It Is Better By Far To Keep Things As They Are

*Ricky*

27 days. I have been in Chicago for 27 days.
My first few days back were a mess.
Well, not a mess. Just hectic.
My mom is very happy right now. She has a well paying job, much better than she had in Salt Lake City, and well, I guess you could say I made her life even better by staying here.
Todd on the other hand is fine. I don't talk to him much, considering I still don't fully like him.
Although he bought me a slice of blueberry pie the other day which I have to admit, was appreciated.
He works seven hours a day, so is home when I get home from school.
My mom however, works twelve hours a day.
7:30 am to 7:30 pm.
And that's what also gets me really mad sometimes.
She and my dad felt that I would be better off here because of my dads promotion and he wasn't home as much half of the week.
Well, now my mom isn't home much for the entire week.
'But now you have Todd,' she'll say.
'I'd rather spend this time with you. Or dad,' I'd say back.
School had been the toughest part though.
I've made friends, but not friends.
Especially not like my friends from East High.
You know what I mean?
I have people in my class who will want to work together and stuff like that. I even met someone at the skate park who has the same interests as me.
Apparently there are a lot of skateparks in Chicago.
I call Nini every night.
I don't know when I'm going to see her next or how long this will last. As much as I want to be with her, long distance is so hard.
And she's probably met someone way better and more handsome than me back in Salt Lake City.

*Nini*

Uh, yeah.
Things have been okay.
I mean, I'm still not used to to the fact that he's almost 2,000 miles away.
Even though we FaceTime every night, he looks and acts different.
'Are you sure you're okay?' I asked him one night.
He looked really sad and tired.
'Yeah...why would you ask that?' He asked with a nervous laugh.
'I don't know. You just seem like you don't want to talk.'
'I just...I don't know. I guess I'm tired,' he replied.
We hung up shortly after.

*Ricky*

As I'm walking home from school, Anna comes up behind me, tapping me on the shoulder.
Walking home from school isn't as big of a deal as I thought.
The high school has a lot of kids, but not a lot of buses, so the buses are very crowded. I decided to just deal with it and walk two miles to and from school.
"So what are you doing this afternoon?" She asks me.
Anna is great.
She's been my first friend since I moved here.
And yeah, I guess I consider her as a friend.
Although, I still don't know much about her.
"Probably just school work," I say as we walk.
Anna is also my neighbor, which is ironic.
"So listen," she said. "We have that slideshow presentation for US History, right?"
I nod.
"I was thinking we could work on it together," she suggested.
I contemplated on working with her. Anna is smart in certain subjects, but others not so much.
Unfortunately she was really good at history.
"I guess that could work. I mean, history isn't my strong subject, and you're obviously really good at it, so sure, why not," I reply, looking at her.
Nini and Anna are two completely different people.
Like...polar opposites.
While Nini has brown hair, loves theatre, writes songs, and is short, Anna is blonde, wears glasses, plays many sports and is five foot nine.
If the two ever met, it would not be pretty.
"I'll meet you at your house tonight at 6:00?" She asked.
"Tonight?" I asked, looking at her.
"Yeah, we might as well get a head start."
"O-okay," I said back.

It's 10:30 pm and we still haven't gotten half of it done.
We were both in my room, both of us sitting on my bed in front of her laptop.
"This is going to take us forever," she commented.
"I know," I said, putting my pencil down.
While Anna worked on the slide show, I took notes from our textbook to use in future slides.
"It's getting late and it's a school night," she said, and started to exit out of all of our open tabs on her laptop.
I stood up from my bed to put my notebook and textbook back in my backpack.
"I'll see you tomorrow in English?" I said, smiling.
She stood up, put her books and laptop in her backpack and walked over to me.
"To Kill A Mockingbird. Yay," she said with sarcasm.
I laughed.
"Yeah, it's not the best, but-" she cut me off with a kiss.
At first I was shocked, and I don't know why or even how I let it happen.
I pushed her off of me.
"Anna, what the hell?" I asked.
She looked out the window then back at me.
"Listen, you can't live your life with your mind focused on Salt Lake City," she said, looking like she didn't regret what just happened at all.
"I have a girlfriend," I said.
She smiled. "I know, Ricky."
"Then...then why did you just-"
"To prove to you that you can have a good time here. If you let yourself," she explained.
"Just because I'm trying to forget life back in Utah, does not mean I'm forgetting Nini," I said.
"You told me that you'd make your distance relationship work until college. Two years, Ricky! You can't keep doing this for two years!" She exclaimed.
"So you're trying to break Nini and I up so then we can date?" I ask, getting a little angry.
"I'm not saying that I'm trying to break you both up, I'm just trying to warn you, okay?" she shrugged.
"Warn me?" I almost yelled.
"Where was the warning before you kissed me?"
She sighed and shook her head.
"Goodnight, Ricky," she said, frustrated, and turned to leave.
I watched her walk over to her house next door from my bedroom window.
I couldn't believe she had the audacity to try and break us up.
It's not going to work.
It will never work.
It can't.
Right?

*Nini*

I really miss Ricky Bowen, I wrote into my journal that I kept under my bed. I hope he's not being an idiot.