Sometimes You Know Exactly What To Say

(A/N) Hi everyone! I hope everyone is staying safe during these times. I am starting to write about Ricky and Nini from High School Musical; The Musical; The Series because I recently fell in LOVE with the show and the amazing fandom. Also all of the chapters are named after lyrics in some of the songs! This story takes place AFTER Season 1!

*Nini*

"So when is your first date with Ricky?" Kourtney asked me as we studied for our Chem test the next day.
"Really? We're still on the topic of him?" I asked, blushing slightly.
"Oh come on, Nini!" Kourtney exclaimed, putting down her pencil. "He's your boyfriend, isn't he?"
"It's...complicated," I explained not making eye contact with my best friend.
Kourtney did that sarcastic look that she always gave me.
"Okay, fine! Yes, sure, I'm a little disappointed he hasn't asked me out yet. It's been a week since the musical ended, Kourt. He just..needs to find the right time, that's all."
"So he is, or isn't your boyfriend?" She asked.
"Not yet," I smiled.

*Ricky*

"I need to ask her out," I told Big Red.
We were in his bedroom playing Fortnite when all of the sudden I just started to ramble about her.
"Listen, it's going to be okay. When you know you know," he replied, not looking at me.
"Are you even listening?" I asked.
Big Red didn't respond. I turned off the controller and took off my headset.
"What are you doing?" Big Red asked.
"I'm not really in the mood right now," I told him.
The truth was I couldn't stop thinking about Nini. It's been a week since our little 'I love you' make out session happened in the dressing room after the show. Don't get me wrong, it was really nice, but I haven't had the courage to ask her out yet, which is stupid.
"Are you okay?" Red asked.
"Yeah," I smiled.
I sat on his bed and put my elbows on my knees.
What do I do?
"Ricky. Give me your phone," Big Red told me as he took off his headset and paused the game.
"What? No."
"Just trust me," he said.
I reached into my pocket for my phone and handed it over to him. I couldn't exactly see what he was doing, given every time I would try to peek at my phone he would put it up to his chest.
"Just hold on!" He exclaimed.
I waited a few seconds longer.
"Red, what are-"
"-there you go!" He said and handed back my phone.
It was a text message to Nini. It wasn't sent yet, but it was typed out. It read:

Hey Nini :) I was thinking about you and me lately. Did you wanna go to the dance this Saturday? It's okay, if you don't, just let me know! :)

"Red, I can't send this!"
"And why not?" He asked.
"It-it's too much. The dance? We haven't even been on a date yet!"
"Consider it your first date. And plus, it's the Christmas dance. You typically only go with just one person. Like a date," Red winked.
I looked back at the text.
It's too soon.
I looked up at Big Red.
"This is your chance, man."
I looked down at the phone and hit send.
I let out a big breath.
"Yolo."

*Nini*

"Alright girlfriend, it's getting on 10:00," Kourtney said. "I better get go-"
"Shut up!" I yelled, looking at my phone.
Kourtney playfully got my arm.
"You shut up. That was right in my ear."
"Look at what Ricky just sent!" I exclaimed and showed her my phone.
Kourtney examined the text and looked at me.
"You miss, are one lucky girl."
"I-I can't believe it," I said. "I'm going to the Christmas dance with Ricky Bowen."
"Nini, Ricky Bowen is going to the dance with you.
We both squealed.
"Looks like someone is getting their Merry Christmas after all," Kourtney smiled.