And Bet Against The Odds

(A/N) wow guys! My story at the moment is #8 ranked for #rini! That's awesome!

*Nini*

As soon as I opened my eyes, I was staring directly at Ricky.
I must have turned over to face him in my sleep.
He was sound asleep, letting out small breaths.
I looked at the time and it was 8:45 in the morning.
Ricky never slept in, so he must have been tired.
I decided to get up and check to see if my moms had come home yet. Strangely enough, I had the energy to. And then I realized that I felt a lot better. My headache was gone and I was actually hungry.
I got up and made my way into the hallway to check in on my moms room. There wasn't anybody in there, which meant they were still at the hotel.
It was kind of disappointing that they weren't home first thing in the morning for Christmas.
I walked back into my room to get clothes to change into and brought them into my bathroom, carefully closing my door so I wouldn't wake Ricky, and took a shower.

*Ricky*

I woke up at 9:00, which was late for me. The first thing I noticed was that Nini wasn't here. But then I heard the shower running.
I decided to check my phone for messages and there were a few from Red and one from my dad.
Dad: Hey, bud. Mrs. and Mrs. Salazar-Roberts invited us to their Christmas dinner tonight. Did you want to?
Me: Uh, yeah, sure. Should I stay here until then, or come home?
Dad: If it's okay with Nini and her parents, you can stay and help get ready for her grandparents to come over. Be good.

I hope Nini was okay with my dad and I coming over and barging into their tradition. I hope she was, because it sounded really fun. But then reality struck, and I had realized that my Christmas present for Nini was in my car.
I didn't expect to stay over last night, and I still had it in there from when I bought it about six months ago.
I quietly tiptoed down her stairs and went to the garage to unlock my car.
I didn't know how long Nini had been in the shower, but I knew for a fact she took long showers, so I figured I had a lot of time.
I grabbed her present, which was a small box wrapped in pink and silver wrapping and locked my car and headed back into her house.
When I got back inside, the shower was still running, so I was happy that she wouldn't have noticed that I was gone.
After another ten minutes, Nini walked in, while I was laying on her bed, scrolling through Instagram.
"Hey," I said, sitting up.
"Hey," she smiled.
"Um, how are you feeling?"
"Good," she replied, shutting her door and hanging up her towel on the back. "I actually don't feel bad at all."
I was so relieved to hear that.
"Do you know when your parents are coming home?" I asked.
"They should be home any minute," she said, sitting down on the bed with me.
She was wearing a red tube top and green and grey plaid pants. She looked great, even without makeup and her hair was still wet.
"Did you get the text about-" I started but Nini cut me off.
"Yes," she said. "And I'm totally okay with you staying for dinner."
We both smiled and she leaned in for a kiss, which I gladly took.
"Oh, and hey," I said, reaching into my pocket, pulling out the pink and silver box.
"Merry Christmas."
She looked surprised as I placed it in her hands.
She looked up at me. "You didn't have to!" She said.
"No, but I wanted to. Open it," I exclaimed.
She smiled and gently took off the top.
"Oh my god," she laughed.
She pulled out the pair of earrings that I bought her before we broke up.
"How-" she said grinning widely.
"Remember when we were dating about six months ago and we went to that store...oh god what was it called?"
"A Rustic Christmas?" She said.
"Yes!" I exclaimed. "The one that's open all year round but only sells Christmas stuff. So remember when we went there and you found those pair of earrings in the display case at the back of the store and you told me, 'these are beautiful'?"
"Yes," she laughed, looking down at them again.
"Well, the next day I went back and bought them," I said.
They were the cutest earrings too and they would match her skin tone perfectly.
They were little red Santa hats, but the Pom Pom on the end of the hats were small diamonds instead of a white puff.
"Ricky, this is so sweet," she said, pulling me into a hug. "Thank you."
We stayed hugging for a little while until Nini pulled away.
"And look," she said, reaching into her bedside table drawer, pulling out a small bag with a snowman on it.
"What's this?" I smiled.
"Go on," she said, handing it to me.
I took out the tissue paper, which revealed a pair of skateboard wheels.
"Nini Salazar-Roberts," I shook my head in disbelief.
"How the heck do you know-"
"Ricky, come on," she grinned.
"You like to complain."
I couldn't argue with that. I always talked about how my skateboard wheels on my skateboard were getting scratched up and they needed to either be fixed, or replaced. Thankfully I had an amazing girlfriend who did it for me.
"You have absolutely no idea how much this means to me."
"Oh, but I think I do. That's why I got them for you. Merry Christmas, Ricky."
"Merry Christmas, Nini," I said back and we kissed again.
This time, it was a little more heated, but nothing too intense, given we had only really been dating for two days.
Then we heard the front door open, pulling away from each other.
"Ho ho ho! Merry Christmas!" said a woman in a deep voice.
"Carol," we both said in unison, laughing.
We practically ran out of her room and Nini went down the stairs to give her moms a hug.
"Merry Christmas," she said to them both.
I stood halfway down their stairs, admiring the relationship they all shared.
"Ricky," Dana called. "Get in here."
I smiled and went down to join them in their group hug.
There was a strange feeling that I felt when hugging Nini and her moms. It almost felt like we were a family.
And I promised to myself that I would do whatever it took to never leave Nini again.