Soaring, Flying

you guys are the best :)

*Nini*

"Text me if you need me," Kourtney said, concerned.
"Kourt," I smiled. "It's not a big deal. It's just a date."
It's been two weeks since spring break, which only meant that it was my and Ricky's 6 month anniversary.
"Yeah but whenever you two have a date night, something goes wrong."
I sat down at my vanity to touch up on my makeup.
"Give an example," I said.
Kourtney sighed and sat down on my bed.
"The Christmas dance, Ricky had a mental break down. You guys went to the lake, you had a mental break down. And then-"
"I'm not going to have a mental break down," I smiled, looking at her through my mirror.
"Please just text me if you need me. I'm not doing anything tonight."
I turned around to face her.
"Okay."
Kourtney looked at her phone. "Oh! It's 6:00! He's probably waiting!"
I shot up from my chair, took a quick glance at my outfit again; white jeans and a short sleeve pink shirt. Nothing special.
"Where are you guys going again?" Kourtney asked and she handed me a pair of earrings.
"Hut's Hill. We're having a picnic."
"Cute," she responded.
"Thanks again for coming. I'll talk to you when I get back," I told her, heading out of my room, Kourtney following.
She followed me out of my house as I shut the door behind me.
"Good luck love," she said and I saluted her, our small, fun inside joke.
She got in her car, waved, and took off.
No more than a minute later, Ricky arrived.
A smile flashed across his face when he saw me.
"There's my Gabriella," he called out the window.
"You have to stop doing that," I teased. "The musical was seven months ago."
Ricky got out of the car, walked up to me and slowly leaned down to share a kiss.
"Shall we?" He smiled, ignoring my statement.
I beamed.
He walked me to the car door and opened it for me, allowing me to get in.
He shut the door once I was in, and hurried back to the drivers seat.
"Ready?" He asked.
I nodded, excited.
"I brought salad, sandwiches, and lemon bars," he told me.
I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "So grateful I have a boy who likes to cook and bake."
"Just one of my many talents."
He backed out of the driveway and we were off to Hut's Hill.

*Ricky*

"We've arrived," I exclaimed as I parked down by the bottom of Hut's Hill, which was literally just a big hill overlooking all of Salt Lake City. It was a huge tourist attraction, and loved by the locals but tonight, it was empty.
It was perfect.
Nini and I brought the food and blankets to the top of the hill, which yes, was a very difficult task.
Nini set up the blanket on the ground as I sorted through the food.
"We're all good," she smiled, which was extremely adorable.
Timing the sun was the hardest part of this plan. It was late June, so the sun was up for longer, however we were also higher up in the sky because of the hill.
But if my calculations were right. The sun shone faintly across Salt Lake City, casting an orange-red filter on everything. It was beautiful.
We both sat down on the blanket.
"Thanks for doing this," Nini told me, looking at me. "You didn't have to. We could have ordered out, if it was easier."
"I always make time for us," I reassured her, making eye contact.
We sat in comfortable silence as we ate our salads and sandwiches.
They were really good, not to brag.
"You know..." I started. "I think the scientists who first created sunscreen are corrupt."
"Excuse me?" Nini said, looking at me.
"It's all just a money marketing fraud. Almost like some pyramid scheme type shit."
"How did you even come up with this?" Nini asked, trying to hide a smile.
"Think about it. It's all just a scam to trick people into buying lotion that nobody needs."
"You're mentally unstable," Nini told me, looking back down at salad.
I laughed.
The sun was still perfect.
"I hope you know I'm never leaving you," Nini stated, looking up at me.
"Didn't know we were getting into such a deep topic tonight," I smiled.
She smiled back. "I'm serious. I don't want you to think that I would."
"I know you wouldn't," I admitted.
"You don't know that," she responded.
I moved closer to her. "You're worrying again."
She half-smiled. "I know. I just thought you'd like to know."
"I've known it for awhile. We need each other. You and I both know that without each other, we're a mess."
"You're not wrong."
I smiled and we made eye contact.
"I love you," Nini whispered.
It was barely audible but it was there, as if the words were floating above us, haunting us both.
Suddenly I was that boy in Nini's room. The boy who received a song from the girl he loved. The boy who didn't have the courage to admit his feelings.
The feeling returned from that night.
"Ricky?" Nini asked, and there was no mistaking the disappointment in her voice.
"I love you too," I told her, and as soon as the words left my mouth, I felt free.
Her face brightened up. "You said it."
I let out a breath of relief. "I love you."
"I love you too," she smiled, standing up, pulling me with her.
I couldn't stop smiling. I love her. I love her so much.
"I love you," I repeated again, still fascinated with the way they words found it's way out of my mouth.
She smiled and pulled me in for a kiss.
Then she pulled away first and took my hands in hers and we ran down the hill, as if we were chasing the sun.
We were both screaming and laughing like children at recess but there was no one here to judge.
Nini let go of my hands and spun around, dancing in the red sunlight. I came up to her, and she ran away from me.
I ended up chasing her halfway up the hill, until I grabbed her waist and spun her around as if we were the only ones left in the world. Nothing else mattered or compared to this moment.
I set her down and we ran back up to the top of Hut's Hill, out of breath.
We looked out at the view over Salt Lake City, as the last few moments of sun were present.
We were both holding hands and she raised them up and yelled out loud in happiness. I did the same and we were both just two delirious kids, on top of a hill, screaming our lungs out, and it was the best feeling in the world.
I closed my eyes and I felt like I was free. For the first time in forever, there was nothing weighing me down and I was as light as air. This is what true love feels like.

(A/N) Ahh I'm sorry guys for the super slow updates but this story is wrapping up and I'm going to miss writing! Thanks for your patience, and comment any last chapter suggestions! <3