You Know The World Can See Us

(A/N) #4 on #rini? thank you so much guys!
WARNING~~ Long Chapter!

*Nini*

"Mom," I said to Carol. "This is absolutely amazing."
Her Christmas breakfast was always the same every year.
"Agreed," Ricky complimented.
The meal consisted of pastries, waffles, bowls of fruit, and bacon. And every year, Carol did an amazing job.
Having Ricky with us for breakfast was a little odd. I wasn't complaining, but it just felt like I couldn't one hundred percent be myself.
"How was your night, Nini?" Dana asked.
I looked at Ricky, who looked back at me.
"It was actually really nice," I smiled.
Ricky smiled back and continued eating.
"Uh oh," Carol smirked.
"Did my daughter and her boyfriend-"
"No," we both said nervously.
Then we all laughed together. Like a family.

*Ricky*

After breakfast, I offered to help clean up from the huge meal, but Nini's parents said that they would take care of it, and in about ten minutes, it was time to open up the presents around the tree.
In those ten minutes, Nini and I talked up in her bedroom. We exchanged short little memories and laughed a lot, which eventually lead to a small make out session.
Nothing too intense, of course.
We would save that for a night alone when Nini wasn't sick.
"Nini, Ricky!" Dana called from downstairs.
We pulled apart and smiled.
"One more," Nini smiled, and we kissed again, before heading downstairs.
I sat on the floor next to Nini while her moms sat opposite us on the couch.
I loved watching Nini and her parents interact. It made me have such a happy feeling that her relationship with her moms was strong and healthy. I couldn't imagine what I would do if Nini was in my situation.
After Nini opened up her presents from both Carol and Dana, which were mostly clothes and a new laptop, which she has been asking for for awhile now, since her old one kept crashing.
"Here, Ricky," Carol said, grabbing a rectangular box from under the tree.
They got me a present?
"Mrs. Salazar-Roberts, you didn't have to get me anything," I said, still in a little bit of shock, as she placed it in my hands.
"It was our pleasure," Dana smiled.
I looked at Nini and she nodded, telling me to go on and open it.
I took the wrapping off and opened the cardboard box with surprising ease.
Inside was a a small, gold piece of metal in the shape of a sunflower.
"See if you can open it up," Carol said.
I took it out of the box, fingered it a little bit and pried it open.
The size of the sunflower was about the size of a quarter.
Inside was a black and white photo of my mom, my dad, Carol, Dana, Nini, and myself.
This photo was taken about four years ago when both of our families were best friends, and did everything together.
I remember this memory so vividly.
We all went down to the Salt Lake City river and took this for my moms birthday.
I almost lost it. I had to physically hold my breath so I wouldn't let any sound out.
Seeing both of our families together like that made me miss everything so much, that it started to hurt.
But I loved it. I loved it a lot.
"Carol," I said, but my voice cracked really bad, and I looked back down at the charm.
"I don't know what to say."
I closed the sunflower locket and flipped it over. On the back, the words:

Be Like A Pineapple

we're engraved.
That's when I lost control of my emotions and I let out a small cry.
I closed my eyes in embarrassment.
I had to wipe my eyes, and at least try to compose myself a little bit in front of Nini's family.
"Aw, Ricky," Nini said and pulled me in for a hug.
The phrase, "Be like a pineapple" was said by my mom a lot. She always told Nini and I to be like a pineapple. She said that pineapples stood tall, were sweet on the inside, and wore crowns.
She hasn't said that phrase in about two years, but I've never forgotten it.
Nini pulled away from the hug.
"Is it too much?" She asked.
I couldn't stop staring at it.
"I love it," I told Nini, running my fingers through my hair, still trying to compose myself more.
Not only did it have sentimental value, but it was beautiful.
I looked up at Carol and Dana, who were also fighting tears. I stood up and walked over to them and they stood up as well. All three of us shared a big hug.
"This means the world to me," I told them.
"Thank you."
They both smiled, pulling away.
I went to sit back down on the ground with Nini.
I felt bad not getting Carol and Dana anything, especially since they gave me this gift.
In all honesty, I didn't know I would be spending Christmas with them.
I made a mental note to text my dad later to bring over some chocolate, or an ornament or something for them.
"Is that everything?" Nini asked.
"Looks like it!" Dana exclaimed.
"Alright you two," Carol said to us both.
"You've had your fun for this morning. Now it's time to get cleaning and getting ready for them to come up."
Them were Nini's grandparents. I assumed.
"Moms," Nini complained. "It's Christmas. Can't Ricky and I just hang out?"
"After you get your work done," Carol said. "It won't take too long."
"Of course," I said, wiping the last bit of moisture out from under my eyes.

*Nini*

Cleaning the house didn't take nearly as much time as I thought it would. Especially since Ricky helped a lot.
We were done in two hours, which is nothing, compared to most years when it takes me about five hours.
My moms went out to the store to pick up last minute groceries for dinner.
That left Ricky and I alone. Again.
This time we were in the kitchen and I was siting on top of the island, while Ricky sat on a stool next to me.
"Your family is really into Christmas," he commented.
"Yeah I guess so. My grandparents are very religious and they like Christmas, which puts a lot of pressure on my moms. It has to be perfect," I said back.
We sat there for a few quiet moments when Ricky pulled his gold locket out of his pocket.
He opened it and held it in his hand.
I could tell he was getting emotional again, and I wanted to say something, but couldn't find the words.
"You know I never told you about this picture," he said softly.
He carefully placed it in my hands.
"That was when I knew," he said.
I looked at the small picture inside. Ricky and I were in front of our families, grinning wide, our arms around each other, hugging.
"That's when I knew I liked you."
I noticed how happy Ricky's mom and dad were.
"Why didn't you say anything about it back then?" I asked.
"I thought it would ruin our friendship."
I looked back up at him and gave him the locket back.
"And it did," he continued. "At least for a little while." He put the sunflower in his pocket.
"I won't let that happen again," I reassured.
Ricky stood up and faced me, so we were only about a foot apart. Since I was sitting on the island, our eye level matched perfectly.
"I won't either."
"I..I'm really sorry about my relationship with EJ," I blurted out.
"I was just mad. And he was just there. I didn't see a future with him. But I stayed with him because it made you jealous. And maybe a little part of me enjoyed seeing you like that. I'm sorry."
He took my hands in his.
"You don't have to worry anymore, okay?"
"Why not?" I asked.
He was about to say something but stopped himself.
He bit his lip.
"Because..."
What happened next seemed to play like a movie.
No, not a movie. A musical. Like the closing act to a romance musical.
He stepped forward and crashed his lips on mine.
Kissing Ricky Bowen seriously had an affect on me.
Both of his hands were on my waist and mine were on his shoulders, occasionally running through his curls.
He took his hand and put it underneath my chin, lifting it up to kiss him easier.
Then he slowly pulled away.
"Did that answer your question?" He breathed.
I nodded and we both fell into a hug.
"Thank you for being here," I whispered.
He hugged a little tighter, and I felt that if I left this moment, my entire world would collapse.