty popular, if you ask me. He had friends over at our house all the time, so I'd say he was doing good. Definitely better than me in high school.

A few people moved before us. Natalie and Todd moved to LA when she graduated the year before I did, and Corinna, feeling lost without her best friend, went too. The good thing about LA is that there were so many people there, you could find whatever job your major prepared you for. They were thriving, and when we finally moved and reunited, it was like one big happy family.

David proposed just a few months after we first moved. I wasn't expecting it at all. Yeah, we had been together for four years with pretty much no hiccups (at least, after our breakup), but I never expected to get married to him. I guess it was dumb, but I felt like I was always waiting for him to tell me that I was too complicated. It was fun while it lasted, but he was done.

That wasn't the case, obviously. I had just gotten off work and forced him to meet me at Chili's, a place I had become addicted to the more I went. It wasn't fancy, but after our dinner, we went on a walk down the street to some little dimly lit park on the side of the road. I told him multiple times that it was sketchy and definitely a drug deal spot, but he made us swing anyways.

He started getting sappy fast, telling me that he loved me and how happy he was that we were together. He told me he knew we were meant to be together and that he couldn't wait to spend the rest of his life with me (seriously, he dropped that fat ass hint and I didn't even realize). When he got off the swing and knelt down in front of me, it all hit me at once. A little black box and a shiny diamond ring sealed the deal.

"Evangeline Grace," he said as my heart dropped in my chest. His hands were shaky and his eyes were clouded with tears. "Will you marry me?"

In that moment, there was no hesitation. No moment of "what if he leaves you?" or "this will never work". No confusion or fear. Just yes. Only yes. Forever and ever, yes.

We got married at the courthouse, though Lydia and Nicolette wanted to have a huge wedding. We knew what was right for us. Little and simple and happy was what we wanted. No stress, no drama, just love.

Since then, it had been pretty calm for us. Taking care of Simon and going to work was enough to keep us busy almost all the time. We did a lot to make it work, but it always did. We worked together well in that sense. We always figured the shit life threw at us out.

I discovered I was pregnant just a few months ago. David and I were not trying for a baby; it wasn't even something we had really talked about, but the smile on his face when I told him through terrified tears that I was expecting was enough to soothe my soul. I knew we'd figure it out. I'd been a parent for most of my life; my own child couldn't be that much harder.

The worst thing about being pregnant was that every chair was uncomfortable. Sitting on bleachers in the hot summer sun seven months pregnant was not my idea of fun, but I'd do it without complaint for Simon. I'd do anything for Simon.

By the time the graduation was over, I was excited to be up. We all followed the leader out to the huge crowd, where we took way too long to track down Simon and hugged him until he was annoyed with all of us. By us, I mean everyone. Not just David, Lydia and I, but also Nicolette, Gabriel, Alyssa, Colette and all of our friends. The only love he accepted without complaint was Colette's hugs; she was tiny, and her cute little chubby face was too adorable to turn down.

"Do you need to sit down?" Jeff asked me the longer we stood in the sun. Oh, yeah. Jeff. I always knew Jeff was in my life for a reason, and when I introduced him and Lydia, it all clicked for me. So yeah, they were dating and had been for the past two years. I'm a matchmaker.

"I'm okay," I smiled at him even though my feet were absolutely killing me. I didn't want to put a damper on anybody's day or steal any attention from Simon.

"If you need to sit down, tell me," David mumbled in my ear. "I will literally get on my hands and knees and make you a bench."

"You're fucking stupid," I laughed, and he nodded. "I'm good, seriously. Ask again in ten minutes."

"Okay," he squeezed my hand. "I love you."

"I love you too," I giggled, kissing his cheek. "Should we go eat before all the good restaurants get crowded?"

Once we got in the car is when David got serious. He said, "you really need to tell me when you're hurting. Your feet are swelling over your shoes."

"David," I laughed to ease his overly worried mind. "I wouldn't lie to you. I'm fine. My feet hurt, but not any more than usual. I'm just hungry. Madelyn Hope is, too."

I patted my belly and he cracked a smile. He joked, "I don't think you can blame being a fat ass on our daughter."

"I can," I rolled my eyes. "She's a hungry gal. She really might be Maddie reincarnated."

"I love you," he grabbed my hand, his finger wiggling the diamond ring back and forth. "I love you a lot. I mean it. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"I know. You tell me, like, every day," I joked.

"Say it back."

"Say what back?"

"Evan. Tell me you love me. Do you love me?

I smiled at him, a wide uncontrollable smile, and said, "Do you even have to ask?"

Thank u all for reading!!! I loved this book, i hope u did too!!!! These people are my angels!!! Most of my books i wont ride or die for, but this is one that im definitely proud of!!!

Ps, i did start a new book called one of the boys!! So add it to ur libraries i will probably start actually writing it soon!! We know i cant stay away from wattpad for long because i have no friends, too much time on my hands, and a wilddddd imagination!!

I love u all xoxo abby