But Now It's Easy To See

WARNING~~ Long Chapter

*Ricky*

"I love you too."
Oh my god.
She said it. I said it.
It's been said.
We both can't take it back. Those words are free and out in the open.
Now listen, I wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it.
I really do think I love Nini.
But every time I think that I love her, I'm reminded that whoever I love, is just another person that's going to leave me.
Which is why I had the hardest time saying it a few months ago.
But this is new Ricky. And old Ricky made the same mistake before.
Every time thunder erupted above and around us, Nini would flinch.
I totally forgot that she feared thunderstorms, and that made me feel even worse about the situation.
"My dads on his way," I reminded her, even though it was only 20 minutes ago that I called him.
He still had a ways to come.
I rubbed Nini's back, trying to calm her nerves.
I looked out the window and it was almost like the storm was getting worse.
God I hope not.
And to make things even worse, it was getting very dark out.
"Ricky?" Nini said.
"Yeah?"
"What's gonna happen if your dad can't make it? What if there's power lines down, and he won't be able to pick us up?" She asked, worried.
Nini always did this. She would make up the worst possible scenarios to a bad situation.
Luckily, I thought of an easy way to distract her.
"Hey," I started.
"What's your favorite food?"
"Sushi," she replied.
"Okay, okay, good answer," I said back. "Favorite season?"
"Summer," she replied.
"Alright. What about your favorite summer activity?" I asked.
"Swimming or bike riding."
"Favorite ice cream flavor?"
"Vanilla."
"So," I started, putting all of this information together.
"Would you mind if sometime in the summer, I take you to the sushi restaurant downtown, then we bike to the Ice Creamery and bike back to my house to swim on my pool?"
"That sounds perfect," she said, her lips brushing up against my shirt.
I smiled, even though she couldn't see it.
The next 45 minutes felt like it lasted a decade.
The storm did indeed get worse and the water level of the lake was getting really high from all of the rain.
It was also almost pitch black outside, except for the light posts around the lake.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a flood soon.
Another tree fell down somewhere near us but we couldn't see where, we only heard it crack and fall.
Nini's heart rate would not stop beating fast, and I know this because I eventually pulled her up on my chest so we were hugging and we stayed wrapped up in each other until my dad finally arrived.
I opened up the door and hopped out, lending Nini a hand, so she could get out too.
I kept holding on to her hand as we ran though the rain and climbed over the tree trunk to meet my dad on the other side.
We both quickly got inside, both of us in the back seat.
"Ricky, Nini, are you both okay?" My dad asked, a little worried.
"Nini's a little nervous but we're fine. What about my car?" I asked.
"I brought a rope. We're going to attach it to your car and hopefully I can drag it over the trunk with my car. The tree trunk isn't that big anyways."
"In the middle of a freaking hurricane?" I exclaimed.
"Rick, we cant leave your car. Plus, all of your stuff is in there, right? Nini's too?"
"Yeah..." I said.
"Then come on," my dad said, handing me the rope.
I was about to open the door when Nini grabbed my arm.
"Be careful. I mean it," she said.
I nodded.
I quickly got out and so did my dad.
He took one end of the rope and I took the other, climbing over the tree trunk, and fastened the rope to the grill on the front of my car tightly.
The rain was freezing and I was instantly soaked.
Then I ran back over the tree trunk and into my dads car.
"See, I'm fine," I told Nini, bringing her in for a hug.
My dad was still outside, tying the rope to the grill of his car.
Then he finished and hurried back in.
"Now I'm not sure this will work, but we can try it," he said.
My dad started his car and backed up, putting tension on the rope and pulling my car.
It pulled it up to the tree trunk, but it didn't make it over.
"Dad, someone needs to lift up the front part of the car to make it over."
My dad quickly opened his car door.
"Get in the drivers seat, Rick," he said.
I climbed into the front seat and watched my dad climb over the tree to lift up the front part of my car.
My car wasn't very big, so I'm not surprised he lifted it.
I backed up my dads car, and my car eventually started to make its way over the trunk.
In no time, my car was over it.
"Come on," I told Nini and we both got out of the car to run into mine, while my dad went to his.
Once we were both inside my car, I let out a huge breath.
"Now let's get the hell out of here," Nini suggested.

*Nini*

God I hate thunderstorms. I hate feeling like you're surrounded my noise and there's no escape. It's like someone up in the sky is playing with you, trying to make you feel scared and trapped in the noise.
I hate that whenever thunder claps, the sound travels through my body and I can almost feel it pounding in my head.
Thankfully Ricky was here with me, or else I would have gone insane.
And thanks to his dad for getting his car pulled over the fallen tree trunk.
Ricky drove back to Salt Lake City, following his dad.
Luckily the storm was dying down, but it was still raining heavily.
Ricky's dad went a different way home, given he was going back to his house, while Ricky drove me home.
"I have an umbrella," Ricky said, reaching into the back seat to grab it.
Then he opened his door, opened up the umbrella and made his way over to my door, opened it up and I got out.
I met him under the light blue umbrella and we made our way up to my front door.

*Ricky*

Nini opened the door and she stepped inside. I didn't know if I should go in or not so I stayed just outside the door.
"Nini!" Carol cried running from the kitchen.
They both hugged.
"Are you okay? You worried both of us so much," Carol said, hugging Nini again.
"I'm fine, Carol," Nini said, pulling away from the hug.
"Ricky and his dad helped a lot."
Carol glanced over Nini's shoulder and we made eye contact.
"Ricky!" She said. "Come inside. Get out of the rain."
I quietly laughed nervously and folded up my umbrella, leaned it against the house and stepped inside.
Then Carol gave me a hug.
"Thank you for getting my daughter home safely," she told me.
"Of course."
"Nini, Ricky!" Dana exclaimed, coming down the stairs to meet us.
She gave Nini a hug and then me.
"I'm so glad you both are safe. The storm is getting really bad out there. Ricky, I'd suggest you get going on home before your dad gets worried," she said to me.
"Okay, thank you both," I told Carol and Dana.
I looked at Nini and smiled, our simple yet powerful gesture towards each other.
"Ricky, wait," she said, and came up to me, throwing her arms around my neck.
I returned the hug just as tightly.
"Thank you," she whispered.
We both pulled away before it got awkward in front of her moms.
"Anytime," I smiled and closed her front door behind me.
As I walked to my car, I couldn't help but smile.
Even though tonight turned out to be one hell of a date night, at the end of the day, it was all worth seeing Nini and her moms hug, them knowing their daughter is safe with me.