72

Ivy

Sneaking out of the willing sector had been easier than it was sneaking in. When I got into the RTR building, my gaze wandered about, while I battled for excuses to give, in case Ethan were to ask me why my nose was red and a little bruised.

I didn't feel intense pain though, the Hidre serum was working pretty fast, and my nose was supposed to look crooked, but it didn't, it was normal, but bruised.

I spotted them around a table, Ethan, Roman and Malcolm.

When they heard my footsteps approaching, they all looked up, a frown immediately pulling down Ethan's brows, while Roman just looked at me with a brow raised, almost like he was trying to figure out what I had been up to.

"Hey guys." I greeted as I reached the table.

"What happened to your nose?" Ethan asked, sounding confused.

Malcolm and Roman both looked at me, Waiting for an answer. "Oh well... You know, just the normal thing... I got punched in the face by a guard at the Willing sector, no biggy... What's up? What did you guys find?" I asked, using the most casual voice I could pull off.

The confused look Ethan had on his face deepened, making him look really cute. I had to fight the urge to squeeze his cheek.

Malcolm cleared his throat, bringing us back to the matter at hand.

I tore my gaze from Ethan's face.

"Ethan told me about the little occurrence at the Rebel-lions hub... We think it has something to do with the connection you both have."

"Connection?" I asked, my curiosity at its peak.

"Do you want to tell her? Or should I?" Malcolm asked, looking over at Ethan.

Ethan turned towards me. "Remember that time back at the outside when I told you I was going to run some check up on my chip, to figure out why it seems to be affecting you?"

I nodded slowly, remembering the day we kissed for the second time, like it was yesterday.

"Well, turns out, something was indeed wrong with me. I had and still have a malfunctioning chip, I thought the facility was behind the manipulation, but they were not, it's all me and it seems to be having a positive effect on you." He said.

"What?" I asked, my brain too slow to comprehend what he just said.

"Yeah," Roman cut in. "You fought off Robotic people for the first time when we broke into the Rebels sector... I knew something had to be up. This is it. You're syphoning basically every ability Ethan has. You've got strong genes."

I blinked. "I still don't get this." I let out, taking a seat on one of the chairs. "How am I getting affected by it? I don't understand--"

"Humans are born with different genes, some strong, some weak. In your case, it's different. You're a seven months old baby, and you spent most of your early months in the hospital--"

"How the hell do you know that?" I asked, cutting Malcolm off.

"I know almost everything about you Ivy. That's not the important thing right now. In most cases of a malfunctioning chip, it either has no effect, a positive or negative effect on humans. Seeing as something about your system corresponds with something in Ethan's system, hence the connection which seems to be giving you your own abilities, with just being human."

I blinked, my hand going to rub my temple, trying to relieve my growing headache. "So what you're trying to tell me is that, I've got superpowers?"