Chapter Twenty Two

The sound of the fire burning filled my ears as heat engulfed my cold body. It was odd to think that I actually found comfort here. There was a grey rug sat in front of the small fire, placed in the middle was a small glad table.

Smells of the different foods laid out hit my nose making my mouth tingle with anticipation. On either side of the table there was two soft cushions. A small smile spread across my face as humbling feeling over took me.

"did.. Did you do this?"

Gesturing for me to take a seat, the beta followed his own intruction as he  sat facing me.

"I did, I figured you needed more meat on those bones of yours."

Doubt filled me a little as I thought of the possibility of alpha finding out what was happening. Allowing me to eat was basically a crime in his eyes.

"don't worry, wolf is keeping an eye out, now please help your self"

The beta gently slid a plate towards me, hesitating a little I slowly out stretched my arm to accept the full plate of food. I wasn't even sure what half the things on the plate were. I was overwhelmed with gratitude and disbelief.

"so about the challenge? What exactly is it I have to do"

"Well to keep it brief you just have to declare that you bared witness to the challenge offering itself. Its custom to have a witness so neither party can deny accepting it."

My hands began to tremble slightly, as I thought over the betas explanation my mind exploring the dreaded outcome of making the same mistake twice. I didn't need another jagged scar on my already mauled back.

" what if they don't believe me? "

" you have to understand something breya, Jackson is a cocky son of a bitch, meaning your witness statement isn't really needed, he isn't going to back down because his pride is at stake".

My thoughts wondered over Jackson for a moment. Once upon a time he was my friend granted not a good one and has since only ever been cruel. But non the less I'd always rooted for the kindness I witnessed in his heart to outshine the bitterness that overtook it.

"please breya what ever you need to ask just ask."

"why Jackson? I mean why challenge him?"

The beta looked at me with curiosity swimming in his expression.

"actually I had never intended on challenging Jackson I did however plan to challenge Larsen himself."

"then what changed?"

The betas voice became serious as he spoke maybe even a little harsher than I was used to.

"well firstly he became the perfect option when he declared Larsen wanted to take you away. I knew I had to act sooner than I intended to before they were able to hide you away. Secondly and more importantly you are human breya and a women meaning no offence to you.. But he hurt you, and he did that on purpose so honestly I'd like to teach him some manners, he is the perfect example of shame on our kind just like Larsen. Abusing their strengths, abilities and titles "

Everything he said made sense, I couldn't help the twinge of hurt flicker in my heart at being reminded again of my incapability of defending myself against them.

" Larsens about to make an appearance "

My body reacted before I could, my eyes wide as trembles wracked my body. My mind wanted to get the food and throw it in the crackling fire. Instinct to hide my wrong doings and prevent any more harm coming to my already broken body. But I couldn't move  fear paralysing me making me incapable of doing anything.

"breath breya,its ok please breath I won't let anything happen to you".

The betas soft eyes bore into my own as he helped me regain the ability to breath again back. Gently he moved back to his seat once he was satisfied I wasn't turning blue. Slowly taking in breaths to try and steady my frantic heart.

"why are you so afraid?".

My eyes couldn't lie as I looked down at the food then the door.

"they starve you?"

Gently I mover my head from side to side before my trembling voice softly spoke.

"no but I'm only allowed porridge twice a day".

The growls emitting from the beta made me want to shrink into my shell and never come out.

"colby cool it, we can't afford to blow this mission, we will get justice but the right way".

I don't know if it was the authority in his tone or just his voice but I felt my body become less tense as an insane calmness washed over me. Making it possible for me to think again. The door to my hut flung open smacking against the wodden wall. I flinched slightly at the loud thud it made.

Bowing my head to the floor out of both instinct and habbit I braced myself for the next move of the alpha . The gentle sound of chewing met my ears making jt hard to resist the urge to look at the beta.

"what are you doing?"

I spoke before i could register what I was doing. I may have gotten a little more than confident in talking with the beta but it didn't mean I could trust thst he wouldn't turn against me. Especially if j disrespected him.

"relax"

Closing my eyes for a brief moment to regain my self I was practically waiting for the alpha to combust.

"well this looks cosey"

His voice had the dangerous edge of his wolf peaking through. Making me well aware of his fuming.

"thankyou, I thought so to. I'd of invited you to join but this place is well small."

No one could if missed the sarcastic tone of the beta. He was mocking the alpha purposely making him aware his secrets were being exposed. I knew the beta wouldn't realise that alpha would blame me but that didn't stop the gut wrenching dread from creeping up.

"you show up unannounced, then prance around MY land, MY pack and then interfere with MY human, I don't take orders from you, and you have out stayed your welcome colby. I want you gone"

I so desperately wanted to shout no.. I don't know why but the idea of being away from the bets seemed horrifying. The word sat on the tip of my tongue as I battled with myself. The beta only sat more comfortably as he outstretched his long legs. Gently crossing one foot over the other. His voice still firm with sarcasim.

"you know Larsen your temper tantrums won't wash with me. You and I both know I ain't going anywhere, just a little reminder. This land belongs to the king not you or any other mutt."

The raging raw that came from alpha made me flinch. My eyes closed as anxiety began to take hold of me. Without much warning alpha grabbed my arm snatching me from the ground the sharp sting in my arms told me his claws were pressing into my sensitive skin. His bruising grip was unbreakable.

The beta was on his feet quicker than I could blink. Lifting my head I met his eyes. Swirling in his ocean eyes was traces of Amber his wolf at the front ready to make his presence known.

"please don't colby"

The desperate plea in my voice snapped the beta out of his rage like state enough for him to control his shift.

"get your paws of the girl Larsen, I won't ask twice"