This Is Now And The Rest Is History

*Ricky*

This was the most embarrassing moment of my entire life.
Here I was, sitting with Nini on her couch, while I was crying my eyes out over literally nothing that she could fix while she had to sit here and comfort my ass.
We were still hugging, and even though I've been leaning on her shoulder for more than three minutes, I could not bring myself to stop crying.
It was so easy with Nini, and she made me feel like I shouldn't worry about expressing my feelings in front of her.
"It's okay," she told me, again.
But I knew it wasn't.
"She can't keep...doing this to me," I said in between breaths.
"She's not doing it on purpose," Nini reassured.
"She's doing what makes her happy."
"Yeah," I said, pulling away from Nini. "And what makes her happy, is making my dad and I depressed. I mean, look at me!" I spread my arms open.
"Ricky..."
"What?" I said, a little more sternly than I intended to.
She flinched a little bit at my tone.
"All I'm trying to say is..." She paused.
"Your mom is happy. She's happy, Ricky. For the first time, in a long time. You had nothing to do with it, and they did everything they could to make sure you took this change in the best way possible. She's not coming back, Ricky," she said, which didn't help at all.
"You need to accept that."
I shook my head slightly, more tears finding its way into my eyes.
"I just want it to stop," I whispered, hoping she didn't really hear that.
"I want my life to be back to the way it was," I said a little louder. "When I was happy."
Nini just sat there and listened. I wanted her to say something, but even I couldn't think of what I wanted her to say.
"I should go," I said, and started to get up off the couch. "Thank you for everything, Nini."
I started to walk towards her front door, grabbing my sweatshirt and putting it on, when I heard her call my name.
I turned around, to see her walking towards me.
"Why do you do that?" She asked.
I stood and stared at her.
"Why do you come over here, tell me everything, and then walk away like nothing happened?"
She came closer to me.
"You and I both know that I am not good at giving advice," she started.
"But if there is one thing that I have to say to you, it would be to never forget."
I did know that she wasn't great at giving advice, which is why I was so confused when she told me to never forget.
"Never forget your mom," she said, sternly.
"I don't care how hard you try to get her to leave your life, but you can't. It doesn't work like that. Do you think she'll forget you?"
"I'm her son," I said back. "She wouldn't."
"And she's your mom."
I put my hands in my sweatshirt pocket, and took my gaze off of Nini.
"You and her will always share something special, and I don't care if you disagree because I know for a fact that you have your sunflower locket in your pocket right now."
My sunflower locket.
She was right. I never went anywhere without it.
I reached in my jean pocket and took out the gold charm.
"She will always be with you, Ricky. Whether you like it or not."
A tear squeezed passed my closed eyes, another defeat of the night.
"Come here," she said, and we embraced each other.
I didn't realize how stupid I had been with Nini. She was right here in front of me and I was already starting to push her away.
"Do you promise not to bury your feelings anymore?" She asked, still hugging.
"I don't want to see you like I did tonight again, okay? You deserve better than that."
"I promise I'll tell you everything from now on," I told her, gently pulling away, putting my sunflower back.
Then we heard both of Nini's moms pull into the driveway, the headlights cutting a beam of light through the rain.
"Should I-"
"No," she cut off.

*Nini*

I didn't want Ricky to leave me just yet. It was Saturday, the last late night before school, and I wouldn't want to spend it with anyone except Ricky.
"Stay here," I told Ricky, smiling, as I opened the door and ran outside to catch my moms before they got out of the car.
"Moms," I called, as I ran up to their car.
Carol, who was in the drivers seat rolled down her window.
"Nini Salazar-Roberts! It is 15 degrees outside while raining, and you don't have-"
"I need you to leave for the night," I blurted out, crossing my arms because it was freezing, and I didn't have shoes on, which made matters worse.
"What?" Carol and Dana said together.
"Ricky's here," I told them.
"He's had a really rough night, and I want to have a little date night with him here at the house. Do you think you could stay up at Grandmas tonight?"
Carol looked at Dana, and then back at me.
"Nini, are you crazy?" Dana said.
"Yes! That's why I want to do it. Please," I said.
Carol seemed to understand a little more than Dana did.
"Alright. Just for tonight. It's back to school in two days," she said.
"Yes! Thank you!" I exclaimed and reached in the car to kiss her on the cheek.
Then I ran back inside to meet Ricky.
"Where are your parents?" Ricky asked, as I opened the door.
I didn't realize how cold I was until I stepped back inside.
"They decided to stay the night at my Grandma's house," I shivered. "I wanted us to have a little date night."
Ricky smiled, and that was enough to warm my heart.
"I need to go upstairs and get into warmer clothes," I shivered again, about to go up my stairs until Ricky started to pull his sweatshirt off.
"Here," he smiled, offering it.
"No, you don't have to-" I said, about to walk around him, until he stopped me, placed me in front of him and put the sweatshirt on me himself.
As soon as the fabric hit my shoulders, I could smell his cologne that he always used, that I loved.
The sweatshirt was black and dark blue tye dye with the East High lacrosse team logo on the front and the word "Bowen" was on the back with his number 22.
"Better?" He said.
I stood up on my toes and pecked his lips.
Then it lead into a kiss.
"Yes," I smiled.
He smiled back, his eyes no longer having that pained expression anymore.
"Now let's go. I have something in mind for us tonight," I said as I dragged him into the kitchen.

While I was proof-reading this, I saw that my story hit #1 for #rini! I'm really glad that you guys are liking the story so far!
Feel free to comment story plot suggestions and I might find ways to incorporate the idea in!
Thank you, love you all.