Would My Wildest Dreams Feel Like Home?

*Nini*

April 28th. The first day of spring break.
Normally, I would be spending every waking moment with either my moms, Kourtney or Ricky.
But with just my luck, my moms were still sleeping, Kourtney was still sleeping, and Ricky was out for breakfast with his dad.
It was 7:30 in the morning and I was jogging towards a not-so-familiar house.
He was staying at his cousins house, which happened to be a mile down from my house.
We planned to meet at his cousins house and then jog around the neighborhood, just like friends would.
Just running that one mile to his house had already made me exhausted.
"Hey," I breathed, stopping in front of his driveway.
"Hey!" EJ said back, smiling. "Ready?"
I nodded.
We both took off in the direction that I was originally running when I came to his house.
"Thanks for agreeing to do this," he told me after we dominated our first mile.
"Yeah," I breathed heavily. "It's not a problem. It's not like..."
I took another deep breath.
"It's not like I had anything better to do."
"Ouch, thanks," he said teasingly.
"I didn't mean it like that," I joked. "Spring break this year isn't going to be every eventful. I might as well exercise."
We jogged a whole other half mile before I asked to take a break.
We stopped by a scenic area on the border of Salt Lake City where there was a bench where you could see some of Utah's mountains.
I sat down on the bench.
"It's not good to sit down after a run, you know," EJ said, reaching for the hem of his t-shirt and pulling it off.
"It's fifty degrees out," I reminded him, wondering why he felt the need to take his shirt off in front of his ex girlfriend.
"Hey, I'm hot," he replied.
I accidentally caught myself staring at his abdomen, but he noticed, and I quickly looked away.
"Sorry," I said.
He smiled and sat down next to me on the bench.
"You're fine."
I was still breathing heavily from our run.
"How's Ricky?" He asked.
It still felt odd that they made up and were good friends.
"He's good, I think. He usually goes with his mom on vacations over spring break so I think he's a little bit sad."
"I can understand that," EJ said.
"Not to be rude," I started. "But I don't think you do."
"Neither do you," he said back, looking at me.
"No, but at least I can try to help him if he needs it. I don't understand and he knows that."
We sat in comfortable silence for a few quiet moments.
"I'm uh...talking to this girl," he stuttered, nervously.
"Seriously?" I smiled, looking at him.
"Yeah," he gently laughed. "Gina."
"No way!" I exclaimed. "That's so great for the both of you!"
"Thank you, Nins. I wasn't sure if you'd be mad or anything."
I didn't like that he still called me Nins, but I pushed that aside.
"Why would I be mad?"
"I'm not sure," he admitted. "I thought that maybe there's a part of you that thought I was still on...reserve? I guess."
"Reserve?" I smiled.
"Something like that," he admitted.
"EJ, I'm with Ricky. We're friends, right? And friends always support friends. I'm happy for you, dude."
He smiled and we shared a quick hug.
"Ready to go back?" He asked.
I nodded. "Just one thing. Do you have two dollars on you?"
"Yeah..."
He reached into his pocket and took out his wallet.
"Can I borrow it? I'll pay you back."
He handed me two dollars.
"What's that for?" he asked.
I stood up and looked over towards the bus stop that was directly across the road from where we were.
"I'm taking the bus home."
EJ laughed. "That is the Nini I know."
"I'll see you sometime this week?" I asked. "We can go on another run?"
"Fine. But you're running the whole way. Consider this a cheat day," he smiled.
"Alright, fine. Bye, loser," I said and ran across the road to wait for the bus.

*Ricky*

"You're joking."
"I am not joking," I smiled. "My dad said it was okay, as long as your moms are cool with it. It will only be for three days. We'd stay in a hotel or something. Are you comfortable doing that?"
I was with Nini on top of my roof, while we had blankets and pillows and were laying down, while I told her what my dad suggested at breakfast this morning.
If everything goes according to plan, our whole friend group will be going to Santa Monica, California in two days.
"And...the whole gang will be there?" She asked in disbelief.
"My dad thought it was appropriate for everyone to go. I'm sorry if-"
She cut me off with a quick kiss.
"This is a dream come true, Ricky. I have no words," she beamed.
I grinned back. "I've talked to Red, Kourt, EJ, Ashlyn, and Carlos. Seb and Gina aren't going to make it because they're away for the week."
"So it's just the seven of us?" She asked.
"Yeah," I smiled.
She hugged me. "This is going to be amazing. I can't believe you and your dad set all of this up!"
"Yeah, it wasn't easy," I admitted.
Nini reached into her pocket and took out her phone.
"I'll call my moms and see if they're okay with it," she explained, dialing their number.
I nodded.
"Hello?" I heard Carols voice through the phone. Nini put it on speaker.
"Hey, mom! You're on speaker. Ricky's here," Nini said.
"Hey, Mrs. Salazar-Roberts," I said into Nini's phone.
"Hi, Ricky," she said back.
"So mom, I have a question for you and Dana," Nini spoke.
"Okay," Carol said back.
"My friends and I are planning on going to Santa Monica in three days for spring break. Seb and Gina aren't going, but the rest of us are. Do you mind if I go?"
"I'll be with her pretty much the whole time to make sure she stays out of trouble," I chimed in.
There was a bit of silence through the phone.
I had to admit I was getting nervous.
"Uh...okay," Carol softly said. "That's sounds like a lot of fun!"
We both looked at each other and grinned.
"Mom, this is the best thing you've ever said to me. Thank you thank you!"
Carol laughed.
"We'll discuss the details more when you get home, okay Nini? Dana and I need to set rules."
"Of course," Nini agreed.
"Well, was that all?" Carol asked.
"Yes," Nini couldn't stop smiling. Neither could I.
"Bye, mom. And thank you again!"
She hung up.
We both embraced each other in excitement like preschoolers would.
"I know I don't say this a lot, but I love you," Nini told me, pulling away from the hug.
"We really should say it more often, huh?" I asked, tilting my head.
She was too excited to answer my question and she threw herself around me once more, which I gladly accepted and returned.